+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship App Returned because of Passport copies of kids

Outbound

Jul 25, 2009
Hi, I have submitted my application to CIC for the citizenship. There is one of the requirement to provide preceding 4 years of passport biographical pages for all applicants. I have applied with my two kids and they don't have 4 years of passport because since we moved in Canada, we never renewed their passports and never traveled outside of Canada and we have only one passports for them which was expired in 2011 and we landed in 2010. I did not renew any of their passport after that.

Therefore when I applied sometime in early March 2015, I had sent the copies of the only passport they have which was expired in 2011, now they sent the application back asking for the passports for past 4 years. The truth is that I don't have for past 4 years, we never thought they will ask this, rest of the documents are correct except for this, from where I can produce a passport from past date? that is the only passport the kids had which was expired in 2011 and I cannot make one now in the back date. They're both US citizens.

Please help, if anyone ever experience this scenario and what should I do, attach a letter with the app stating that is the only passport they have or what? :(

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Outbound said:
Hi, I have submitted my application to CIC for the citizenship. There is one of the requirement to provide preceding 4 years of passport biographical pages for all applicants. I have applied with my two kids and they don't have 4 years of passport because since we moved in Canada, we never renewed their passports and never traveled outside of Canada and we have only one passports for them which was expired in 2011 and we landed in 2010. I did not renew any of their passport after that.

Therefore when I applied sometime in early March 2015, I had sent the copies of the only passport they have which was expired in 2011, now they sent the application back asking for the passports for past 4 years. The truth is that I don't have for past 4 years, we never thought they will ask this, rest of the documents are correct except for this, from where I can produce a passport from past date? that is the only passport the kids had which was expired in 2011 and I cannot make one now in the back date. They're both US citizens.

Please help, if anyone ever experience this scenario and what should I do, attach a letter with the app stating that is the only passport they have or what? :(

Thanks,
I am sorry to know that the application has been returned.

Please re-submit the application with a detailed explanation letter clarifying the situation. Mention that the kids have only have the passports that expired in 2011 and the passports were never renewed and the kids never traveled outside canada. I suppose each of your kid has his/her own passport which got expired in 2011, correct?
Please provide complete and accurate details to avoid any further issues.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Outbound said:

Thanks,
In the guideline for any requested document that cannot be provided you're required to explain the reason.
You should have sent them a letter explaining why you are not able to provide a passport copy covering the 4yrs preceding the application.

Quote from guideline:
Biographical page of Passport(s)/Travel Documents of the child

The biographical page means the page where it has your child’s name, photo, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.

Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents of your child (valid and cancelled) for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application. If the child was included in the passport(s) of one of the parents, provide copies of that passport(s)

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel documents.

Note: If any of these documents are no longer in your possession please explain why. (it can be read "If any of these documents are not available please explain why")

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

ch33rez

May 27, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2009
Doc's Request.
07/11/2010 & 23/12/2010
AOR Received.
20/11/2009
File Transfer...
22/10/2009
Med's Request
20/05/2011
Med's Done....
29/06/2009 & 26/05/2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20/05/2011
VISA ISSUED...
07/07/2011
LANDED..........
18/07/2011
Outbound said:

Thanks,
Sorry to hear that. Please resubmit with explanation letter, thats what I did. My passport was expired so I submitted my application with letter explaining them that my passport is expired and I havent travelled since then and i am not planning to travel in near future and guess what they accpeted my application.

Outbound

Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for your replies;

Yes they have their own individual passports and both were expired in 2011 and we came here in 2010. Since we didn't go anywhere, we didn't had the need of renewing and making new passports for the kids, kids and wife stayed in Canada since 2010 and never travelled, I went outside of the country alone for 20 days only. Since I provided all the details of my passport, they said in the letter that my application is complete.

So you are suggesting to resubmit the application with the detailed letter explaining the fact that the kids never have any other passport then what we have?

Thank you very much, I called to CIC and they never answer the phone and I am in line forever.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Outbound said:
Thanks for your replies;

Yes they have their own individual passports and both were expired in 2011 and we came here in 2010. Since we didn't go anywhere, we didn't had the need of renewing and making new passports for the kids, kids and wife stayed in Canada since 2010 and never travelled, I went outside of the country alone for 20 days only. Since I provided all the details of my passport, they said in the letter that my application is complete.

