+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application from outside Canada

satishkumar432

Aug 23, 2011
Hello Everyone,
I have completed more than 3 years as a canadian resident and got a short term opportunity for few years outside Canada. My canadian PR card expires in 2024 August and i hope i will get to the citizenship test by that time.

I have been reading other threads in the forum where people have done similar things and their experiences. Based on those could you please suggest the better approach from the below.

- Apply by myself with current proofs and go ahead with the move. But i am not sure if there are any clarifications would they email me or mail me to the canadian postal address in the address proof. If they do mail me then i wont be staying in that address anymore so i am thinking of doing a canada post forward for all the mails addressed to me to my friends place. So that he can inform me if they sent any clarifications by post.

- Another approach is to go with an immigration lawyer and let him take care of the application processing. Even though the citizenship application is straightforward, i am hoping that a representative will helpful in addressing if there are any queries with the application since i wont be having a valid address in canada.

Thank you so much for your valuable time in advance !

BGJ81

Apr 18, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I have completed more than 3 years as a canadian resident and got a short term opportunity for few years outside Canada. My canadian PR card expires in 2024 August and i hope i will get to the citizenship test by that time.

I have been reading other threads in the forum where people have done similar things and their experiences. Based on those could you please suggest the better approach from the below.

- Apply by myself with current proofs and go ahead with the move. But i am not sure if there are any clarifications would they email me or mail me to the canadian postal address in the address proof. If they do mail me then i wont be staying in that address anymore so i am thinking of doing a canada post forward for all the mails addressed to me to my friends place. So that he can inform me if they sent any clarifications by post.

- Another approach is to go with an immigration lawyer and let him take care of the application processing. Even though the citizenship application is straightforward, i am hoping that a representative will helpful in addressing if there are any queries with the application since i wont be having a valid address in canada.

Thank you so much for your valuable time in advance !
Hi,
We are in a similar situation. Completed the citizenship requirements but are planning to move to US for job. We want to apply for citizenship before we move, but are concerned about what address to use in the application as our current address won't be valid once we move out of the country and we won't have any Canadian address anymore. One option is to add our friend in Canada as our representative . Any thoughts ? Did you apply for the citizenship and what address did you use? Or did you use a representative ?

satishkumar432

Aug 23, 2011
I did contact an immigration lawyer to access my situation and other members in the group, who have done the same... i.e., they moved to states after AOR and applied for an address change to states and they had no prob with the citizenship test and oath... for oath they had to come back to canada.. the immigration attorney mentioned the same.

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
You can apply for it from outside of Canada. I had done it. IRCC accepted and processed my application. Keep in mind that you'll need to maintain your residency obligation as a PR going forward until the oath. You'll also need to take the oath in Canada. However, you may take the citizenship test outside of Canada after you receive a test invitation and make the request

Reactions: satishkumar432

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
You can apply for it from outside of Canada. I had done it. IRCC accepted and processed my application. Keep in mind that you'll need to maintain your residency obligation as a PR going forward until the oath. You'll also need to take the oath in Canada. However, you may take the citizenship test outside of Canada after you receive a test invitation and make the request
Did you applied online while outside Canada?