+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship by Descent Query

alphine0

Apr 2, 2019
I have a grandparent who naturalised in Canada and became a Canadian citizen. As I was born prior to 2009 (when changes in the Citizenship Act were made), my understanding is as long as they naturalised before my birth I'm already a Canadian citizen and only need to apply for a Citizenship certificate.

I'm having trouble checking their citizenship date, though. Their citizenship card (on the back it says "Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, This is to cerify that ___ is a Canadian citizen under the provisions of the Citizenship Act ...") has "YP-AP" as my year of birth. I was born in the December of that year. I think "YP-AP" refers to the card's issue date. If the card was issued in that year, and I was born pretty much at the end of the year, surely it takes a few months for the card to come and hence they must've naturalised before my birth?

He found an additional form relating to his citizenship. On it, it says "this is the only proof of Canadian naturalisation" apparently. On there the date is one year after the "YP-AP" of his Canadian citizenship card. The letter was sent 2 years after. I asked him about this, he said the original copy he got was lost, so he had to get a replacement. But in the replacement it says the date of naturalisation was one year after the "YP-AP" on the citizenship card.

How can the date of naturalisation be after the issue date of the citizenship card, which on the back says the person named above is a Canadian citizen?

I'm thinking there was some kind of error in the replacement letter. He cannot find any other proof relating to his naturalisation. I'm told I can get clarification here https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0058e.pdf but if the letter he possesses has the wrong naturalisation date, I'm guessing Canada's records do too.

What can I do here? If "YP-AP" is indeed the issue date, then the naturalisation date in the letter surely must be incorrect. But the citizenship card only has the year, so I don't think the date on that would be enough to confirm my eligiblity for Canadian citizenship, as it does not confirm whether his date of naturalisation was before my birth. Suggestions?

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I have a grandparent who naturalised in Canada and became a Canadian citizen. As I was born prior to 2009 (when changes in the Citizenship Act were made), my understanding is as long as they naturalised before my birth I'm already a Canadian citizen and only need to apply for a Citizenship certificate.

I'm having trouble checking their citizenship date, though. Their citizenship card (on the back it says "Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, This is to cerify that ___ is a Canadian citizen under the provisions of the Citizenship Act ...") has "YP-AP" as my year of birth. I was born in the December of that year. I think "YP-AP" refers to the card's issue date. If the card was issued in that year, and I was born pretty much at the end of the year, surely it takes a few months for the card to come and hence they must've naturalised before my birth?

He found an additional form relating to his citizenship. On it, it says "this is the only proof of Canadian naturalisation" apparently. On there the date is one year after the "YP-AP" of his Canadian citizenship card. The letter was sent 2 years after. I asked him about this, he said the original copy he got was lost, so he had to get a replacement. But in the replacement it says the date of naturalisation was one year after the "YP-AP" on the citizenship card.

How can the date of naturalisation be after the issue date of the citizenship card, which on the back says the person named above is a Canadian citizen?

I'm thinking there was some kind of error in the replacement letter. He cannot find any other proof relating to his naturalisation. I'm told I can get clarification here https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0058e.pdf but if the letter he possesses has the wrong naturalisation date, I'm guessing Canada's records do too.

What can I do here? If "YP-AP" is indeed the issue date, then the naturalisation date in the letter surely must be incorrect. But the citizenship card only has the year, so I don't think the date on that would be enough to confirm my eligiblity for Canadian citizenship, as it does not confirm whether his date of naturalisation was before my birth. Suggestions?
Were either of your parents born in Canada?

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Did your parent who is the 1st gen abroad actually have their citizenship certificate at the time you were born? Or did they apply for it later (or at all)?

alphine0

Apr 2, 2019
Did your parent who is the 1st gen abroad actually have their citizenship certificate at the time you were born? Or did they apply for it later (or at all)?
No.

My parents are both UK citizens only. Only my grandparents (on one side) are both Canadian citizens. They haven't applied at all afaik.

Last edited:

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
No.

