+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Sponsorship-living with me here in canada

GeorgeJoseph

Jul 22, 2009
Hi All,

I recently moved to Canada as a PR. Both myself and my spouse are canadian PR holders, but my 3 years son is not. He is a US citizen (holding US Passport) and so he just entered canada without any specific visa. And now, I have applied for his PR. Per the CIC website, it will take one year to get his PR (under family sponsorship category). My doubt is, should i need to do any temporary visa renewal for him until he gets his PR in hand ?

by the way, I checked for his eligibility for the OHIP (health card) and they said, he is not eligible for his OHIP or SIN until he gets the PR approval letter.

Please advise me on the visa status renewal for him. Please note that, he is a US citizen and he was just allowed inside canada without any questions. Just a stamp of what date he entered inside was made and no... nothing was made in his passport. Can he just like that stay/ live inside canada without doing anything/ without any visa renewal until his PR comes ?

Kindly advise. bye, Geo

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
I believe that you will have to apply for an extension since the initally stamp is only for 6 months. It can be done online on CIC's website, but I am not 100% sure

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
marsiangal said:
He should not need any visa/permit while waiting for Pr since you and your husband are both legally here in Canada. Although you are right he is not eligible for a health Card and SIn while waiting.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp
cheers
that's not correct. Children sponsorship are always outland and there is no implied status. You do need to maintain your child status in Canada for the duration of the application.
If nothing was noted in his passport, the entry stamp gives him the right to be here up to 6 months. A month before the visa expires, apply for an extension online - add the proof that you have applied for PR, and wait for the renewal/extension of his current visa. You need to do that before the visa expires.

If the visa expires before you get the answer on the extension, that's not an issue, he is on implied status until CIC sends the confirmation ( most likely) of his extension. You can ask for 1 year extension, based on the processing times, so you don't have to do the process twice (if granted of course).

He is not eligible for OHIP, I would recommend taking a private insurance for him until he is covered, as if anything happens you would have to pay yourself, and it can add up very quickly.
Good luck,
Sweden

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
Sweden said:
that's not correct. Children sponsorship are always outland and there is no implied status. You do need to maintain your child status in Canada for the duration of the application.
If nothing was noted in his passport, the entry stamp gives him the right to be here up to 6 months. A month before the visa expires, apply for an extension online - add the proof that you have applied for PR, and wait for the renewal/extension of his current visa. You need to do that before the visa expires.

If the visa expires before you get the answer on the extension, that's not an issue, he is on implied status until CIC sends the confirmation ( most likely) of his extension. You can ask for 1 year extension, based on the processing times, so you don't have to do the process twice (if granted of course).

He is not eligible for OHIP, I would recommend taking a private insurance for him until he is covered, as if anything happens you would have to pay yourself, and it can add up very quickly.
Good luck,
Sweden
Immigration is very complex if I do say so,you've stated that children are always sponsored via the Outland route but that's not correct either,my husband is sponsoring our daughter inland route!!!-so i would suggest she calls CIC and ask!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mrembo said:
Immigration is very complex if I do say so,you've stated that children are always sponsored via the Outland route but that's not correct either,my husband is sponsoring our daughter inland route!!!-so i would suggest she calls CIC and ask!
If I understand your situation, your husband is sponsoring YOU; your daughter is an accompanying dependent of the sponsored person.

When sponsoring ONLY a dependent child, as the OP has done, the only option is outland.

From CIC:

Inland: If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Mrembo said:
CIC call center is often not accurate ( or plain wrong) as they didn't go through the process themselves, and there is no possibility to talk to a CIC officer - only call center agent.

In your case, your child is most likely included in your own application. You're the principal applicant and your daughter is sponsored as a dependent, so she can be included in an inland application.

IF a child is the main applicant, whether he is in Canada or outside is irrelevant, it's always an Outland application.
Sweden

GeorgeJoseph

Jul 22, 2009
Yes.......... Sweden is correct. I spoke to the call centre personnel and they strongly advised me to apply as outland only (as it is only for my son and it cannot be applied as inland at all). But, the visa office has been choosen as OTTAWA Piolet processing centre (that is inside canada).

For initial first round of processsing, i had sent the application to the mississauga office. For the second round processing, it is supposed to go the US visa office (since my son is a US citizen)............but the officer sent it to the ottawa office.

that is is the story. .. .. . .. .. .

bye, Goe

GeorgeJoseph

Jul 22, 2009
Hi All - May I know the link (url/ website) where I can extend his visa (just a entry date stamp has been put in his passport page) ?. Some inputs please ..............

thank you, bye... Geo

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ottawa is indeed the centre that processes all US applicants, so that's fairly normal!

