+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit...

yogeshgund

Jun 16, 2017
I have a query about my current situation... please advise. I am in Canada on a closed work permit since sept. 2015 on deputation with the canadian arm of my Indian employers. My visa is valid for next 14 months and am in the process of submitting my profile for PR by start of July. The problem is my companies contract with canadian client is ending prematurely in two months. My spouse has a Open work permit and dependent visa. I would like to know what are our options to stay on in Canada till we receive our PR.

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
I was also in same situation. See if you can submit your PR application in these 2 months. If you do so, you will be in Implied status and can stay in Canada legally. You may not be able to work, but you can wait till your PR is done and then start searching for a job then. Or once you submit your PR application, then you can apply for Bridging Open WP and start searching for a job once you get it.

As you mentioned, you qualify for CEC category in which you can expect your PR application to be processed faster than other FSW candidates.

Last option would be to enroll yourself in some study programme and apply for a Study Permit but you might need to put lot of money into it. I didnot explore that option much. So you can explore if you want.

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
I was also in same situation. See if you can submit your PR application in these 2 months. If you do so, you will be in Implied status and can stay in Canada legally. You may not be able to work, but you can wait till your PR is done and then start searching for a job then. Or once you submit your PR application, then you can apply for Bridging Open WP and start searching for a job once you get it.

As you mentioned, you qualify for CEC category in which you can expect your PR application to be processed faster than other FSW candidates.

Last option would be to enroll yourself in some study programme and apply for a Study Permit but you might need to put lot of money into it. I didnot explore that option much. So you can explore if you want.
OP will not be in implied status since his WP is valid for another 14 months and BOWP can be applied if his WP is due to expire in less than 4 months and PR application is already submitted.

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
I have a query about my current situation... please advise. I am in Canada on a closed work permit since sept. 2015 on deputation with the canadian arm of my Indian employers. My visa is valid for next 14 months and am in the process of submitting my profile for PR by start of July. The problem is my companies contract with canadian client is ending prematurely in two months. My spouse has a Open work permit and dependent visa. I would like to know what are our options to stay on in Canada till we receive our PR.
Mate you could legally stay in Canada for 14 months, the only caveat you cannot work for a different employer since you are on Closed WP. You can process your PR and wait for it. See if your employer can fetch you another Canadian project in the meanwhile for you to work. Your wife can try to get a job with Open work permit which can help you guys to survive till your PR is processed.

You can apply for BOWP if your WP is due to expire in less than 4 months and PR application is already submitted.

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
OP will not be in implied status since his WP is valid for another 14 months and BOWP can be applied if his WP is due to expire in less than 4 months and PR application is already submitted.
So do you mean, as his closed WP is valid for another 14 months, he will won't get Bridging Open WP and won't be able to join a new employer untill he gets his PR processed?

yogeshgund

Jun 16, 2017
Thanks to everyone who cleared my concerns. I have one last question regarding my situation, in case of any medical emergency, if we have to travel back to our home country, can my wife come back and resume her job since she has OWP ?

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
Thanks to everyone who cleared my concerns. I have one last question regarding my situation, in case of any medical emergency, if we have to travel back to our home country, can my wife come back and resume her job since she has OWP ?
Yes as long as she holds a valid Visa.

yogeshgund

Jun 16, 2017
Yes she has a valid visitor visa as she had come as my dependent and applied for OWP on reaching Canada, hope the status does not change if I am unable to return with her and arrive after a month or two ?

justinw1234

Star Member
Apr 1, 2017
I hope that CIC can issue closed work permit for free for PGWP holders who are working and the PGWP is about to expire. like the previous LMO, because to get a job offer (especially for NOC A professional jobs which are same as your university major) and letter of employment is a challenge for many new grad students......