+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

clergy/Christian worker

seejay

Mar 20, 2006
England
does anyone have any experience of going to Canada as a long-term Christian full-time worker/pastor/minister? Can the family come too and work in regular employment?

thanks!

CJ

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

seejay said:
does anyone have any experience of going to Canada as a long-term Christian full-time worker/pastor/minister? Can the family come too and work in regular employment?

thanks!

CJ
IF the person meets the definition contained http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf 5.13

"5.13. Work without a work permit R186(l)—Clergy
R186(l) applies to persons whose employment will consist mainly of preaching of doctrine,
presiding at liturgical functions or providing spiritual counselling, either as an ordained minister, a
lay person, or a member of a religious order.
See Section 5.40, Charitable and religious work R205(d), C50"

Then they are not issued a work permit, therefor the spouse is unable to work as they don't hold a work permit.

PMM

seejay

Mar 20, 2006
England
Hi

thanks for that. On browsing canada.org.uk, under the section on temporary workers, it does talk about a Spousal Work Permit (open) and then lists a whole range of professional and skilled temporary workers whose spouses would qualify for this. On that list appears "Ministers of religion" (NOC 4154), which seems to indicate that my wife would be able to get such a permit, on th ebais of my occupation being on this list?

What kind of paperwork will I get as a work-permit exempt temporary worker - I presume there must be something?

thanks again for your help!

zaldie

Jul 3, 2007
There must be an accepting church here in Canada or a job offer from a Canadian Church. The Church must comply for the requirements and prove that they are able to support you here in Canada. Use the Temporary Resident Visa Application because you will be considered as visitor with work pwrmit exempt.

gilipsie

Star Member
Jul 11, 2007
SO, basically, a minister would have to have a church sponsor them and provide proof that the church will provide enough support for th minister and his family? That is great.