+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common-law immigrant questions!!!

leehen

Feb 7, 2017
My girlfriend and I are living together for almost 2 years in Gatineau, Quebec. She is PR and landed in Vancouver. I am international student with study permit. We are about to apply common-law immigrant.

We are still students in University and we are planning to move to Vancouver after graduation. Since we do not want to stay in Quebec, do we still have to go through Quebec immigration office in order to apply Common-Law sponsorship? I heard that apply for Quebec residence will take longer.

What is the best option?

Thank you all!!

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
leehen said:
My girlfriend and I are living together for almost 2 years in Gatineau, Quebec. She is PR and landed in Vancouver. I am international student with study permit. We are about to apply common-law immigrant.

We are still students in University and we are planning to move to Vancouver after graduation. Since we do not want to stay in Quebec, do we still have to go through Quebec immigration office in order to apply Common-Law sponsorship? I heard that apply for Quebec residence will take longer.

What is the best option?

Thank you all!!
Quebec immigration should not be longer, at least in theory, but will cost a bit more (275$ for CSQ). Regarding your main question, I'm not sure, but I think it does not matter where you currently live, what matters is where you intend to live when you will land.
In any case, if you have to go through Quebec immigration, you will need the letter from IRCC requesting your sponsor to apply for your CSQ.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
leehen said:

What is the best option?

Thank you all!!
When are you planning to move? It depends on if you are going to be living in Quebec still when she gets her PR. The process doesn't take longer, there is just an extra step involved(CSQ) and a few slightly different questions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
leehen said:
Unless you can show hard evidence that you will not be living in Quebec, you will have to apply for a CSQ.

leehen

Feb 7, 2017
sylvain1 said:
Quebec immigration should not be longer, at least in theory, but will cost a bit more (275$ for CSQ). Regarding your main question, I'm not sure, but I think it does not matter where you currently live, what matters is where you intend to live when you will land.
In any case, if you have to go through Quebec immigration, you will need the letter from IRCC requesting your sponsor to apply for your CSQ.
So, does it mean it is harder if we go through Quebec immigration? How do we get the letter from IRCC? Can we just apply through CIC website like normal application?

leehen

Feb 7, 2017
Aquakitty said:
When are you planning to move? It depends on if you are going to be living in Quebec still when she gets her PR. The process doesn't take longer, there is just an extra step involved(CSQ) and a few slightly different questions.
We are planning to move after graduation, should be on April 2018. So can we just state that we will not live at Quebec after that date?

The reason why we moved here because the rent and car insurance are cheaper than Ottawa...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
leehen said:
So, does it mean it is harder if we go through Quebec immigration? How do we get the letter from IRCC? Can we just apply through CIC website like normal application?
You questions are easily answered by doing some basic research on the website. You apply for sponsorship as normal. IRCC will then send you the CSQ request letter and you apply for the CSQ.

leehen

Feb 7, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Unless you can show hard evidence that you will not be living in Quebec, you will have to apply for a CSQ.
canuck_in_uk said:
You questions are easily answered by doing some basic research on the website. You apply for sponsorship as normal. IRCC will then send you the CSQ request letter and you apply for the CSQ.
Sorry I did not do research about that...

I was just want to find out if there is a way to avoid applying CSQ

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
leehen said:
Sorry I did not do research about that...

I was just want to find out if there is a way to avoid applying CSQ
April 2018?? There's no way you can avoid it then. If you are applying soon, it's very unlikely for the PR to take that long, and the processing steps for the documents would occur long before that.
You might avoid it if you, say, have family in Vancouver you could put as your landing address, but they might request it anyways since your current address is QC for the foreseeable future. It's really not that big a deal, aside from the money.

leehen

Feb 7, 2017
Aquakitty said:
April 2018?? There's no way you can avoid it then. If you are applying soon, it's very unlikely for the PR to take that long, and the processing steps for the documents would occur long before that.
You might avoid it if you, say, have family in Vancouver you could put as your landing address, but they might request it anyways since your current address is QC for the foreseeable future. It's really not that big a deal, aside from the money.
Thank you for your reply! If there is no big difference, we will apply this month. Hope everything goes well!