citizenship Application form and marital status

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everybody,
I am in the process of submitting my application and i just have an issue with my marital status .i tried to call cic several times but failed to reach them .
here is my question : somewhere in the application form we are asked about our marital status whether single ,married or legally seperated .
i did not know what to answer since i was married, not divorced yet and not legally seperated .
i mean my ex and i are just phisically seperated since 4 months now ,she stays in one province while i am residing in another province .
so should i answer with married or ???????i really have no clue .i wish someone had gone through the same situation to answer me , or anybody has the right answer.
thank you so much

Nilson 34

Feb 5, 2014
There is no such thing as " Legal separation" in Canada, but there is in the States. For Question 4B in the Application you need to provide your legal marital status. For my understanding your legal marital status is still "married", regardless the fact that you are technically separated. For me the term "legal separation" refers to different than Canada jurisdictions that have procedure called legal separation or to the approved by the Court separation agreement in which agreement the spouses are agreed to settle the consequences of ending the marriage- child, spousal support, dividing the property, etc.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdul560 said:
Hello everybody,
I am in the process of submitting my application and i just have an issue with my marital status .i tried to call cic several times but failed to reach them .
here is my question : somewhere in the application form we are asked about our marital status whether single ,married or legally seperated .
i did not know what to answer since i was married, not divorced yet and not legally seperated .
i mean my ex and i are just phisically seperated since 4 months now ,she stays in one province while i am residing in another province .
so should i answer with married or ???????i really have no clue .i wish someone had gone through the same situation to answer me , or anybody has the right answer.
thank you so much
Hi,
I was in the same situation and applied recently.
Here is what I did. I checked" legally separated" and I included a cover letter(I needed the cover letter to explain other issues anyway) I wrote : Please note that I'm just " separated" my ex and I did nothing to make it legal. I had to check " legally separated " because that's the closest description of my current marital status..
This way you come out clean. you re not hiding anything and you re not telling lies.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Remember this golden rule for citizenship application. Anything that you can't make clear in the form or in the documents you re providing, take your time and explain it in detail in a cover letter.

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you guys for taking the time to respond.
@Goldline i think i will go for that option and do just like you did, that makes more sense i guess in the eyes of who ever is processing the application .
just one more question please i know this sounds silly but i ve never used any cover letter before so should be just a piece of paper and i write down on it or is it a specific form ?
thanks again

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdul560 said:
thank you guys for taking the time to respond.
@ Goldline i think i will go for that option and do just like you did, that makes more sense i guess in the eyes of who ever is processing the application .
just one more question please i know this sounds silly but i ve never used any cover letter before so should be just a piece of paper and i write down on it or is it a specific form ?
thanks again
Just a simple sheet like you re writing a letter:

Dear CIC agent,

Please note that .....
(make sure you sign it)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
To clarify, you ARE legally separated. Canada doesn't require any formal actions to become legally separated. All that is required is that you live apart from each other because the relationship has broken down.

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
To clarify, you ARE legally separated. Canada doesn't require any formal actions to become legally separated. All that is required is that you live apart from each other because the relationship has broken down.
I agree with you to some extent but it's the term legally that makes a confusion to me , because when you determine someone'status as being legally seperated this means there are others who are illegaly seperated .
i just wanna know why it is mentioned in the citizenship application form itself instead of just seperated?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This definition is in the guide for applying for PR: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp

"Legally Separated: This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse."

I know that PR and citizenship aren't the same thing, but this is apparently how CIC views "legally separated".

Cosmique

Jun 13, 2012
alphazip said:
"Legally Separated: This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse."

I know that PR and citizenship aren't the same thing, but this is apparently how CIC views "legally separated".

Hello,

I am now eligible to submit the application for the citizenship. In 2015 November I married my ex-boyfriend in Colombia, submitted the sponsorship request, got accepted to sponsor him and in June we noticed things did not work out between me and him (being in a long distance for too long and NEVER lived together) and decided to get divorce (effective August 2016). He NEVER became a permanent resident and NEVER came to live in Canada.

In the form CIT 0002 to apply for the citizenship, under Marital Status, should I leave it as "Never Married"? Or divorced even though it was just valid in Colombia? if marking "Divorced" should I submit any support documentation?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,

Juanita

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Cosmique said:
In the form CIT 0002 to apply for the citizenship, under Marital Status, should I leave it as "Never Married"? Or divorced even though it was just valid in Colombia? if marking "Divorced" should I submit any support documentation?O
Of course you can't select "Never Married". You were married and are now divorced. You will be required to submit the divorce certificate.

Cosmique

Jun 13, 2012
canuck_in_uk said:
Of course you can't select "Never Married". You were married and are now divorced. You will be required to submit the divorce certificate.
Thanks a lot, I will submit the divorce certificate with my citizenship application

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Cosmique said:
In the form CIT 0002 to apply for the citizenship, under Marital Status, should I leave it as "Never Married"? Or divorced even though it was just valid in Colombia? if marking "Divorced" should I submit any support documentation?

Juanita
Hi Juanita

Sure, you should select "Divorced" and attach legal document to confirm it. Why? Because of two things: First, the CIC will have reference to your sponsorship of your EX in the system even though he never got PR status. Still, you have applied to sponsor him before. Second, you have to report and answer the questions accurately, so nothing will come to haunt you in future.

Good luck

deep143

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hi,
I'm in similar situation. Can you please share how you processed your application and what was the output??

Hi,
I was in the same situation and applied recently.
Here is what I did. I checked" legally separated" and I included a cover letter(I needed the cover letter to explain other issues anyway) I wrote : Please note that I'm just " separated" my ex and I did nothing to make it legal. I had to check " legally separated " because that's the closest description of my current marital status..
This way you come out clean. you re not hiding anything and you re not telling lies.