+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsorship - Conditional PR

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Hi All !

Question: I have been granted Permanent Residency through Common Law process. I landed here in February 2015 and was given my permanent residency at the airport. It is now September 2015 and I would like to leave Canada for a few weeks to visit my family in Australia.

Problem: There is Condition 51 stated on my permanent residency paper stating "I am to co-habit with the common law partner for a continuous period of 2 years from the day of permanent residency".

So can I leave the country to visit my family and return back to Canada and carry over those few weeks to make a total of 2 years eventually? Or is it that if I leave and return back to Canada, it had to be for reasons such as family medical emergency, family bereavement etc... ?

Thanks All ! :D

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
A few weeks vacation will not be any problem with Condition 51. Go and don't worry about it.
Only after extended times apart (like months or more) will you possibly run into problems.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
potential_resident said:
Hi All !

Question: I have been granted Permanent Residency through Common Law process. I landed here in February 2015 and was given my permanent residency at the airport. It is now September 2015 and I would like to leave Canada for a few weeks to visit my family in Australia.

Problem: There is Condition 51 stated on my permanent residency paper stating "I am to co-habit with the common law partner for a continuous period of 2 years from the day of permanent residency".

So can I leave the country to visit my family and return back to Canada and carry over those few weeks to make a total of 2 years eventually? Or is it that if I leave and return back to Canada, it had to be for reasons such as family medical emergency, family bereavement etc... ?

Thanks All ! :D
as long as you aren't gone so long that you have to change your mailing address, then you are good. vacation and work related trips for a small period are allowed.