+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application and change from Work Visa to Visitor Visa

Fish025

Mar 31, 2019
Hi everyone!

First of all I want to thank everyone who posts here, reading through the threads has been very helpful for my application.

I have a question because I am in a bit of strange situation. On the application I have to list all my Temporary Statuses (question 9b) before becoming PR. I was working in Canada on a work visa from July 2013 to April 2014. This visa expired on May 30, 2014.

When I booked my return flight I stupidly forgot about that expiration date and booked my return flight on June 4, 2014.

At the end of April 2014 I took a trip to the USA with my family and when I returned to Canada I explained the situation to the customs agent, and asked how to proceed because I did not want to stay past my visa even by a couple days. They were extremely nice (although they teased me a bit for making this mistake lol) and stamped my passport as visitor until the middle of June 2014.

I then boarded my flight back to my home country on June 4, 2014 as planned.

Now, I am not sure how to list this in the question 9b on the CIT00002e form. Should I indicate that my work visa expired on May 30th and then list the other day as a visitor visa, or should I list the end of my work visa as the end of April, when my passport was stamped by the custom officer? I am worried that if I indicate something wrong, it will look like I overstayed after the end of my work visa when I did not.

My other question is that the passport that I had expired in 2016 and when I renewed it in my home country they refused to let me keep my old passport. Would that be an issue for my application? I have a copy of the bio page for the old passport but not the stamps.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks