+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Separation

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
So I read on the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/family-sponsorship.asp
that the condition 51 on a common law PR is subject to the following:

"Am I affected by this new measure?
1) Yes, if your application was received on or after October 25, 2012.
2) Yes, if you have been in a relationship of two years or less and do not have children in common with your sponsor.
3) No, if you have been in a relationship with your sponsor for more than two years
4) No, if you had children in common with your sponsor at the time of your sponsorship application"

Bullet point number 3 states that a conditional PR doesn't apply if i have been in a 'relationship' for more than two years? When the website states 'relationship' do they mean cohabiting together or dating in general (which may include long distance dating etc.. )

I am seeking ways to retain my PR in Canada despite abuse. That is why I need some clarity before I seek a lawyer's advice or go to a woman's shelter

Thanks everyone

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Generally what's on the website is the guidelines, HOWEVER it depends simply whether Condition 51 was on your COPR or not. In your case, it was on your COPR, so if you want to keep your PR you will have to prove the abuse. There's not really any other way around it, sorry to say!

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
potential_resident said:
So I read on the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/family-sponsorship.asp
that the condition 51 on a common law PR is subject to the following:

"Am I affected by this new measure?
1) Yes, if your application was received on or after October 25, 2012.
2) Yes, if you have been in a relationship of two years or less and do not have children in common with your sponsor.
3) No, if you have been in a relationship with your sponsor for more than two years
4) No, if you had children in common with your sponsor at the time of your sponsorship application"

Bullet point number 3 states that a conditional PR doesn't apply if i have been in a 'relationship' for more than two years? When the website states 'relationship' do they mean cohabiting together or dating in general (which may include long distance dating etc.. )

I am seeking ways to retain my PR in Canada despite abuse. That is why I need some clarity before I seek a lawyer's advice or go to a woman's shelter

Thanks everyone
Yes, when they say "relationship," they mean married or common-law for more than 2 years. That is the point when CIC considers the relationship "official" for immigration purposes.