+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION - Leaving Country for Extended period

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys,
  1. Can we leave Canada for an extended period for any reason after sending the application package to IRCC?
  2. Do we have to inform IRCC that we are leaving Canada?
  3. Does it have any impact on the application processing timelines?
Answer to the first question
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

For the questions second and third I could not find answers in the help center.

Please provide more thoughts and real-time experience.

Thanks

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Do we have to inform IRCC that we are leaving Canada? Does it have any impact on the application processing timelines?

To my understanding there is no policy or statute on this, but keeping in mind there is an officer assigned and processing the specific files, maybe courtesy to inform if we are on a long duration plan.
(There has been cases, shared in the forum, when the concerned IRCC officer had tried to reach over phone for a quick reconfirmation on a specific point in a file thus avoiding delays for the applicant)

Ohcanada!!

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
IRCC requests information and they do actually share information with CBSA as of this year by implementing the entry exit program. I guess in the application you were asked to check the consent of sharing this info.
If IRCC accessed this info at any point through out the application and/or the officer knew about your travel (most likely going to happen) when he/she inspects your passport in the interview, this will trigger a red flag and might cause an issue as per the trends.
I dont know anything about the current applications (as applications in 2019 and 2020) but previous applicants doing the same used to get questioned vigorously about it

Ohcanada!!

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I would say, if it isn't vital or in other words un-explainable to the IRCC then try and postpone it. I think they would consider letting it pass if there was no other way around it, like a family emergency for example

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
I would say, if it isn't vital or in other words un-explainable to the IRCC then try and postpone it. I think they would consider letting it pass if there was no other way around it, like a family emergency for example
For citizenship applications, there is no red flag by CBSA for any travel after application, as there is no bar for outside travel as per IRCC. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

"Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.
If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
Make sure your PR card won’t expire while you are outside Canada.

We usually only mail letters, notices and other documents to addresses in Canada. In some cases, you may receive an email from us. You must reply to these letters or emails within a specified amount of time. If you don’t reply within the time frame and don’t provide an acceptable reason for not being able to keep your appointment with us or providing requested information, we may stop processing your application.

You must attend appointments and other events at our offices, like your:
  • citizenship test (for applicants 18 to 54 years of age)
  • interview or hearing
  • ceremony
These events only take place in Canada. If you can’t attend the appointment or event, you must either e-mail or write to the local office that sent you the event notice. You can also use the online web form to contact us."