+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship taken away?

thomas0513

Dec 8, 2012
Hello, I am just wondering if anyone knows how long you can stay outside of Canada if you are a Canadian Citizen? One of my friends got their Canadian Citizenship taken away and he stayed out of Canada for 24 years. He was born in Canada too.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I thought (and I could be wrong) that if someone was born a Canadian their citizenship cannot be taken away under normal circumstances whereas it CAN be taken away for naturalized canadians.

So, it appears your friend (who was BORN a canadian) lost his citizenship under extra-ordinary circumstances ?? That sounds a bit odd. Maybe someone else has a plausible explanation of why he lost it despite being born a Canadian.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure your friend had their citizenship taken away but did not renounce it himself? It is very hard to lose Canadian citizenship. Some people renounce it, usually to take on a citizenship of another country that does not allow dual. Other than that, you could only lose it if you gained it by fraud.

There are no rules saying that a Canadian citizen must live in Canada or file taxes in Canada.