So you are suggesting to resubmit the application with the detailed letter explaining the fact that the kids never have any other passport then what we have?

Thank you very much, I called to CIC and they never answer the phone and I am in line forever.
yes, please explain everything:

Mention that the kids have only have the passports that expired in 2011 and the passports were never renewed and the kids never traveled outside canada.

Also Call cic at 1-888-242-2100 to confirm the details. Press 4 and then 0. If it says they are busy and can't transfer the call, then hang up and call again and press 4 and 0 again. Redial few times until the system puts you on hold to talk to an agent. You may have to call 5-20 times in order to get your call transferred.

hgn

Feb 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just a thought....

isn't a passport (Canadian or otherwise) supposed to be very important piece of identification, especially for kids who have limited IDs to work with? and they need to be kept updated (renewed) on a religious basis?

wouldn't a passport that has been expired 3-4 years and not renewed, shown as a piece of ID, a big red flag to CIC?

is there a particular reason why you did not renew their passport considering that you guys may need to travel unexpectedly etc?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
hgn said:
just a thought....

isn't a passport (Canadian or otherwise) supposed to be very important piece of identification, especially for kids who have limited IDs to work with? and they need to be kept updated (renewed) on a religious basis?

wouldn't a passport that has been expired 3-4 years and not renewed, shown as a piece of ID, a big red flag to CIC?

is there a particular reason why you did not renew their passport considering that you guys may need to travel unexpectedly etc?

I suppose outbound has not used the expired passport as a piece of ID as expired IDs can't be used as a piece of ID. Outbound, can you please confirm?

I think if the person does not need to travel outside Canada, its up to him to renew the passport or not. I think there is no such requirement to renew the passport.

Outbound

Jul 25, 2009
OK, I have talk to the CIC and they said that attach a letter (as you all are saying) that why there is only one passport and resend the application. She said that since you never attach any letter explaining why the passport copies are not available for the last 4 years, therefore they assumed that its a missing information.

No, I never used passport for the kids identification, I also have PR card for them which is valid and was used for the ID whenever it was needed. I also attached the PR card copy with the application as a valid ID for the app.

So I am attaching this letter explaining why and going to resubmit this today.

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Outbound said:
OK, I have talk to the CIC and they said that attach a letter (as you all are saying) that why there is only one passport and resend the application. She said that since you never attach any letter explaining why the passport copies are not available for the last 4 years, therefore they assumed that its a missing information.

No, I never used passport for the kids identification, I also have PR card for them which is valid and was used for the ID whenever it was needed. I also attached the PR card copy with the application as a valid ID for the app.

So I am attaching this letter explaining why and going to resubmit this today.

Thanks,
Okay, i suppose you are still attaching passport's biographical pages of your children for the section: Biographical page of Passport(s)/Travel Documents of the child, correct?

Are you children under 18 years? If yes, check the following link:

For two pieces of ID check the following link;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

Two (2) pieces of the child's personal identification

Both pieces of identification should show your child's name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.

Examples include:

school record
health insurance card
If there is information on both sides of your child's personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

For a child under school age, identification such as:

a passport page containing his or her photo and personal details, or
a hospital or immunization record, may be provided
Format: Clear and legible photocopy

Outbound

Jul 25, 2009
Yes, I did that -

The application returned with only one question with the children application.. which is that attach the remaining years of passport.

They are both under 18.

I attached Expired PP Biographical copy and a letter explaining why it is one only PP copy (when I resubmitted it today)
health Insurance card copy
and PR card copy with picture which is valid.

So this requirement was fulfilled.

Since they only asked the missing passport copies which were actually not missing, I attached a letter explaining and resubmitted... lets see what happens. The CIC Help Desk personnel told me that attach a letter explaining you only have one passport and that you never travelled outside of Canada during this time and re-submit.

I am sure, if they wanted to confirm this and I am sure they will, as I have to sign a consent form to check our travel records from CBSA.

So all good this time hopefully- Thanks for your help...