+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on deadline for study permit extension / applying for PGWP

Ravirav

Dec 12, 2016
Hi House,

I am an international student in Canada. My current study permit will expire on July 31, 2020.

In IRCC website, its mentioned that its recommended to apply for study permit extension / PGWP a month at least before our current study permit expires (please correct me if i am wrong).

1) Would it be fine if i apply for study permit extension / PGWP by July 1st week (say July 4, 2020)? Or should i apply strictly a month before the expiry? I'm asking this because i will have the funds required to apply for a new permit available to me only by July first week.

2) What happens to our status in Canada if we have applied and awaiting study permit extension / PGWP but the current study permit expires? Will we be allowed to stay and possibly work in the interim?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you are reqdy to apply for PGWP you dont need to apply for an extension. If you apply for pgwp while your permit is valid then you are on implied work permit status and your study permit no longer matters, you can work until a decision on pgwp is made.

And the 30 days thing is just advice you can apply for extension as long as your current permit is still valid.

Reactions: thevisawhisperer