+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application refused

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi all

What is the possible reason citizenship application get refused .

Thanks
  • Misrepresentation on this or any previous immigration-related application.
  • Not meeting residency requirements (or unable to prove residency).
  • Not providing necessary information that has been requested by IIRC in a timely manner.
  • Not showing up to the test and interview and/or not rescheduling it.
  • Any of the reasons described in https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html.
  • Not having filed your taxes for three out of the five most recent years in Canada.
  • Inability to prove you know one of the official languages to the required standard.
  • Failure to show a sufficient knowledge of Canada (in test or interview).
  • And there probably are some other reasons listed in the citizenship act, so if you want to know all possible reasons you should go read that.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
  • Not providing necessary information that has been requested by IIRC in a timely manner.
  • Any of the reasons described in https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html.
  • Not having filed your taxes for three out of the five most recent years in Canada.
  • Inability to prove you know one of the official languages to the required standard.
  • And there probably are some other reasons listed in the citizenship act, so if you want to know all possible reasons you should go read that.
Good response.

While referenced in the link, but warranting explicit acknowledgement: any of the prohibitions for criminality, ranging from having charges pending to being on probation, which can arise from a domestic violence charge, retail theft, or driving while impaired, any time prior to when the oath is actually taken, let alone from more serious criminal charges.

Among the prohibitions, another important one is continuing to have valid PR status, which requires meeting the PR Residency Obligation, right up to when the oath is taken.

Sumonaney

Nov 29, 2012

This is a example :

If I forgot to write one employer details in form

Or

If I forgot to add one holiday days in physical presence form

Or

Any error in form example, mistake or forgot to write information

Will it lead to refused citizenship application

Your reply will be greatly helpful

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
This is a example :

If I forgot to write one employer details in form

Or

If I forgot to add one holiday days in physical presence form

Or

Any error in form example, mistake or forgot to write information

Will it lead to refused citizenship application

Your reply will be greatly helpful
Much of this has been discussed in other posts on this forum recently.

For example, in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-citizen-canadian-pr-applying-for-canadian-citizenship.546488/#post-6763418.

Remember that it is up to the citizenship officers to determine if you made a small error that they can fix in their files and thus overlook, or if you made errors that make them worry about the veracity of your application, or if you made errors that appear to be intentional misrepresentations. The outcome is going to be very different in each of those cases -- and it is their policies and professional judgement that will inform their interpretation of what happened.

So, a typo or something minor you forgot may not cause any difficulty at all. It may cause your file to undergo extra scrutiny, and you may end up having to prove (by gathering and sending much more information) your case. Many errors in your file make that almost a certainty. And errors that seem attempts at misleading them (or actual attempts at misleading them) may cause your application to be denied.

So, be as accurate as possible. And if you notice you forgot something, or were unclear, send IIRC a clarification.

Reactions: qorax

J.S

Jul 13, 2015
Hello,
I am doing calcuation on days.
I used to visit states only for dinner / shopping. Most of the time i returned same day or sometimes late night 2:00 AM

I do not remember the dates. Any sugsestion.
Border is just 10 minuets from my home.

Thanks

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello,
I am doing calcuation on days.
I used to visit states only for dinner / shopping. Most of the time i returned same day or sometimes late night 2:00 AM

I do not remember the dates. Any sugsestion.
Border is just 10 minuets from my home.

Thanks
If you're not a US citizen, check your I94 travel history here : https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
For more complete reports, request both your CBSA and FOIA reports. Crosschecking canadian and US entry/exit reports should give you a good idea about your travels.