+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Hi All,
My wife is contemplating applying for citizenship. She completed required number of days in Canada in early august. However, she lived out of canada for 360 days outside canada in 2013-14. Is she eligible to apply for citizenship or she can not apply because she spent little less than one year outside canada

She came back in June 2014.

Thank you for reply. Also, if she can apply, it would be great if someone can guide me on getting the police clearance from dubai. She lived in dubai for that period. I went for fingerprinting today and the lady told me that I have to wait till after I get letter from govenment asking for police clearance certificate.

Thanks in advance for reply

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
harupit200281 said:
Hi All,
My wife is contemplating applying for citizenship. She completed required number of days in Canada in early august. However, she lived out of canada for 360 days outside canada in 2013-14. Is she eligible to apply for citizenship or she can not apply because she spent little less than one year outside canada

She came back in June 2014.

Thank you for reply. Also, if she can apply, it would be great if someone can guide me on getting the police clearance from dubai. She lived in dubai for that period. I went for fingerprinting today and the lady told me that I have to wait till after I get letter from govenment asking for police clearance certificate.

Thanks in advance for reply
Run the online citizenship calculator. It will tell you if she is qualified or not. If not, it will tell her when she will qualify based on the info you gave.

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you screech for prompt reply. I know for a fact that she completed required number of days two months back. However, I was wondering about this new rule that states that you can not live out of country for more than consecutive 180 days. She stayed out of country before this rule came into effect.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
harupit200281 said:
Thank you screech for prompt reply. I know for a fact that she completed required number of days two months back. However, I was wondering about this new rule that states that you can not live out of country for more than consecutive 180 days. She stayed out of country before this rule came into effect.
It doesn't matter when the rule came into effect as all applicants are subject to the new rules. So, if you wife hasn't lived in the country for 183 days of each of the last four calendar years, then she is not eligible.

tinam

May 30, 2015
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harupit200281 said:
She must also have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 183 days in each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of your application.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en&_ga=1.144497717.1474114168.1471963164

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harupit200281 said:
The online calculator checks both the conditions (# days present and the 180 day/ year) and gives you the result. You should save it for future use.