Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and have a couple questions.

I recently got engaged and want to sponsor my wife from UK. She is visiting at the end of the month, so we can have our civil marriage performed in Toronto. My application has to be in to Mississauga office by October 27, 2009, as my wife's work permit is valid until October 27, 2010 and one of the question on the application is is she legally allowed to life in the country for 1 year.

I have the following questionss.

1. For the marriage certificate, in toronto it takes 4-6 weeks to obtain. Can i file with the temperory one they provide and send the original in once i get it?

2. We are planning to have our wedding in July 2010 with family. Should we keep a little ceremony when she visit and take picture with her family here and my family to show we actually had the wedding or should be say on the form we are planning to have our wedding in July? Or is the marriage certificate sufficient?

3. When she goes for her medical exam, when does the Doctor provide the copy 2 or IMM1017?

This whole immigration process is nerve reckoning, but once i found this website this morning, i feel a bit better.

Thanks in advance

TJ

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
As for the wedding thing, im kind of in the same boat. I didn't have an actual wedding. I only had a small gathering (10 people) because I had to leave very quick and I plan to have the wedding when the paperwork is done. I HOPE that is enough for them :S

As for the medical, they should give her the same form she takes in (i forget the number) and just fill it/stamp it or whatever,

yes it is daaammnnn nerve wrecking! and this forum does help, Im new as well. Lots of nice people willign to help and share their experiences. Some good experiences and some bad..... I try to focus on the good!

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Civil marriage is legal if it is performed in Canada. However make sure that you provide them copy of the "Record of solemnization" provided by the justice of peace at the time of the ceremony since your marriage will be ONLY register between 6 to 8 weeks from the date of the ceremony. Once you receive the original marriage certificate you can send them a copy.
Make sure to take pictures during the ceremony and send them along with your application. It doesn't matter how many people attended. I was in the same boat and had explained we couldn't invite more than 8 people since it was the maximum people allowed but however another ceremony will take place in the future. You can specify a date if you wish to but you don't have to.
Also make sure your wife keeps all records from flower arrangements , reception bills, airline boarding passes if your wife is visiting, phone bills, emails, between both of you, greeting cards, msn chat. Copies of any gifts that you both had exchange during your relationship . If you are Canadian Citizen and work you can add her to your health care benefit and your life insurance.

Try to explain as much as you can if no member of her family attended the wedding due the fact they are living in another country as well another ceremony will be performed at a later date for them. Don't leave anything blank. The more you explain the better it is. The second part of the application to assess if the relationship is genuine.

As for medical my husband did them when he was visiting and the MD send them directly to CIC-M. I only provided a copy of the receipt that they had provided my husband when he paid but MD didn't provide us of any copy at the time.

Good luck!!!

UK2TO

Star Member
Sep 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
Marlena,

So you are saying that if i keep a ceremony it will be much better, to show that the marriage was solemnized with family and also the courts.

Your spouse did his medical in canada when he was visiting? Does that make a difference because she is applying out land from UK?

Thanks

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Yes you still have to send copy the "Record of Solemnization "since your marriage won't be register until 6 to 8 weeks after the ceremony take place but it still considered legal and when you receive the actual copy of the marriage " Marriage certificate" you should send them a copy but don't forget to mention in one of the question of the application the fact you still didn't receive the actual copy of the marriage certificate that you will send it to them once it has been received and registered.

I sponsored my husband through outland but he was granted TRV before the marriage took place in Canada. If your wife is granted TRV and not married what I suggest get married first but don't let her announce to the IO at the port of entry and gather all the information at the same time. Do Medical after you are married and when you are about to send your application to CIC-M. She can remain in Canada while her application in process and until her visa is expired. The only time she has to return back to her country if they requested an interview and when she is granted visa for PR.
For how long did she applied for TRV.... 3 OR 6 months.

UK2TO

Star Member
Sep 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
She got a 6 month TRV, but she has a job in UK and has to return back, she only has 2 or 3 weeks off from work....I was in UK for about 3 weeks in july and couldn't do my civil marriage because the UK process is complicated. and very costly.

What should she bring as identification when we go for our civil marriage?

TJ

UK2TO

Star Member
Sep 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
In regards to providing support for how we communicated. How many emails, msn conversations, telephone bills, should we sent in to show that the relationship is geniune.

Should we send in information for a couple months upto sending the application in?

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Do you have any records since your relationship had started. I sent them 10 best emails each month since the last 4 years and again that's only me. You can always highlite the very private one but don't be scared to show how your love developped during the relationship.
you can also ask your parents and friends to write letters confirming your love to each other. It might help especially with the people who are close to you as a couple.

Requirement for civil marriage is:
Birth certificate translated and notorized
Family registration translated and notorized as well
Passport

http://ottawa.ca/residents/permits/marriage/marriage_ceremonies_en.html

UK2TO

Star Member
Sep 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
Marlena,

When mailed your application in, did you have your marriage certificate or just your record of solemnization? and was your first stage approved with it?

Reason im asking is becuase i logged into e-cas and it said decision is made. and a letter has been sent out, im just abit nervous and can't wait for the letter.

TJ

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
For the first stage I was approved with only copy of " record of solemnization " but I had attached an explanation on why i couldn't provide them with the actual marriage certificate. Once they send your application abroad and when you receive your actual marriage certificate I suggest to send them a copy when you receive your marriage certificate.

I'm very positive that your first stage is approved.

Good luck!!!!

UK2TO

Star Member
Sep 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
Thanks!!!!!!! that makes me feel so much better :)

I wrote them a letter and explained to them the reason that i didn't have the marriage certificate and only the record of solemnization, and i would forward it immediately. Would i send the marriage certificate to the to London as that were the application will be forwarded, or the Mississauga?

Taha

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
When London receive your file they will provide you with AOR. Don't forget to quote the number as well the FULL applicant name and DOB.

UK2TO

Star Member
Sep 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2009
Med's Done....
7-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the applicant recieve the AOR or the the person sponsoring?

Ha Nguyen

Star Member
Nov 9, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2011
Doc's Request.
Nov 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
File Transfer...
Mar-2017
My case, we just went to the Judge and sign the Marriage license. No reception was hold (cause I am Vietnamese holding US F1 student visa, we married in US and my husband family is in Canada) But we have a small party with our aunt family in US with around 7 people on my engagement day. I think it doesnt matter with it. You just explain to them on the questionaire form that you will do it later when everything is convenient for both family to attend

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
In my case we both received AOR.
It doesn't matter who receive it as long you indicate AOR#, name of the applicant, DOB of applicant so they won't get confused.
Ha Nguyen in my case they still want to see a true copy of marriage certificate even with the written explanation and if you read the manual it does mention "record of solemnization" only is not acceptable.