+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Very subjective question. On average, the pass rate is 83% according to this source.

However, there will definitely be within group differences. For example, one would expect the pass rate to decrease amongst individuals who struggle with English. It would further be expected to decrease for individuals with a low-level of education. Of course, how much the individual studied for the test is a major factor.

Therefore, I would personally expect individuals with low-level of education, who struggle with English and who did not prepare well for the test to explain most of the citizenship test failing rate. Are you in this group? Then yes, the citizenship will be hard. If you are not in this group, especially because you prepared well, then no, it's the stupidest test to exist on the face of this planet which makes it really bloody irritating that IRCC is not finding an alternative for it!

Hope that answered your question.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Very subjective question. On average, the pass rate is 83% according to this source.

However, there will definitely be within group differences. For example, one would expect the pass rate to decrease amongst individuals who struggle with English. It would further be expected to decrease for individuals with a low-level of education. Of course, how much the individual studied for the test is a major factor.

Therefore, I would personally expect individuals with low-level of education, who struggle with English and who did not prepare well for the test to explain most of the citizenship test failing rate. Are you in this group? Then yes, the citizenship will be hard. If you are not in this group, especially because you prepared well, then no, it's the stupidest test to exist on the face of this planet which makes it really bloody irritating that IRCC is not finding an alternative for it!

Hope that answered your question.
Yes, thanks :) I just meant if there are a lot of questions about dates and names or if the questions are quite easy. Thanks

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yes, thanks :) I just meant if there are a lot of questions about dates and names or if the questions are quite easy. Thanks
There is a lot of websites out there, you can practice and have an idea about the types of questions they will ask. Even if questions aren't the same but that will help you a lot.
https://free-citizenship-test.musitrature.com/
I agree with the above; practise tests will give you a good idea. There are many guides online too, especially ones for folks struggling with English. There is a famous one on amazon which I have found to be clear and concise, given it is directed towards non-native English speakers.

I have not personally given the test yet but based on anecdotes from people I know, the exam is very easy if you do enough practise tests. Some of them took only 5 minutes and got full marks on the test.

Also, try to take in as much general knowledge about your province as you can from now till the exam. For example, learn the name of your premier, learn the name of the premier's party, learn about your province capital etc. You may know most of these already since it's hard to escape the news. Some practise exams will give you an idea of what province specific questions will be asked.