+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children born in UK

natcat7000

Mar 15, 2016
Hi all,
I feel like I am asking a question I should be able to figure out myself but here goes:

- I was born in England to a Canadian mum and British dad.
- We moved to Canada when I was young and my mother applied for my citizenship when I was a minor (which was granted in 1985) and I then lived in Canada most of my life.
- I moved back to England as an adult for a job, met husband, we had two children in England.
- I sponsored my family successfully and we now live in Canada permanently. My husband has PR.
- Are my kids automatically Canadian via my citizenship? Do I need to go through an application process for this or can I just request a Canadian citizenship certificate? And then passports, SIN numbers etc. after that.

I’m sorry if this is a no brainer. I feel like I’m getting different answers in different places at different times! OR I just need more coffee.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,
I feel like I am asking a question I should be able to figure out myself but here goes:

- We moved to Canada when I was young and my mother applied for my citizenship when I was a minor (which was granted in 1985) and I then lived in Canada most of my life.
- I moved back to England as an adult for a job, met husband, we had two children in England.
- I sponsored my family successfully and we now live in Canada permanently. My husband has PR.
- Are my kids automatically Canadian via my citizenship? Do I need to go through an application process for this or can I just request a Canadian citizenship certificate? And then passports, SIN numbers etc. after that.

I’m sorry if this is a no brainer. I feel like I’m getting different answers in different places at different times! OR I just need more coffee.
Your kids are also PRs. They are not automatically Canadian. As they have a Canadian parent, they qualify to apply for citizenship without having to meet the residency requirement. Note that a Certificate of Citizenship is proof of citizenship; they are not yet citizens, so that doesn't apply to them.

You can apply now for their grants of citizenship.

natcat7000

Mar 15, 2016

snowflayc

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Hi all,

I think you can refer to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=365&top=5 as well.

natcat7000

Mar 15, 2016
Your kids are also PRs. They are not automatically Canadian. As they have a Canadian parent, they qualify to apply for citizenship without having to meet the residency requirement. Note that a Certificate of Citizenship is proof of citizenship; they are not yet citizens, so that doesn't apply to them.

You can apply now for their grants of citizenship.
Thank you for responding. I think the reason I’m confused is because:

- I understand there is a limit on those of us Canadians having their babies outside of Canada and expecting citizenship. Two generations I believe?

- BUT When I applied to sponsor husband plus two kids, we paid fee for three people. Two child fees were refunded. And upon arrival in Canada and my husband receiving his PR, there were no PR cards for the kids.

- Our sponsorship application file was assigned to the London UK office of Canadian immigration and so they were my contact. I sent an email to my contact at the London office asking this exact question and was told they were entitled to Canadian citizenship therefore they have not been included in our COPR.

And... (sorry not done yet!) when I start to review the forms required to begin the process of requesting a citizenship certificate for the kids, the first thing they ask for is a UCI via their COPR which they don’t have. Would I just refer to our overall sponsorship UCI reference number? These official government forms stress me out.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for responding. I think the reason I’m confused is because:

- I understand there is a limit on those of us Canadians having their babies outside of Canada and expecting citizenship. Two generations I believe?

- BUT When I applied to sponsor husband plus two kids, we paid fee for three people. Two child fees were refunded. And upon arrival in Canada and my husband receiving his PR, there were no PR cards for the kids.

- Our sponsorship application file was assigned to the London UK office of Canadian immigration and so they were my contact. I sent an email to my contact at the London office asking this exact question and was told they were entitled to Canadian citizenship therefore they have not been included in our COPR.

And... (sorry not done yet!) when I start to review the forms required to begin the process of requesting a citizenship certificate for the kids, the first thing they ask for is a UCI via their COPR which they don’t have. Would I just refer to our overall sponsorship UCI reference number? These official government forms stress me out.
When were your children born?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They were born 2011 and 2013
Then it looks like IRCC f**ked up your app big time. Your children are second generation born abroad and are not Canadian. They were required to be included in the app and become PRs first.

At this point, I would seek immediate help from your MP.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Then it looks like IRCC f**ked up your app big time. Your children are second generation born abroad and are not Canadian. They were required to be included in the app and become PRs first.

At this point, I would seek immediate help from your MP.
1. Not necessarily, it all depends on the dates. if it was pre 2009, when citizenship could still be passed to 2nd generation born abroad.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

1. Not necessarily, it all depends on the dates. if it was pre 2009, when citizenship could still be passed to 2nd generation born abroad.
I asked that already. As stated by OP, the children were born 2011 and 2013.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

You say that your citizenship was "granted" in 1985 when you were a minor. When exactly were you born? If in/after 1977, you inherited citizenship from your mother and would have been issued a citizenship certificate in 1985 as a citizen by descent. If you were born before 1977, you would have had to apply to be a naturalized citizen. The children born abroad to a naturalized citizen (if born after the naturalization) are Canadian citizens by descent, no matter whether they were born before or after 2009.

However, the 2009 changes to the Citizenship Act made you a citizen by descent, even if you were naturalized. That being the case, the restriction on citizenship by descent to those born abroad in the first generation may kick in. So...I can't say positively whether your children are or are not Canadian citizens by descent. If you were born after 1977, they're not. If you were born before 1977 and were naturalized in 1985, then maybe. As the citizenship tool states, the best thing to do is to apply for citizenship certificates for them and see what happens.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk