+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming back to Canada with expired PR and also with US Passport

Yoyoyo99

Mar 17, 2024
Hi, I’m currently not sure what to do in the following situation. I have booked a trip to the US last year and found out just now that my PR expired. (I’m PR from another country not US) I have also applied for my PR last week not sure if it will come in time in Mid May. I also have a valid US visa. I also did some research too about coming back, people say you need a COPR to come back at the border of Canada with the expired PR. I also saw that since you have a visa you don’t need to show your expired PR at the airport. Can I just fly back with my expired PR card and use my US VISA to come back to Canada with a copy of my COPR?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, as a PR you won't be able to board a flight back without valid pr card or prtd. Your expired docs will work at a land crossing however.

Your us visa will get you into usa but not back. Note your thread title referred to us passport , that would be a different situation.

Yoyoyo99

Mar 17, 2024
No, as a PR you won't be able to board a flight back without valid pr card or prtd. Your expired docs will work at a land crossing however.

Your us visa will get you into usa but not back. Note your thread title referred to us passport , that would be a different situation.
Ohhh I see thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ohhh I see thank you
Repeating in case of any confusion: now that you are a PR they WILL let you in at a land border, even with the plain copr or expired PR card or whatever.

My language was to refer to fact that US visa has nothing to do with your status in Canada. People who are not PRs who have US visas may or may not be allowed to transit and stuff like that (I don't know) - but it won't work now that youj're a PR.

Yoyoyo99

Mar 17, 2024
Repeating in case of any confusion: now that you are a PR they WILL let you in at a land border, even with the plain copr or expired PR card or whatever.

My language was to refer to fact that US visa has nothing to do with your status in Canada. People who are not PRs who have US visas may or may not be allowed to transit and stuff like that (I don't know) - but it won't work now that youj're a PR.

I have another question. Can I come back to Canada with expired COPR document? I also have been a PR in Canada for over 10 years. Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have another question. Can I come back to Canada with expired COPR document? I also have been a PR in Canada for over 10 years. Thank you!
You can return to Canada via a land border/PoE with ANYTHING that shows that you are a PR. Anything. This could be an expired PR card, your valid passport (because it's likely connected to your PR in CBSA's system), your original landing docs, anything.

Only your PR Card expires. Your status never expires, but it can be revoked for not meeting the Residency Obligation (R.O). As long as that has not happened, you will be allowed to `enter' Canada.

Reactions: Yoyoyo99