Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Hi, I'm working on my citizenship application, and I have some questions/reassurance needs. Thanks in advance!

Question 2: I have applied for Canadian citizenship before.

I answered 'yes,' but still have to find out when they received it so I can put down the date — it was returned to me without them starting to process with a note that the biographical pages of my passport were missing (they weren't, but...), and instead of returning the package to them I discontinued the application much later on. I will include an explanation letter about this but would like to know if it would be correct to say 'yes.'

Does the 'applied' in this case is valid for all and any applications sent even if they get returned and they never start working (my case), or do they count only if they started processing the application?

Question 3A: Name (exactly as shown on my immigration document)

In the instruction guide it says:

"Immigration documents include your:

Record of landing (IMM 1000)
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
Permanent resident card (PR card)
"

My IMM 5292 and my PR Card show completely different names. Do I use the one on the PR Card, which is the current legal name? I have in mind using for 3A the name on the PR Card (recently renewed), and then putting down the old name (on the IMM 5292) in 3C ("any other names") — would that be correct?

Question 6B: When did you first come to live in Canada if different from A?

I would say that it is December 2008, when I got a visitor visa to come stay with my husband in Canada — the key word here is "live." However, I have seen others saying that they (or someone else) would/should put down the date that they first came to Canada on a variety of visas... I first came to Canada in April 2008, but only came with the intention to settle in December 2008. So I should put down December 2008, correct?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriamT said:
Question 2: I have applied for Canadian citizenship before.

I answered 'yes,' but still have to find out when they received it so I can put down the date — it was returned to me without them starting to process with a note that the biographical pages of my passport were missing (they weren't, but...), and instead of returning the package to them I discontinued the application much later on. I will include an explanation letter about this but would like to know if it would be correct to say 'yes.'

Does the 'applied' in this case is valid for all and any applications sent even if they get returned and they never start working (my case), or do they count only if they started processing the application?
discontinued the application much later on
If the application was never assigned a number (i.e., processing was not begun), it's as if you never applied. Therefore, you would answer "no" and there would be no need to include an explanation letter. However, I'm confused by your statement that you "discontinued the application much later on." Do you mean that you corresponded with CIC about the application after it was returned?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
@ MiriamT

Question 2: Application returned is never received (that's what the cic agent said). As your previous application was never accepted and was returned which means it was never processed and never entered in the system, you should write "No". Its a good idea to write the explanation on the cover note.

Question 3: Why are the names different? Is it due to legal name change or marriage?
The info that you written seems to be correct procedure. PR card name on 3A and COPR name on 3C

I am not too sure about question 6b. Please wait for someone experience with such scenario to provide you that information.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
alphazip said:
If the application was never assigned a number (i.e., processing was not begun), it's as if you never applied. Therefore, you would answer "no" and there would be no need to include an explanation letter.
Thanks!

alphazip said:
However, I'm confused by your statement that you "discontinued the application much later on." Do you mean that you corresponded with CIC about the application after it was returned?
I'm sorry about not having written very clearly. I meant that the application was returned approximately a month and a half later, but I wouldn't send CIC until much later the paper included in the application which gave me two options: resending with the required documentation, or discontinuing the application and having my fees refunded. It took me over 6 months to send it back, and I chose the latter. If CIC tried to correspond with me, I would not know. The address they had on file was for my in-laws (I was temporarily living with them at the time), and they never told me of anything (including my refund cheque which was sent to them and I have no idea what happened to it).

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
thecoolguysam said:
@ MiriamT

Question 2: Application returned is never received (that's what the cic agent said). As your previous application was never accepted and was returned which means it was never processed and never entered in the system, you should write "No". Its a good idea to write the explanation on the cover note.
Thanks

thecoolguysam said:
Question 3: Why are the names different? Is it due to legal name change or marriage?
The info that you written seems to be correct procedure. PR card name on 3A and COPR name on 3C
Legal name change. I never used my husband's surname.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
MiriamT said:
Thanks

Legal name change. I never used my husband's surname.
Okay, so if you understand you correctly you have your old name on landing documents and also since birth and then you got your legal name change done and got your pr card replaced, correct?

If that's the case then the same thing happened with me as well. I used my new legal name in Section 3 A (i have also got my pr card replaced with new legal name and that's why i mentioned it in 3A) and i used my name since birth in Section 3C

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
thecoolguysam said:
Okay, so if you understand you correctly you have your old name on landing documents and also since birth and then you got your legal name change done and got your pr card replaced, correct?
I got my PR Card renewed (not replaced because of name change), but yes. Name change occurred in October 2014, PR Card expired in December 2014, and I applied for a PR Card renewal in May 2015 (and already received the new card). PR Card has my legal name.

thecoolguysam said:
If that's the case then the same thing happened with me as well. I used my new legal name in Section 3 A (i have also got my pr card replaced with new legal name and that's why i mentioned it in 3A) and i used my name since birth in Section 3C
Okay, so I was correct.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
thecoolguysam said:
I am not too sure about question 6b. Please wait for someone experience with such scenario to provide you that information.
For the moment being, I'll write down the date I came with the intention to live, not the first date I entered Canada (a 2-week trip to visit my boyfriend at the time). And since I'm already including an explanation letter for question 2, I'll include a paragraph with the other date.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
MiriamT said:
Question 6B: When did you first come to live in Canada if different from A?

I would say that it is December 2008, when I got a visitor visa to come stay with my husband in Canada — the key word here is "live." However, I have seen others saying that they (or someone else) would/should put down the date that they first came to Canada on a variety of visas... I first came to Canada in April 2008, but only came with the intention to settle in December 2008. So I should put down December 2008, correct?
I just spoke to a CIC officer and she said that someone who came on a visitor visa did not come to live in Canada — which does make sense —, even if the intention was to stay. She also said that I should put down the date in which I became a Permanent Resident.