For extension, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp and follow the steps.
Good luck,
Sweden

FlashG

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul-19-2012 and July 24, 2013
Doc's Request.
Note: Dependent had to be re-applied for in July 2013. Doc request on Sep-19-2013
Nomination.....
Second PPR Sep-19-2013
AOR Received.
DM1 Aug-28-2012/DM 1 Aug 21-2013
Med's Done....
Feb 2012, repeat X-rays requested April 30, 2013. Complete new Medical July 2013
Interview........
Waived/Waived
Passport Req..
Nov-22-2012 and second time on Sep 19-2013
VISA ISSUED...
May-29-2013 Decision Made on e-cas (DM2), and second time on January 14, 2013 June 7, 2013 COPR received, June 10,2013 COPR Returned to VO for correction, June 23, 2013 COPR received back, no correction made. Second COPR received January 23, 2014
LANDED..........
Landed July 5, 2013 (Spouse); Flagpole Landing for Dependent on Mar 14, 2014 PR Card Received Aug 1, 2014
Hi,

May add some to this discussion please ? Slightly different twists and a lot more questions about sponsoring a dependent child only - outland, but living here with us in Canada.

1. My wife (newly landed PR) will be the sponsor of her dependent 19 year old daughter (living here with us under a study permit - long story, she was not given PR because of a mistake on my wife's PR application which showed her as "non-accompanying"). My wife is not working yet and I am supporting both (both my spouse and my step-daughter). Should I be a co-signer, can I be and is this a good idea? Otherwise, how does she demonstrate any finances ? The application asks for her "Option C" printout - I have one, but she does not (just landed!). But how do I include mine as proof for her sponsorship, unless I am co-signer for our daughter ? But then again could I sponsor someone, or co-sign for someone when I just finished sponsoring my spouse ? Confusing.

2. For my wife to sponsor her daughter, are my 2 children (from a previous marriage) included in the undertaking for her ?

The sponsor evaluation form says:
6 b) "Every other family member not included above and dependent on you (or the co-signer, if you have one) financially, whether they are living with you or not".

The key here is that my children are not dependent financially on my spouse, they are financially dependent on me. Any thoughts on whether to include them?

3. The current process in the last 6 months seems to be a requirement to provide evidence of an "upfront medical examination". Our daughter had a medical exam (in China) for her study visa 2012 and a recent re-medical x-ray (2013 here) to update/extend for my wife's PR application. I was told by the CIC call centre (who looked it up electronically) that the expiry date on my daughter's medical is listed as January 2014.

Can we (she) submit her PR application without having to re-do the medical which is valid and already on electronic file ? Seems like a bizarre question to ask, but the Immigration forms seem to indicate no exceptions to submitting proper evidence of medicals with the application. I don't think we can actually get a another Copy 1 of the previous medical "signed and provided by the panel physician" from China. We do have a colour photocopy that was made during my wife's PR application (medicals provided for both her and her daughter) - would that be good enough? Or how can we get CIC confirmation of the medical file in their own records ?? Barring that - its a new medical here in Canada I guess. Who can I ask to get an answer to this question - perhaps the senior members here might know the answer.

It seems like there should be some guidance somewhere by CIC on these questions - but I have read the guides thoroughly and am not seeing them.

Thanks

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1 - there is no co-sponsor for children/spouses sponsorship. So it's your wife who will be the sponsor, to sponsor her own daughter. However, you can just include an explanation of the situation, and explain that your wife is fully supported by you, and include proofs of that, and include an assessment of your financial ability - pretty much the same as you did for your wife. It should be fine. What CIC is concerned is seeing the sponsor go on welfare, but if you have been approved for your wife it shouldn't be an issue with the daughter, and CIC will understand that it was a mistake before ( hence the situation now).

2 - if your children are already Canadians ( which I assume they are if you're the sponsor initially), then they don't need to be included in the application to be sponsored, they can be listed under "additional family information" form.

3 - for the medicals: it's a tricky question and not a very common case. I would say: just include a new medical. The time that you will gain is probably worth the money. The other one might be valid, but you will only know when CIC finally assesses it, and they might have a hard time finding it etc. - so to save time and energy later on I would say : do another medical, so you don't have to wonder whether it's still valid, whether they will be able to find it etc. etc. But - that's just my personal opinion.

Good luck,
Sweden