02-11-2015
AOR Received.
20-04-2016
Med's Request
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-06-2016
Hi there,

My spouse moved here in Jan 2014 and we got married in April 2014. I filed my taxes that April and notified CRA of my change in marital status. In 2015 I filed my taxes but did not send in a return for my spouse because I mistakenly thought he was a non-resident (for tax-purposes). For this reason, my child tax benefit payments were stopped in August 2015 and when I called, an agent told me they needed a tax return for my spouse in order to calculate our household income and therefore my CCTB. I did as the agent advised and sent in his return (with all zeros, since we are doing an inland application and he is not working) as well as a letter of requesting that my spouse be issued a temporary tax number. I didn't hear back until December 2015 when I received a letter in reply, requesting a copy of my spouse's ID. I sent it in right away, it is now March and I still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I have had no CCTB which has been a bit of a hardship as we have 3 children and I am the only income earner. When I try to call, they have no way of checking on the request I sent in, as my husband has no SIN/tax number. Now it's tax time again and I'm not sure how to go about sending in his return without a tax number. I called and an agent suggested I send in the request for a tax number again, with this year's return attached. Has anyone experienced this kind of delay when waiting for a temporary tax number to be issued? Should I send in his return by mail and send mine electronically since I usually do it online? Just getting a bit frustrated here even though I know it's my own mistake and lack of information. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to speed this along. Thanks for your help.