+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0520 after citizenship test

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Does CIT0520 mean the case has been referred to Citizenship Judge ?

Steve

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No it means you have to furnish additional documents as mentioned in the CIT 0520 form.
.Steve said:
Hi,

Does CIT0520 mean the case has been referred to Citizenship Judge ?

Steve

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andrew7007 said:
No it means you have to furnish additional documents as mentioned in the CIT 0520 form.
I did furnish the requested documents.

My question was regarding the information on CIC website

Timeframe to make a decision
•The Act and Regulations do not specify a time period in which citizenship officers must make their decision. However, for consistency and timeliness, officers are, to the extent possible, strongly encouraged to make their decision within 60 days after the day on which the application is referred to them.
•Citizenship judges have 60 days after the day on which the application is referred to them to make a decision. Judges can also render decisions without the personal appearance of the applicant, through requests for additional documentation or via the procedural fairness model. Officers should regularly review cases to ensure that files directed to a judge for decision are completed within the 60-day timeframe.

Note: If the judge wishes to see extra documents not on file, they can request that the applicant provide the documents in advance of the hearing by using the Request for supplementary evidence form [CIT 0520]. This approach may reduce the volume of documentation applicants bring to their hearing and reduce the need to cancel hearings.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/decision/roles.asp

Does it mean the CJ is involved in CIT0520 cases

Thanks
Steve

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
.Steve said:
I did furnish the requested documents.

My question was regarding the information on CIC website

Timeframe to make a decision
•The Act and Regulations do not specify a time period in which citizenship officers must make their decision. However, for consistency and timeliness, officers are, to the extent possible, strongly encouraged to make their decision within 60 days after the day on which the application is referred to them.
•Citizenship judges have 60 days after the day on which the application is referred to them to make a decision. Judges can also render decisions without the personal appearance of the applicant, through requests for additional documentation or via the procedural fairness model. Officers should regularly review cases to ensure that files directed to a judge for decision are completed within the 60-day timeframe.

Note: If the judge wishes to see extra documents not on file, they can request that the applicant provide the documents in advance of the hearing by using the Request for supplementary evidence form [CIT 0520]. This approach may reduce the volume of documentation applicants bring to their hearing and reduce the need to cancel hearings.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/decision/roles.asp

Does it mean the CJ is involved in CIT0520 cases

Thanks
Steve
Not necessarily. Possibly. Probably not likely unless the applicant has previously been issued CIT 0171, the full-blown RQ.

CIT 0520 is sometimes called RQ-lite but it is also used to request specific documents where an IRCC officer, or possibly a CJ (though we have not seen much in the way of personal experience of this), has identified relatively specific concerns or questions which certain documents are more or less likely to answer.

In the meantime, unless and until there is a formal CJ hearing, there is no prescribed period of time in which a citizenship application must be decided. While the timelines for both routine and non-routinely processed applications have been considerably shortened in the last year or two, the timeline for any given individual appears to still vary widely.

Applicants issued CIT 0520, and even more so those issued CIT 0171, tend to have the longer timelines (except for those applications stalled by a security concern subject to extraordinary CSIS checks, which appears to affect only a very small percentage of applicants) than most.

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi andrew7007 and Jarrodz,

You both too got the CIT0520 and have mentioned about security checks
Would that be applicable to my case ?
CIT0520 was issued on Jan 17, 2017
CIT response delivered on Feb 16, 2017

Thanks
Steve

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you first apply for citizenship, a security check is done. It has some validity, hence if your CIT 0520 docs are accepted and the process complete before the expiry of your security check then you should be fine else revalidating the checks takes anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks. The checks are done by CIC so you don't have to do a thing/
.Steve said:
Hi andrew7007 and Jarrodz,

You both too got the CIT0520 and have mentioned about security checks
Would that be applicable to my case ?
CIT0520 was issued on Jan 17, 2017
CIT response delivered on Feb 16, 2017

Thanks
Steve

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andrew7007 said:
When you first apply for citizenship, a security check is done. It has some validity, hence if your CIT 0520 docs are accepted and the process complete before the expiry of your security check then you should be fine else revalidating the checks takes anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks. The checks are done by CIC so you don't have to do a thing/
Thank you Andrew !

Any other candidates with CIT0520 please share your timelines and experiences.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
.Steve said:
Thank you Andrew !

Any other candidates with CIT0520 please share your timelines and experiences.
Received US travel history from CBP, All the entries and exits were recorded correctly. Only thing is there were 2 outbound entries recorded for some reason on 1/30/2013 and 1/31/2013. I actually exited from US on 1/30/2013 but dropped the I-94 with the Airlines counter while boarding the flight. I'm thinking CBP might have entered the outbound record on 1/31/2013 based on I-94. Anyone had similar issue ?

I'm still waiting for Canadian entry/exit records from CBSA.

SRMANTHRI

Jan 22, 2017
I got 20/20 in citizenship test.
I submitted all the documents for citizenship. I lived more then 4.5 years in vancouver .
Finally during interview with citizenship officer he asked my work related question , where my kids study and other information.
I have answered all of his questions promptly but the officer asked me to show company badge or some kind of proof as he wanted to know where i work etc..?
which i could not as i didnot carry my company id or badge or employment letter.
I was give CIT0520 to submit employment letter on Feb 23rd, it was frustrating i submitted the employment letter from 2012 till 2016 -feb 26th.
I called the call center and verified- they said the case is in progress and they received the additional document.
I dont know how long will it it take , some of friends who landed at same time were not asked anything just informed about getting oauth letter with in 3-4 months. The process is not good they never mentioned to carry employment letter or rental reciepts and it totally depends on citizenship officer and region as well. Vancouver is laid back and slow as well ..

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
SRMANTHRI said:
some of friends who landed at same time were not asked anything just informed about getting oauth letter with in 3-4 months. The process is not good they never mentioned to carry employment letter or rental reciepts and it totally depends on citizenship officer and region as well. Vancouver is laid back and slow as well ..
Well done for the test performance, and congratulations on having reached the final stage of processing.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with a last minute additional requirement.

Randomness of requests depending on office location and the mood of the processing officer is, in my view at least, one of the worst parts of how the applications are processed in Canada. Almost everywhere else (that I have experienced) such processes have a robust nature and in-built control measures to ensure consistency in implementation.

But then this is Canada. What can you say, eh?

Cheer-up - you are almost there now :)

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SRMANTHRI said:
I got 20/20 in citizenship test.
I submitted all the documents for citizenship. I lived more then 4.5 years in vancouver .
Finally during interview with citizenship officer he asked my work related question , where my kids study and other information.
I have answered all of his questions promptly but the officer asked me to show company badge or some kind of proof as he wanted to know where i work etc..?
which i could not as i didnot carry my company id or badge or employment letter.
I was give CIT0520 to submit employment letter on Feb 23rd, it was frustrating i submitted the employment letter from 2012 till 2016 -feb 26th.
I called the call center and verified- they said the case is in progress and they received the additional document.
I dont know how long will it it take , some of friends who landed at same time were not asked anything just informed about getting oauth letter with in 3-4 months. The process is not good they never mentioned to carry employment letter or rental reciepts and it totally depends on citizenship officer and region as well. Vancouver is laid back and slow as well ..
I am in the same situation.
CIT0520 was mailed to me after my test on Jan 17th
Response was delivered on Feb 16th
No update since then....

When did you submit your response ?