+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsorship for gay partner from Vietnam

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Hi forum fellows,

I am a Canadian citizen. I have been in same sex common-law relationship with my Vietnamese partner since Nov 2021 and we will meet the one-year test for sponsorship in Nov 2022.

My partner however is planning to go to Japan to study Masters in February 2023 and I do not plan to join him but instead will go back to Canada to find job and settle first. My questions are:

1. Can I sponsor him as common-law partner while he will be studying in Japan, in Feb 2023, although I wont be living with him? At the time of sponsorship, we would have met the one year co-habitation requirement since Nov 2022 already.

2. Those who are in similar situation as us, what kind of evidence you usually submit to IRCC?

Thanks so much!

Julien Gao

Mar 7, 2022
Category........
FAM
Hi there,
1. My understanding is that you can sponsor him while living separately. Just go for the outland route
2. Evidence would be the one you had in Vietnam, such as joint bank account, lease contract with both names, bills with same address, etc.

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Hi there,
1. My understanding is that you can sponsor him while living separately. Just go for the outland route
2. Evidence would be the one you had in Vietnam, such as joint bank account, lease contract with both names, bills with same address, etc.
Thank you!