+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test: Collective action required, or expect endless delays, years. Example of the effective lobbyng of people awaiting spousal sponsorship

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Dont forget that its because of such an 'elected government' that we all are here!! But none of the circumstances that you pointed out is convincing me that there is a case for urgent processing of your application.
I am not asking for urgent processing of my application.

I am asking for a reasonable time period and starting citizenship tests or at least a plan to start them.

What is reasonable to you? 5 years, 10 years, 20 years? For me it is 1-1.5 years. Other countries do it in 3-4 months and have already restarted tests.

Should we abolish citizenship altogether? I am wondering where you draw the line.

Reactions: Raynen and piotrqc

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
I am not asking for urgent processing of my application.

I am asking for a reasonable time period and starting citizenship tests or at least a plan to start them.

What is reasonable to you? 5 years, 10 years, 20 years? For me it is 1-1.5 years. Other countries do it in 3-4 months and have already restarted tests.

Should we abolish citizenship altogether? I am wondering where you draw the line.
Comes back to my original point. We need more transparency and more information about the timing in the post-covid era from the government.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Comes back to my original point. We need more transparency and more information about the timing in the post-covid era from the government.
Your point is - 99.9% of the people dont need citizenship. I wonder why you even care about transparency. I suppose you are happy to wait 10 years if this pandemic never goes away.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Agreed, Then, raise the voice for making the criteria more clear or having more criteria for fast tracking application for special circumstances like yours.

Also, what advantage does this country have by allowing you opportunity in KSA and it warrants putting extra resources to fast track all citizenship applications? You should also think from their angle!!
Just to answer your two points :
Agreed, Then, raise the voice for making the criteria more clear or having more criteria for fast tracking application for special circumstances like yours.
what do you think will happen if all people in my situation ( RTD holders ) start to raise voices and ask for what you said above?
Some Canadians will say we are asking too much from the government and we should be happy for being here already, just like they are saying right now when applicants are asking the government to come up with sort of solution for the citizenship test.

Also, what advantage does this country have by allowing you opportunity in KSA and it warrants putting extra resources to fast track all citizenship applications? You should also think from their angle!!
My family still lives in Canada and that opportunity was a rotation position ( 8 weeks in KSA and 4 weeks in Canada ) technically I should be a tax resident. A better job, better income and high tax pay, and better contribution to the system. Sure Canada will win something. I am lucky enough I still have a job, let me ask you this, what advantage does Canada have by keeping me here and unemployed? nothing I will be consuming taxpayer money by applying for any benefit I may find. Maybe you prefer to see me in Canada living on taxpayer money because I cannot find a descend job in Canada than working overseas and still paying income taxes as a tax resident.

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
Just to answer your two points :
what do you think will happen if all people in my situation ( RTD holders ) start to raise voices and ask for what you said above?
Some Canadians will say we are asking too much from the government and we should be happy for being here already, just like they are saying right now when applicants are asking the government to come up with sort of solution for the citizenship test.

My family still lives in Canada and that opportunity was a rotation position ( 8 weeks in KSA and 4 weeks in Canada ) technically I should be a tax resident. A better job, better income and high tax pay, and better contribution to the system. Sure Canada will win something. I am lucky enough I still have a job, let me ask you this, what advantage does Canada have by keeping me here and unemployed? nothing I will be consuming taxpayer money by applying for any benefit I may find. Maybe you prefer to see me in Canada living on taxpayer money because I cannot find a descend job in Canada than working overseas and still paying income taxes as a tax resident.
I get you now and i understand the frustration. hopefully, your situation will get better soon.

Jun 19, 2020
@All: Ignore negative people who try to discourage you, PLEASE !
Let's focus on the most important.

What do you think of the organization of a simultaneous sitting in front of several IRCC CIC offices in several cities?

What do you think of the spousal sponsorship experience?
I also take the questions from my previous post.

Please be smart, ignore them.

Contacting our local parliamentarians, the press, and IRCC is all good, but it may not be enough.

We have to talk about simultaneous sittings in front of several IRCC CIC offices in several cities. If I remember correctly it was done on a Saturday.

I think it will be smart to gather some information before issuing such invitations to people in the same boat as us, a call to protest through social media for example.

Some relevant questions:

- Were the pending spousal sponsorships released on a Saturday? What time approximately, morning or afternoon? Maybe find the calls for demonstrations in the social media for inspiration?

- In front of which IRCC offices in which cities did they do their sittings?
I think we have to be smart, and not give the xenophobes a chance to attack us. The power of the media matters:
If ever these sittings are done, we must especially not talk about our personal justifications for having citizenship.

With all due respect to everyone, I am afraid that people are not replying to you because some of them do not understand your questions fully. Could you please put them in context.

- Were the pending spousal sponsorships released on a Saturday?

