+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law documents issues

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
Hello, I am working on getting my documents ready for a common law visa and I need your help please.
I am an Italian citizen, presently staying in Canada, who will be sponsored by my boyfriend who is a Canadian citizen, born here.

1) Police check. I got a printed scan of my police check from Italy, will it be enough or I need to get the original document mailed from Italy? I need to translate it in English, but I can't find a translator, do you know any?

2) Option C. My boyfriend does not have a slip for last year taxes yet, at the moment he only has a document that states he claimed 28000 CAD. Can I use that document instead of option C? Is that amount enough to sponsor me?

3) Do I need a life insurance policy with my boyfriend as beneficiary? I called three insurance companies (Manulife, Sunlife, TD) and they all said visitors to Canada are not eligible for life insurance. What would you recommend me to do?

Thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marta cocchi said:
Hello, I am working on getting my documents ready for a common law visa and I need your help please.
I am an Italian citizen, presently staying in Canada, who will be sponsored by my boyfriend who is a Canadian citizen, born here.

1) Police check. I got a printed scan of my police check from Italy, will it be enough or I need to get the original document mailed from Italy? I need to translate it in English, but I can't find a translator, do you know any?

2) Option C. My boyfriend does not have a slip for last year taxes yet, at the moment he only has a document that states he claimed 28000 CAD. Can I use that document instead of option C? Is that amount enough to sponsor me?

3) Do I need a life insurance policy with my boyfriend as beneficiary? I called three insurance companies (Manulife, Sunlife, TD) and they all said visitors to Canada are not eligible for life insurance. What would you recommend me to do?

Thank you.
1. All police checks must be originals.

2. He needs to provide his most recent Option C. There is NO minimum income required for him to sponsor you. He just needs to show CIC how he will support you until you are eligible to work in Canada, and that he is not receiving Social Assistance (Welfare), nor has he recently filed for bankruptcy.

3. No. You should try to be added to his bank account (which is usually easy to do, even as a visitor), his cell plan, makes sure you have mail addressed to each of you at the same address (going back as far as possible...not just something recent), a notarized letter from his landlord (if renting) verifying that you've been there for at least 1 full year. You will also need at least two letters from family/friends (notarized) that corroborate your relationship and that you have been living together for at least one year.

For a Common-Law application, you have to prove two things:

1. That you are in a genuine, loving relationship with your Common-Law partner (NOT boyfriend).

2. That you provide evidence that the two of you have lived together at the same address for at least one full year. This is probably the most important piece to your puzzle.

Good luck!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Remember the items such as life insurance policies, rental agreements etc. listed under the checklists "Proof of Relationship" are suggestions, not requirements. The more you have the better but the point is to show an overall genuine relationship, they won't base the decision on just one of those items.

The Option c is pretty much required if you file taxes in Canada, unless you have a good reason to not have one, just order the latest one (he might even be able to do it online, check this post out: http://www.yanniel.info/2014/03/how-to-get-option-c-printout.html )