+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for Minor

canukatlantic

May 1, 2015
I applied for citizenship for my 10 yrs old in Aug 2014. Last week I got letter from CIC Sydney to send the PR card. How long does this process take where I would get the citizenship certificate? I am not in hurry but I might want to travel with my child outside Canada for vacation. Since I send in the card, he does not have any way to return back without the proper PR document. Anyone in this situation before?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did they specifically ask for the original?

If so, call CIC and ask them if this is because your child has been approved. Children younger than 14 do not have to go to oath ceremonies or take the test. It may be that CIC will send the citizenship certificate in return.

I am not sure how long the turnaround will be. The Call Centre may be able to inform you about this in a general way though.

Good luck.

canukatlantic

May 1, 2015
yes, they asked for the original card. The letter is time sensitive (60 days) uptill when I have to mail in the original PR card. I find it annoying that if they again sit on the application, I might not be able to go on vacation. There is a recourse to coming in without the PR card which is to apply for the PR travel document. Since it has to be done outside Canada, its a real pain.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
canukatlantic said:
I applied for citizenship for my 10 yrs old in Aug 2014. Last week I got letter from CIC Sydney to send the PR card. How long does this process take where I would get the citizenship certificate? I am not in hurry but I might want to travel with my child outside Canada for vacation. Since I send in the card, he does not have any way to return back without the proper PR document. Anyone in this situation before?
Did you get the certificate?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
as far as i know the PR card needs to be submitted(surrendered) in order to receive the citizenship certificate. You need to send the pr card in order to get citizenship certificate for your minor. You may need to postpone your plans for vacation.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
as far as i know the PR card needs to be submitted(surrendered) in order to receive the citizenship certificate. You need to send the pr card in order to get citizenship certificate for your minor. You may need to postpone your plans for vacation.
I'm more concerned in the timeline for a non concurrent child. There is no spreadsheet and very little conversation about children born abroad to Canadian citizens, who have to become landed immigrants and then naturalized themselves, AKA second generation born abroad. My child will be going through this process, once he's granted PR. I'm curious in Sydney's timeline for processing this little non concurrent people.

The surrendering of the PR is clearly laid out in the instructions, indicating Sydney is about to grant citizenship upon the child. So I'm surprised the OP was unaware.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
This is what it states in the instruction guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

Decision

If CIC determines your child meets all the requirements for citizenship, you will receive:

If the child is under 14 years of age
You will receive
A request for your child’s original Record of Landing (IMM 1000) and Permanent Resident Card.

Once these documents are received, the citizenship certificate as well as the updated IMM 1000 will be sent by mail.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
This is what it states in the instruction guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

Decision

If CIC determines your child meets all the requirements for citizenship, you will receive:

If the child is under 14 years of age
You will receive
A request for your child's original Record of Landing (IMM 1000) and Permanent Resident Card.

Once these documents are received, the citizenship certificate as well as the updated IMM 1000 will be sent by mail.
Thats what I said.... I'm confused at your angle.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
. I just provided more detailed information with the link, that's all.
Okee Dokee!!! Now I wish someone would start a non concurrent child spreadsheet! :D

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saria1 said:
Okee Dokee!!! Now I wish someone would start a non concurrent child spreadsheet! :D
you should go ahead and start the spreadsheet Saria! Why wait for someone else?

RHH

Oct 30, 2014
Hello,
I applied for my 2 kids 9 & 12 since October 2014. The ecas still show received. Do you think it will take mord time to send me the letter requesting the PR??

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
eileenf said:
you should go ahead and start the spreadsheet Saria! Why wait for someone else?
If I wasn't spreadsheet stupid, I seriously would ;)

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014
I wonder if your children received their Citizenship after you sent their PR cards? I did receive a letter to provide the original PR cards to Sydney.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
grumpy121 said:
I wonder if your children received their Citizenship after you sent their PR cards? I did receive a letter to provide the original PR cards to Sydney.
Did you apply concurrently or non concurrently? Do you also mind me asking when you submitted your child's application?