+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed WP extension - Is LMO required again OR is it better to apply for BOWP?

Jobs2014

Feb 9, 2014
Hello Seniors,

I'm on Closed Work Permit acquired with LMO. I would like to seek suggestions regarding filing for extension OR applying for BOWP, which one is better?

- Filing for closed WP extension, would it involve getting LMO again?

- Could anybody clarify, under the current situation is it advisable to apply LMO again and file for WP extension? Also really concerned about the long time lines with LMO and again waiting for extension.

- On the other hand, i have received my AOR. So would it be safer to apply for BOWP?

- And if applied for both would it jeopardize WP extension Or PR application filed?

Appreciate advise/suggestions.

Thanks!

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
The biggest advantage of a bridging open work permit is that it is an open work permit which allows you to work for ANY employer in Canada. So if you get laid off, then you always have the luxury of finding another employer. You won't have this if you are on a closed work permit.
Secondly if your existing work permit is about to expire within the next 4 months, you can apply for your BOWP (check OB 485-A on the CIC website for more details).
If you have a positive LMO, then your BOWP will likely be rejected (again see OB 485-A).
If you would like to have the luxury to work for ANY employer in Canada and shorter processing time, then apply for your BOWP. If you are comfortable working for your existing employer and you're positively sure that you're not going to get fired, apply for a closed WP (which involves getting a positive LMO).
Hope this helped.
Good luck!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Jobs2014 said:
- Filing for closed WP extension, would it involve getting LMO again? Yes

- On the other hand, i have received my AOR. So would it be safer to apply for BOWP?
Main benefit of the BOWP is that it is open. Main benefit of LMO-confirmed TWP - you can get one for longer than a year (probably), and if for some reason your CEC application is refused, you would have more time to re-apply.

- And if applied for both would it jeopardize WP extension Or PR application filed?
You should only apply for one, one would cancel the other. Will not affect your PR application either way.

Jose Antonio

Apr 17, 2014
hi there, I've already applied for the Strategic Recruitment Stream - Alberta Work Experience Category and got my file number last Dec. 23, 2013. I received an email 2 days ago from PNP and subject of the email is extending your work permit while your AINP application is in process. my question is am i excempted from requiring an LMO to extend my work permit whose going to expire by Oct 2014? or should i ask my employer to apply an LMO? Am I eligible to apply for an Bridging open work permit? Can anyone help me. Thanks

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
For details on BOWP, please check http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp.

For more answers on your AINP, please post your questions on the PNP forum.

Jose Antonio said:
hi there, I've already applied for the Strategic Recruitment Stream - Alberta Work Experience Category and got my file number last Dec. 23, 2013. I received an email 2 days ago from PNP and subject of the email is extending your work permit while your AINP application is in process. my question is am i excempted from requiring an LMO to extend my work permit whose going to expire by Oct 2014? or should i ask my employer to apply an LMO? Am I eligible to apply for an Bridging open work permit? Can anyone help me. Thanks

Jobs2014

Feb 9, 2014
Thank You Jes_ON , Hope1957.

1. Could any one suggest on applying for BOWP, could i seek for extension of my dependents as well?
Dependant spouse and child? Not very clear from the manual

Dependant spouse is on open workpermit and child is study permit (elementary). Both obtained based on my Closed Work permit.

2. Also could some guide me to the exact link for Online filing of BOWP?
May be i'm missing some thing as i struggle get to the exact link for BOWP online application on CIC site.

Thanks in Advance!