+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship through grandmother

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK, so your great-grandfather became a British subject in 1933. Actually, he would have lost his Italian citizenship at that time, but if he didn't tell Italy, I guess they wouldn't have known. As I mentioned, if he was still in Canada in 1947, he would have become a Canadian citizen at that time. Apparently, though, he was back in Italy in 1940, because you say your grandmother was born there. As the child of a British subject, your grandmother was likely a British subject, but, as a woman, she couldn't pass that status on to her children.

Last edited:

Matt99

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
So, actually there are no chances to obtain citizenship from my grandma
Thank you so much alphazip

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I was specifically talking about British subject status. To say whether your grandmother became a Canadian citizen, it would be necessary to know where your great-grandfather and grandmother were living on January 1, 1947. However, that's correct...it's not likely at all that you would have inherited Canadian citizenship through your grandmother.

Matt99

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
I think they were living in Italy during 1947 but an interesting fact is that my grandma's brother is a canadian citizen

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think they were living in Italy during 1947 but an interesting fact is that my grandma's brother is a canadian citizen
In summary, even if your grandmother was a Canadian citizen, the birth of your parent (if born abroad between 1947 and 1977) would have had to be registered for your parent to become a Canadian citizen. However, it could not have been registered, because only men could pass on citizenship at that time (unless the child was born out of wedlock). So, if your parent was born in wedlock before 1977, there is no chance that you inherited Canadian citizenship.

Matt99

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
Do you know if there is a method to knkw for certain if I can achieve citizenship
I mean I don't want to lose an opportunity if i have one

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..