+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test outside Canada

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Greetings to all,

We have just traveled out of Canada a month ago and now received the news that the online citizenship test will be from Nov 5 to Nov 25. I still did not receive the email. However, i want to ask if it is a good idea to send them email and say that currently we are outside Canada or it is better to travel back to Canada to take the citizenship test there? Do they allow the online test to be taken outside Canada?

Hope to hear your experiences

Thanks in Advance and really appreciate the immensely informative posts on this forum made possible only by very dedicated people like you !

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings to all,

We have just traveled out of Canada a month ago and now received the news that the online citizenship test will be from Nov 5 to Nov 25. I still did not receive the email. However, i want to ask if it is a good idea to send them email and say that currently we are outside Canada or it is better to travel back to Canada to take the citizenship test there? Do they allow the online test to be taken outside Canada?

Thanks in Advance and really appreciate the immensely informative posts on this forum made possible only by very dedicated people like you !
You have to send email informing that you are outside Canada. Once they approved, you can take test from outside Canada.

Reactions: khan2015

wink

May 25, 2021
However, i want to ask if it is a good idea to send them email and say that currently we are outside Canada or it is better to travel back to Canada to take the citizenship test there? Do they allow the online test to be taken outside Canada?
Good idea, in my opinion, is to take the test being in Canada, but it all depends on your personal situation. What I understand is that taking test from outside Canada involves few extra follow-ups with IRCC and I am not sure whether it adds any extra delay in the processing. But people have done it. Maybe one need to have some extra patience, I think.

Reactions: khan2015

bluecheese123

Feb 24, 2021
We got test invite but we are outside Canada. We sent an email as they suggested to take test from outside Canada. They agreed but were asking when we are going to come back to Canada. For now, we were planning to come back sometime in Spring next year. Would that be a problem? If it's going to be an issue, we would like to plan and come back sooner. Is anyone in the same boat?

Albo0978

Jun 4, 2021
We got test invite but we are outside Canada. We sent an email as they suggested to take test from outside Canada. They agreed but were asking when we are going to come back to Canada. For now, we were planning to come back sometime in Spring next year. Would that be a problem? If it's going to be an issue, we would like to plan and come back sooner. Is anyone in the same boat?
I am not 100% sure so please don't quote me on this one but if you are called to take the oath I do believe you have to be in Canada and if I were you that's not something I would want to reschedule. However, there is no telling when you will be called for the oath. Will you be able to come back to Canada in that short amount of time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for replying. Yes, we can always fly down for Oath as there is no other option. But I'm not sure if I should mention next spring in my reply for when I will get back to Canada. Or, just say a sooner date? I think they are just checking if I didn't abandon the application.
Don’t lie because it will be part of your file. Looks like you have already moved to the US so it will be pretty obvious that you aren’t planning on returning to Canada permanently.

Thatsnotmyname

Feb 14, 2019
Greetings to all,

Did you end up taking the test from outside Canada?
I'm scheduled to take it in December and will be outside Canada until Jan.
I haven't emailed them yet because they haven't sent me the instructions by email.

khan2015

May 21, 2015
Did you end up taking the test from outside Canada?
I'm scheduled to take it in December and will be outside Canada until Jan.
I haven't emailed them yet because they haven't sent me the instructions by email.
Hi, we decided to go back to Canada for the test. Did not want to create any unnecessary complications/questions later, maybe adding delay in the process. And we had to go back anyway after some time as the Universities/schools are starting on-campus classes. Good luck to you with whatever you decide in your situation

Reactions: harirajmohan

Thatsnotmyname

Feb 14, 2019
Hi, we decided to go back to Canada for the test. Did not want to create any unnecessary complications/questions later, maybe adding delay in the process. And we had to go back anyway after some time as the Universities/schools are starting on-campus classes. Good luck to you with whatever you decide in your situation
Thanks. I emailed them detailing the time when I will be outside Canada and said I want to take it from abroad. I will see what they say.

Genesis76

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
London (Ontario)
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
Nomination.....
12-10-2016
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
IELTS Request
No need
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
09-03-2018
Hi guys, I have a problem with the letter invitation to the Citizenship test. I am currently abroad and I will be back in January. I saw few days ago from my application status tracker that I was scheduled for the test from December 08 to December 28. To date (Dec 09) I did not get any email from them! I don't know what to do. I sent a webform but I am sure they will take days to process and have an answer. Was anybody in the same situation? I checked spam but it's empty. I never had any problem in the past with IRCC, I was getting all their emails. Please help!

Thatsnotmyname

Feb 14, 2019
I got the mail a day before I was due to start the test. Maybe you'll get it by end of day today.
There was no special procedure to do the test from abroad. Maybe they put a note on my account internally. All they said in the email when I said I wanted to do it from abroad is that due to their system limitation, you still have to answer yes to the question are you physically present in Canada when taking the test.
Good luck!

Genesis76

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
London (Ontario)
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
Nomination.....
12-10-2016
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
IELTS Request
No need
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
09-03-2018
I got the mail a day before I was due to start the test. Maybe you'll get it by end of day today.
There was no special procedure to do the test from abroad. Maybe they put a note on my account internally. All they said in the email when I said I wanted to do it from abroad is that due to their system limitation, you still have to answer yes to the question are you physically present in Canada when taking the test.
Good luck!
One guy from this forum told me that people with test window like mine (Dec08-Dec28) are having issues (they are not receiving email as well) due to technical problem CIC is experiencing. They (the people in Canada) called CIC and they told they will send invitation again providing 21 days. So I hope they will fix this problem soon.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Good luck!
Did they ask you to provide proof of when you’re coming back ? Is your file going to be put on hold until you come back that means they won’t send you invitation to do oath until you come back ?
Thank you

Genesis76

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
London (Ontario)
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
Nomination.....
12-10-2016
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
IELTS Request
No need
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
09-03-2018
I took the citizenship test. Got 20/20. Lookin forward for update in status tracker.

Reactions: vic2015

RoseDB

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
Hi All,

My husband got test invitation and as per instructions we sent the email that we are outside of Canada and will like to take the test. However, no reply since then our test window is between Dec 17 to Jan 6, 2022.