+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Processing time updated - 2013 + Little bit more clarity - Process

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Source: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

The data below shows the processing time from receipt of application to final decision for 80% of cases processed between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013:

Routine citizenship applications - 24 months (From 25 months)

Non-routine citizenship applications - 36 months

Interesting post on CIC website, must read:-

Source: cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2014/2014-02-21.asp

Process clarity

Also, I wanted to inform everyone that all the checks, FOSS, RCMP, CSIC as conducted by CPC-Sydney. If you file is straight forward, simple and everything is in pass status, then file is transferred to local visa office and they administer the test and oath.

If the file has any flags in any of the results, then transferred to local visa office.

Each file has a priority que. Depending how simple the file is, it is put in highest priority to process and complete it. It also depends upon how many files are pending in each priority type que.

Hope this information helps answer questions of people who are not sure why some files are processed faster and some takes time.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bump

Process clarity

Also, I wanted to inform everyone that all the checks, FOSS, RCMP, CSIC as conducted by CPC-Sydney. If you file is straight forward, simple and everything is in pass status, then file is transferred to local visa office and they administer the test and oath.

If the file has any flags in any of the results, then transferred to local visa office.

Each file has a priority que. Depending how simple the file is, it is put in highest priority to process and complete it. It also depends upon how many files are pending in each priority type que.

Hope this information helps answer questions of people who are not sure why some files are processed faster and some takes time.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
not to be a stickler, but how can the average be 24 months in 2013 when according to the stats of the site, around 78% of the cases are less than 24 months old at December 2013.

i feel the average will be much lower for 2014, but they may just keep the number of months to a higher bracket just to be safe.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
rocky272727 said:
Bump

Process clarity

Where are you getting this information?

coolcat!

Jan 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for sharing this...can you please elaborate this:

"...if the file has any flags in any of the results, then transferred to local visa office"

Does it mean that if there are any red flags then the file is transferred to the local office along-with the red flags?

rocky272727 said:
Source: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

The data below shows the processing time from receipt of application to final decision for 80% of cases processed between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013:

Routine citizenship applications - 24 months (From 25 months)

Non-routine citizenship applications - 36 months

Interesting post on CIC website, must read:-

Source: cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2014/2014-02-21.asp

Process clarity

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolcat! said:
Thanks a lot for sharing this...can you please elaborate this:

"...if the file has any flags in any of the results, then transferred to local visa office"

Does it mean that if there are any red flags then the file is transferred to the local office along-with the red flags?
Well, think of it as a flow chart, when all the answers are in sync with Yes or No, it just moves smoothly. When there are answers that point to answers that can be more then just a yes or no, then it goes for scrutiny.

Below are the example, when file can be flagged and put it separate que for processing:-
1- Any RQ trigger
2- Misrepresentation/Document issue
3- FOSS issues
4- RCMP issues - Finger prints requested
5- CISC Issues
6- Immigration clearance on hold
etc.

These are very few examples where a file is transferred in a que which has pre-set labels where official will further look at and further puts it forward for processing.

People are asking me questions about the access to this information. Let me put it this way, this information is there to help people understand the reason why some files are processed quickly as compared to other files. I have not put this information for people to create questions for me. I am just here to help.

Thanks

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
not to be a stickler, but how can the average be 24 months in 2013 when according to the stats of the site, around 78% of the cases are less than 24 months old at December 2013.

i feel the average will be much lower for 2014, but they may just keep the number of months to a higher bracket just to be safe.
FYI, this is just a copy paste from the CIC website. I agree with you regarding the 2014 files the stats will be much lower as compared to the 2013 files.

As per the forum members here, the average for 2013 is 12 months, where the some files processed as fast as 6 months and some even longer.

coolcat!

Jan 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rocky272727 said:
Well, think of it as a flow chart, when all the answers are in sync with Yes or No, it just moves smoothly. When there are answers that point to answers that can be more then just a yes or no, then it goes for scrutiny.

Below are the example, when file can be flagged and put it separate que for processing:-
1- Any RQ trigger
2- Misrepresentation/Document issue
3- FOSS issues
4- RCMP issues - Finger prints requested
5- CISC Issues
6- Immigration clearance on hold
etc.

These are very few examples where a file is transferred in a que which has pre-set labels where official will further look at and further puts it forward for processing.

People are asking me questions about the access to this information. Let me put it this way, this information is there to help people understand the reason why some files are processed quickly as compared to other files. I have not put this information for people to create questions for me. I am just here to help.

Thanks
Thank you for the clarification!

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The "80%" given in the CIC website reflects number of cases with decisions (either granted or not) within a recent time period or batch of application. This therefore does not mean "average" time for processing.

For a better breakdown of application timelines according to CIC, kindly check the CIC report on their target for cutting down the backlog:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2014/2014-02-21.asp

In this report, the citizenship grant inventory as of Dec 2013 is broken down as follows:
46% of applications aged up to 1 year (12 months)
20% of applications aged 13-18 months
12% of applications aged 19-24 months
22% of applications aged more than 2 years