What release are you referring to?

Who they?

You may argue that it is the readers' onus to be more educated on the issue, which is fair enough given how heated the debate is. However, it is always better to be clear if you expect people to respond.

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I just got off the phone with my lawyer, and this is what they told me: (please don't quote me as an official source, I am simply conveying what I was told)

IRCC has no plans to address tests this year, the discussion is not even happening. Their priorities are elsewhere.

I am really frustrated by this, and it's dissapointing to even think we would be delayed even further. I for example have no test invitation since I applied in October 2017, my pr already expired, and it seems I won't get the new one for 6 months, maybe even more.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I just got off the phone with my lawyer, and this is what they told me: (please don't quote me as an official source, I am simply conveying what I was told)

IRCC has no plans to address tests this year, the discussion is not even happening. Their priorities are elsewhere.

I am really frustrated by this, and it's dissapointing to even think we would be delayed even further. I for example have no test invitation since I applied in October 2017, my pr already expired, and it seems I won't get the new one for 6 months, maybe even more.
I have it from some members here that you dont need citizenship and that you shouldn't complain.

I am sure they are happy to hear this news.

Reactions: omarnabsws

Dana.D

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Discussions and comments here are more depressing than the delay itself! Can you all please focus and give us ideas how we can take an action. If anyone has any idea, please speak up.
Thank you

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
With all due respect to everyone, I am afraid that people are not replying to you because some of them do not understand your questions fully. Could you please put them in context.

- Were the pending spousal sponsorships released on a Saturday?

What release are you referring to?

Who they?

You may argue that it is the readers' onus to be more educated on the issue, which is fair enough given how heated the debate is. However, it is always better to be clear if you expect people to respond.

You are right, a thousand apologies. Thank you for your indulgence: I am more French speaker than English speaker.

Did you read the title of this topic?

I was referring to spousal sponsors of foreigners, and awaiting processing of applications for permanent residence from their spouses outside Canada. The processing of this type of request completely stopped because of Covid, and so they lobbied for that to change, and it had given a result!

I invite you to reread the very first messages of this topic (The first two exactly), on page 1. I took them as an example for their activism, and the degree of noise they made (They alerted the press , video reports were made on hours of heavy listening during the radiojournal, alerted their local federal parliamentarian, and above all, they had organized a simultaneous sitting in front of several offices of IRCC CIC on the same day and at the same time to alert their situation. ).

See this article to get an idea of the background:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-protest-denounces-immigration-application-delays-1.5679721

Coming back to the questions in my last post, I wanted to survey people to find out, first if the idea of such a mobilization interests them as part of our demand for resumption of citizenship tests, then to find out, through the few questions you quoted, if any of the participants here have technical details of the sittings of the spousal sponsors I mentioned, to see if it is relevant to issue an invitation for sittings in front of the IRCC CIC offices on social networks.

Reactions: Dana.D
Jun 19, 2020
Coming back to the questions in my last post, I wanted to survey people to find out, first if the idea of such a mobilization interests them as part of our demand for resumption of citizenship tests...
Thank you for clearing this up.

Although I am not in this boat really, I still feel for those who are. I am willing to participate if such a gathering happens in Toronto.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
I invite you to reread the very first messages of this topic (The first two exactly), on page 1. I took them as an example for their activism, and the degree of noise they made (They alerted the press , video reports were made on hours of heavy listening during the radiojournal, alerted their local federal parliamentarian, and above all, they had organized a simultaneous sitting in front of several offices of IRCC CIC on the same day and at the same time to alert their situation. ).

See this article to get an idea of the background:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-protest-denounces-immigration-application-delays-1.5679721
It doesn't appear as if much if anything has changed for these applicants. Indeed they are planning a 2nd demonstration to be help this Saturday.

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
It doesn't appear as if much if anything has changed for these applicants. Indeed they are planning a 2nd demonstration to be help this Saturday.
The article clearly mentions that the sittigns forced IRCC CIC to respond and promise solutions.

Oh, are you sure, this coming Saturday, September 18? Where did you read this?

It's quite normal that they do this again, if it's true. That's what we call "keep the pressure on" ... I'm sure with passivity the result will be worse, and they will wait even more years for them.

We cannot say that the mobilization, the sittings, or even alerting the press or the federal parliamentarians is useless ... The results cannot be immediate, and having visibility because of the pressure is in itself a victory. = It will force them to look at your case, to discuss.

Anyway, do you have more information about their next Saturday sittings? A source, a link? ... Thank you.

Something just crossed my mind ... What if we joined them, to take advantage of the numbers? lol .... Claiming the resumption of IRCC CIC services ... Could it be a good idea?

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
Government has their priorities set right. Giving citizenship so that they can move to US should never have or should never be a priority for the government.

Reactions: vegasIndian