+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Completed upfront medical

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just an idea of what to expect for anyone in Halifax, NS.

So first off I've been dreading this for months now because I'm extremely overweight so I expected the doctor to be snarky/lecture me about my weight but it was quite the opposite. The DMP for Halifax is Dr. Kawchuk and he was pretty awesome. Funny guy, very personable. Here's a break down of my exam:

IN THE OFFICE - 1.5 HOURS TOTAL - Most of this was just waiting as there was at least 6 or 7 people before me. Actual exam was about 15-20 minutes:
- When we first entered I was asked to give a urine sample (literally you pee into one of those party cups)
- After waiting for over an hour the doctor called me to do a quick eye exam
- We then went into his office where he asked me if i've done chest x-ray before and if i had any abnormal results (i had one done for pneumonia when i was 14) after that he asked me about any meds I was taking. Taking BP medication so give him that.
- Took my BP (he said it was "adequate" whatever that means), weighed me, listened to my heart beat and lungs, also checked the glands in my neck and my thyroid
- Did this test where i have to tap my nose with my eyes closed
- Tested my reflexes (tapped on my inner elbow and knees)
- Laid on the table, check my ankles, poked around on my stomach "checking spleen and liver".

That was about it. Spoke to him asked if him he had an concerns about my weight or what i should do.....and he basically said "do what most people say to do...just don't try any fad diets". Also, canadian immigration doesn't care about weight so don't worry about that. Ok...fair enough..lol. Gave me the requisition forms for the chest X-ray and blood samples (Syphilis, HIV and Serum Creatinine [kidneys] since i'm being treated for HBP). Off to the hospital I go...

HOSPITAL X-RAY and BLOOD - 1hr
At the hospital it was pretty straight forward and fast. Not much waiting around, got the chest x-ray done and blood drawn. Then i had to go back to the office and get my proof of medical form and that was it.

Think i worried about this more than i should have...but never been comfortable about going to the doctor. Anyways..that was my experience. Hope it helped.

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
riddymon said:
Just an idea of what to expect for anyone in Halifax, NS.

So first off I've been dreading this for months now because I'm extremely overweight so I expected the doctor to be snarky/lecture me about my weight but it was quite the opposite. The DMP for Halifax is Dr. Kawchuk and he was pretty awesome. Funny guy, very personable. Here's a break down of my exam:

IN THE OFFICE - 1.5 HOURS TOTAL - Most of this was just waiting as there was at least 6 or 7 people before me. Actual exam was about 15-20 minutes:
- When we first entered I was asked to give a urine sample (literally you pee into one of those party cups)
- After waiting for over an hour the doctor called me to do a quick eye exam
- We then went into his office where he asked me if i've done chest x-ray before and if i had any abnormal results (i had one done for pneumonia when i was 14) after that he asked me about any meds I was taking. Taking BP medication so give him that.
- Took my BP (he said it was "adequate" whatever that means), weighed me, listened to my heart beat and lungs, also checked the glands in my neck and my thyroid
- Did this test where i have to tap my nose with my eyes closed
- Tested my reflexes (tapped on my inner elbow and knees)
- Laid on the table, check my ankles, poked around on my stomach "checking spleen and liver".

That was about it. Spoke to him asked if him he had an concerns about my weight or what i should do.....and he basically said "do what most people say to do...just don't try any fad diets". Also, canadian immigration doesn't care about weight so don't worry about that. Ok...fair enough..lol. Gave me the requisition forms for the chest X-ray and blood samples (Syphilis, HIV and Serum Creatinine [kidneys] since i'm being treated for HBP). Off to the hospital I go...

HOSPITAL X-RAY and BLOOD - 1hr
At the hospital it was pretty straight forward and fast. Not much waiting around, got the chest x-ray done and blood drawn. Then i had to go back to the office and get my proof of medical form and that was it.

Think i worried about this more than i should have...but never been comfortable about going to the doctor. Anyways..that was my experience. Hope it helped.
thank you for taking the time to share your story/experience! i have a question though, what about type I diabetes? Do you think diabetes will be an issue?!

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hossamo33 said:
thank you for taking the time to share your story/experience! i have a question though, what about type I diabetes? Do you think diabetes will be an issue?!
A consultant told me that as long it isn't contagious / risk to the public and not going to cost the government a lot to treat, you're on the safe side. I asked about diabetes and he said it's OK, he even knows HIV cases got approved (kinda not believing that).

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hossamo33 said:
I believe as long as it's being treated and under control with no complications...it shouldn't be an issues. Diabetes Type 1 and 2 is very common. These topics are discussed pretty frequently in the forum. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 8)

draviki

Star Member
Apr 24, 2015
Hi.. Please help!

I have a question. Is it an issue if one has high cholestrol?

Does it pose any risk for application being approved or rejected?

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
draviki said:
Hi.. Please help!

I have a question. Is it an issue if one has high cholestrol?

Does it pose any risk for application being approved or rejected?
No..it's not checked as part of the medical.