+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common law proof

bakaharshita

Jan 8, 2023
Hello,
I am on a work permit in Canada and will be applying for Temporary resident visa which will allow me to travel and re enter Canada. I need help with what I can provide as proof for my common law relationship. My partner is on a study permit here and we were considered common-law starting December 2022.

I have the following documents to show as proof:
- a joint bank account (that was created in January 2023)
-My pay stubs with our address of the past 12 months (my partner is not employed)
- both our separate phone bills with our current address
- both our separate previous years tax assessment
- both our separate bank statements with our address

Additionally, we could work on obtaining these documents:
- Photo ID with our current address on it (we applied for it and it should arrive soon)
- Our Health Cards with both our names on it (we have not applied for it yet, but will be soon)
- Declaring our common law status on our taxes this year later in February. This would be the first time we'd be filing taxes as common law.
- Doing a Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union form and getting it notarized.

My Questions:
1. Are all the documents above sufficient? If not, what more can I add?

2. How do I organise all these documents in the application? Do they all just go in the same section as where the Statutory Declaration goes? Can I just make and combine a PDF of all the forms and documents and upload them in the same section as Statutory Dec. form goes?

3. I have my partner as a dependent on my work insurance. How do I show documentation for it if needed in addition to everything mentioned above?

4. My partner and I used to be roommates since late 2019 and there were 2 two other people living with us in our current apartment. We got into a serious relationship around December 2021 and our other two roommates had moved out by February 2022 as we asked them to. My partner and I both came in the country as international students. Every time we filed for an extension for our study permits, we applied as "Single" and with our current address because we were not in a serious or romantic relationship before December 2021. I am concerned this may be viewed by IRCC as misrepresentation because we have both had the same address. How do I address this issue in the application, if I need to at all?

Thanks so much in advance.