+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Sponsorship Inland Application, IEC Running Out

BarberChat

Jun 29, 2018
Hi All,

I've been reading a number of posts on here around this and I have seen some conflicting information so I thought I'd write my own problem down and see if anyone could help me out.

My partner is a Canadian Citizen and is sponsoring me for PR through Family Class Common-Law. Our application was received on the 15th May and is in process. I have applied for an OWP so that I can continue to work while the application is processed which should take 4 months (which would be around 15th September). I'm currently in the country on an IEC visa that runs out on the 18th September so I'm going to be cutting it very fine with getting the OWP before my current visa runs out.

My question is what happens if my current IEC visa runs out and I haven't received my OWP yet? Could I then be deported as an overstayer? Because my application is being processed am I on Implied Status and I can just stay in the country?

Thanks for any info that you have on this.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi All,

I've been reading a number of posts on here around this and I have seen some conflicting information so I thought I'd write my own problem down and see if anyone could help me out.

My partner is a Canadian Citizen and is sponsoring me for PR through Family Class Common-Law. Our application was received on the 15th May and is in process. I have applied for an OWP so that I can continue to work while the application is processed which should take 4 months (which would be around 15th September). I'm currently in the country on an IEC visa that runs out on the 18th September so I'm going to be cutting it very fine with getting the OWP before my current visa runs out.

My question is what happens if my current IEC visa runs out and I haven't received my OWP yet? Could I then be deported as an overstayer? Because my application is being processed am I on Implied Status and I can just stay in the country?

Thanks for any info that you have on this.
Yes, you can stay until you hear back on OWP.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I continued to work when my IEC Open Work Permit expired as I was on 'Implied Status' I had no issues at all.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I continued to work when my IEC Open Work Permit expired as I was on 'Implied Status' I had no issues at all.
This has been discussed to death, and I'm not getting into it, but there is no implied status once your IEC is up. It doesn't mean people don't do it without getting caught, but it doesn't make it right, either.

Reactions: YVR123

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
A largely discussed topic.

No issues as you obviously didn't get caught BUT it is illegal and the OP should take the advice of myself and @kcward and not work once expired.

Reactions: kcward7

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A largely discussed topic.

No issues as you obviously didn't get caught BUT it is illegal and the OP should take the advice of myself and @kcward and not work once expired.
I had a Lawyer do my application and he was the one that advised me as long as I applied for my PR before my IEC Expired I was on Implied status and could continue in the same position, even the huge Multinational company I worked for was OK with it and they wouldn't take any chances

My Lawyer knew it was a Gray area as there is no official statement about Implied Status, however it was fine for myself and countless others I know.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I had a Lawyer do my application and he was the one that advised me as long as I applied for my PR before my IEC Expired I was on Implied status and could continue in the same position, even the huge Multinational company I worked for was OK with it and they wouldn't take any chances

My Lawyer knew it was a Gray area as there is no official statement about Implied Status, however it was fine for myself and countless others I know.
Personal preference if you wish to chance it in the grey area I guess.