+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0001 (Citizenship Certificate) - Legal Name Change - Sections 7 and 8

JTang

May 28, 2022
Hello, I am confused on the CIT 0001 (Citizenship Certificate) form.
I had a legal name change (given name change).
I understand this form is used for updating name, birthdate, gender, but also used for persons claiming to get Canadian Citizenship for those born outside Canada from Canadian parents or grandparents.
Do I need to fill out section 7 (about Parents) and section 8 (about Grandparents)? Or just enter "N/A" as not applicable on these sections? Because all I had was a name change and want to get an updated Citizenship Certificate with my new name.

If I do have to fill out sections 7 and 8. My question is on section 8. This form asks the following about grandparents:
=================================
Section 8 Tell us about your grandparents
Full name of parent1: _______________
If parent1 was born outside Canada, was one of the parent 1's parents (i.e.: your grandparents) a Canadian Citizen and/or Crown servant of Canada at the time of this parent's birth or adoption?
Was parent1 born outside Canada? No: skip to parent2 Yes
Was one of the parent 1's parents (your grandparents) a Canadian? No: skip to parent2 Yes
If you chose a "YES" response, please provide the following details:
Parent A of parent1 Name_____, Birthdate____, etc
==================================
First of all, the sentence "If parent1 was born outside Canada, was one of the parent 1's parents (i.e.: your grandparents) a Canadian Citizen and/or Crown servant of Canada at the time of this parent's birth or adoption?" is just a sentence without an option to says "YES" or "NO" checkboxes.
The checkboxes are on "was parent1 born outside Canada" and on "Was one of the grandparents a Canadian"?

So, my parent 1 was born outside Canada and his parents (my grandparents) are not Canadian.
My question is:
If I say YES to parent born outside Canada, and then NO to grandparents being Canadian, how to I interpret the next line: "If you chose a "YES" response, please provide the following details" ?
Do I have to enter my grandparents' information? or not?

thank you.

IOI1984

Star Member
Aug 4, 2018
Hi, I know your question is from last year, but I was also very confused about this for a long time.

Right off the bat, section 9 starts with 'Tell us about your grandparents,' but it throws you a curveball and asks for the name of PARENT 1. You might think that's the place to write your grandfather's name, but no. That is (most probably) your father's name, just like the section you've just filled in, Section 8.
Very confusingly worded section!

Here's what I did:
Section 9
Full name of PARENT 1: Just write your father's full name and select YES for 'Was Parent 1 born outside Canada?' and select NO for 'Was one of your gradparents Canadian?' Do the same thing for PARENT 2 (your mother) below. After that you just leave all the "Parent A/B of Parent 1" and "Parent A/B of Parent 2" fields blank.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited: