+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Physical Presence Calculator Error

Yashp

Apr 21, 2021
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me get answers to my question. I appreciate anyhelp I can get on this.

I am currently a PR in Canada. I got my PR in June 2020. I was stuck in India at that time due to Covid-19. I had a immigration consultant helping me with my PR process. Once I got my PR approval he applied my PR card while I was in India and send me the card through mail. I got the card through mail in India and then I came back to Canada with PR card in November 2020.

Now that I am looking to apply for my Citizenship it is giving me an error while I am filling my travel outside of Canada in last 5 year section as it saying I was not in Canada when I got my PR.

Is anyone gone through the similar scenario and know what can be done to fix the error.

I would appreciate anyhelp I can receive on this.

Note:- I know now that one can not apply for PR card while being outside of country but at that time due to covid everyone was getting virtual lending and there was no option for ecopr.

LargeLanguageModelBot

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
but at that time due to covid everyone was getting virtual lending and there was no option for ecopr.
This is simply not true. There was ECOPR in pdf. In fact, if you actually cross the border at that time, they will ask for a print-out of that ECOPR. You still do flagpole landing.
I got my PR and did exactly that during the high time of covid.
I kinda understand your situation, but no this "note" is not a good excuse.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me get answers to my question. I appreciate anyhelp I can get on this.

I am currently a PR in Canada. I got my PR in June 2020. I was stuck in India at that time due to Covid-19. I had a immigration consultant helping me with my PR process. Once I got my PR approval he applied my PR card while I was in India and send me the card through mail. I got the card through mail in India and then I came back to Canada with PR card in November 2020.

Now that I am looking to apply for my Citizenship it is giving me an error while I am filling my travel outside of Canada in last 5 year section as it saying I was not in Canada when I got my PR.

Is anyone gone through the similar scenario and know what can be done to fix the error.

I would appreciate anyhelp I can receive on this.

Note:- I know now that one can not apply for PR card while being outside of country but at that time due to covid everyone was getting virtual lending and there was no option for ecopr.
The date you became PR(mentioned on back of your PR card), use that date in physical presence calculator as present in Canada. Calculator has that limitation of not accepting anyone becoming PR outside Canada which happened during Covid. Your calculation will have additional one day(which is wrong calculation) so apply with enough buffer. Attach letter of explanation with your application explaining your situation.

Yashp

Apr 21, 2021
The date you became PR(mentioned on back of your PR card), use that date in physical presence calculator as present in Canada. Calculator has that limitation of not accepting anyone becoming PR outside Canada which happened during Covid. Your calculation will have additional one day(which is wrong calculation) so apply with enough buffer. Attach letter of explanation with your application explaining your situation.
I am using the date shown at the back of PR card and it still giving an error.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am using the date shown at the back of PR card and it still giving an error.
Are you mentioning the entries like below ? -

X date to date before you got your PR - reason vacation in India

Next day date after you got your PR to Y date - reason vacation in India

No entry in physical presence calculator for the day you become PR

Yashp

Apr 21, 2021
Are you mentioning the entries like below ? -

X date to date before you got your PR - reason vacation in India

Next day date after you got your PR to Y date - reason vacation in India

No entry in physical presence calculator for the day you become PR
No I am was not putting that way. You think I should try that and add an explanation letter attched? You think it should work? Also do you know if mailing pr card out of Canada is legal?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
No I am was not putting that way. You think I should try that and add an explanation letter attched? You think it should work? Also do you know if mailing pr card out of Canada is legal?
You have to do that as IRCC has not updated the physical presence calculator to accommodate becoming PR when not in Canada which happened during Covid. It worked in the past. You can search the forum for examples. I am not sure about the legality of mailing PR card.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
What? I don't think that's true.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/physical-presence-calculator-error-please-advise.775550/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/physical-presence-pr-confirmation-portal-outside-canada.824274/

I’ve come across numerous instances on the forum that initially led me to believe that the errors were due to the applicants.
However, it appears that the process was not clearly defined during the Covid-19 pandemic, resulting in a multitude of similar cases.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’ve come across numerous instances on the forum that initially led me to believe that the errors were due to the applicants.
However, it appears that the process was not clearly defined during the Covid-19 pandemic, resulting in a multitude of similar cases.
The second link you showed was clearly an error of the applicant.

But at any rate: I hadn't come across such cases that weren't an error of the applicant. Even for those where it was, it doesn't resovle the issue.

All I can suggest is provide a letter of explanation with your own accounting of the physical presence that is accurate. But that's only an informed guess.

Reactions: forw.jane