My parents are both UK citizens only. Only my grandparents (on one side) are both Canadian citizens. They haven't applied at all afaik.
I see. Not trying to waste your time, but I was in a similar situation. Born in the US to US parents with a Canadian grandparent. My parent did not claim their citizenship before I was born and neither of us attempted to prior to 2009. When I applied for citizenship by descent in 2010 as a 2nd gen born abroad, CIC/IRCC told me I was ineligible because my parents hadn't claimed their citizenship by descent and hadn't registered me prior to 2009. Not sure if this will happen to you, it may not. Here's another thread on this:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/2nd-generation-citizens.372048/

Reactions: scylla

alphine0

Apr 2, 2019
I see. Not trying to waste your time, but I was in a similar situation. Born in the US to US parents with a Canadian grandparent. My parent did not claim their citizenship before I was born and neither of us attempted to prior to 2009. When I applied for citizenship by descent in 2010 as a 2nd gen born abroad, CIC/IRCC told me I was ineligible because my parents hadn't claimed their citizenship by descent and hadn't registered me prior to 2009. Not sure if this will happen to you, it may not. Here's another thread on this:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/2nd-generation-citizens.372048/
Ah, thanks for letting me know! Looks to be pretty similar to my case tbh, so I'm guessing I'm not eligible. That's a bummer.

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ah, thanks for letting me know! Looks to be pretty similar to my case tbh, so I'm guessing I'm not eligible. That's a bummer.
It's worth applying and giving it a try, in my opinion. You never know!

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
They haven't applied at all afaik.
Because of the many revisions to citizenship legislation since the commencement of the original 1947 Act, there are a few scenarios that could unexpectedly lead to possible eligibility, due to the applicant's date of birth and the parent's status at that time, today. With a little more information, there is still a possibility for you to be eligible as a second generation:
  • Is your Canadian grandparent your grandfather or grandmother?
  • What year was your parent born on?
  • What is your year of birth?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

For your parent to have become a Canadian citizen without registration, he/she would have to have been born to a Canadian-citizen parent after February 15, 1977. Then, you would have to have been born after that, but before 2009.

I think what you're saying is that your grandfather was naturalized the same year you were born. What's important, though, is that he was naturalized BEFORE your parent (your Canadian grandfather's child) was born. Citizenship doesn't jump over your parent to you.

Last edited:

alphine0

Apr 2, 2019
I think what your saying is that your grandfather was naturalized the same year you were born. What's important, though, is that he was naturalized BEFORE your parent (your Canadian grandfather's child) was born. Citizenship doesn't jump over your parent to you.
He wasn't naturalised before my parent was born, unfortunately. He did check to find his naturalisation date and the year after issue in my OP seems to just be the replacement letter date. He found an earlier letter that dates his naturalisation to before my birth, but I suppose that doesn't matter given Canada's citizenship laws, as he wasn't naturalised before my parent's birth. Some countries with citizenship by descent do skip over parent, afaik, but I suppose Canada isn't one of those.

Out of curiosity, I eligible for any kind of immigration to Canada? I believe PR sponsorship is only available to grandchildren if they are under 18 and an orphan, as well. Are there any other immigration means available that allow for an application for PR or similar by the nature of my grandparents' ties and residency in Canada? I can't seem to find any myself.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
He wasn't naturalised before my parent was born, unfortunately. He did check to find his naturalisation date and the year after issue in my OP seems to just be the replacement letter date. He found an earlier letter that dates his naturalisation to before my birth, but I suppose that doesn't matter given Canada's citizenship laws, as he wasn't naturalised before my parent's birth. Some countries with citizenship by descent do skip over parent, afaik, but I suppose Canada isn't one of those.

Out of curiosity, I eligible for any kind of immigration to Canada? I believe PR sponsorship is only available to grandchildren if they are under 18 and an orphan, as well. Are there any other immigration means available that allow for an application for PR or similar by the nature of my grandparents' ties and residency in Canada? I can't seem to find any myself.
Unfortunately that tie means little to nothing in PR process

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

That's because there aren't any. As far as Canada is concerned, you are just a "foreign national" and will need to go through the same immigration process as anyone else who is eligible for economic immigration.