+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship - I Have to work Abroad

Tomorrow501

Jul 8, 2006
Hi everybody,

I have PR since 2002. I work since 2001 with Canadian company which is part of big international company.
I’m usually asked to travel abroad to accomplish some tasks. Some times, I spend only few days in other countries to meet my foreign colleagues, to perform some electrical tests, to meet suppliers, … But some times I’m asked to stay many months in other countries, to work on international projects, bring new technologies to my home unit in Canada or to bring some production to Canada from other countries. While, I’m abroad I stay as Canadian employee, getting my salary in Canada, paying my taxes in Canada, …
IN MY CASE IT’S IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETE THE 3 YEARS IN CANADA DURING 4 YEARS.
I applied for Canadian Citizenship in 2004. I used some days when I was in Canada and others when I was abroad working for the Canadian company. I joined to my application an attestation from my employer confirming that: I NEED TO TRAVEL MANY TIMES ABROAD TO BRING TECHNOLOGIES, EXPERIENCES, AND PRODUCTIONS TO CANADA.

I know that those days outside Canada can be used to keep my PR but IT COULD BE used for my citizenship but it’s the Judge who can accept or not!
http://www.canadavisa.com/documents/citpol.htm

In 2006, CIC asked me to complete a form CIT 0171 and to join any document to help the judge making his decision.

Now, I’m waiting for an appointment with the Judge. According to CIC, it could take about 2 years. (I applied in 2004 and I should wait until 2008 to have an answer from the CIC!!)

In my opinion:
1. I was abroad for about two years but it wasn’t only good for my own professional experience but it helps the Canadian company to have new technologies in our field
2. I bring new projects to my home unit in Canada.
3. the production of some apparatus was done in other countries now it’s done in Canada which is good not only for the Canadian units but also for Canadian manufacturers which are our suppliers since the production of some parts is done here
4. I think that I do as any Canadian or other worker in Canada my duties even if I’m abroad.

My questions:
1. Do you think that the judge could accept those days I spent abroad to get my Citizenship?
2. Is there any way to accelerate the process and have an appointment with the judge before 2008?

Thank you very much for your help,

rakesh590

Oct 25, 2007
I do not think you will get citizenship , untill you stay 3 years minimum in Canada. I was called by judge and she told me to reapply . My case was similar to yours.

kunato

Oct 18, 2007
1. I don't think you will get a credible answer on these forums. A "Yes" may lull you into false dreams. A "No" may get you unjustly depressed. Only judge can make that decision. Anything is possible. The best you can do is to prepare for your hearing. Gather documents, organize them, present in a concise but thorough way.

Consider joining a volunteer group in your city,....e.g. volunteer in shelters, animal clinics, food donation,....this may add weight to your case.

2. No way to speed up the process.

akhenaton2280

Aug 4, 2010
Hi Tomorrow501, it's been like 6 years that now that you submitted your application. I'm almost in the same situation like you; did you get your citizenship yet? How was the meeting with the judge? Thanks for your answer years after :)