+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child out of the country during Oath ceremony

Felixo

Star Member
Jan 4, 2014
Guys,
My wife and kid have applied together and my wife is working in Sweden and my son is with her.
During her test if my child is in Sweden do I need to get the child back to Canada?

I am confused because when my wife gets the oath the two become Canadian. If at that time the son is not in Canada that means he is having the old passport which is not a canadian passport. So is that ok?

Or should my son be here and I have to change the passport to Canadian passport and then he can go back to Sweden?
I am worried as he has to miss his final exams of the school year if he has to come back during test/oath

BalajiR

Jan 11, 2014
Whitby, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the following is on CIC website

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp

but I would suggest you call CIC and check with them.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your son 14 or older? If he is, he will have to attend the oath ceremony in order to get citizenship. If he is on his mothers application as a dependent child, he does not have to appear for the test.

If somebody has a good reason why they can not attend the oath, they can ask to reschedule. However, immigration will schedule the oath at a time that is good for them and not you so you have no idea when you will be called again. It could be in a month, in a year, who knows.

If the son is under 14, he does not have to attend the oath. When his mother comes back to Sweden after the oath, she can apply for a Canadian passport for him through the Canadian embassy.

Felixo

Star Member
Jan 4, 2014
BalajiR said:
the following is on CIC website

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp

but I would suggest you call CIC and check with them.
Thanks Balaji

Felixo

Star Member
Jan 4, 2014
Leon said:
Is your son 14 or older? If he is, he will have to attend the oath ceremony in order to get citizenship. If he is on his mothers application as a dependent child, he does not have to appear for the test.

If somebody has a good reason why they can not attend the oath, they can ask to reschedule. However, immigration will schedule the oath at a time that is good for them and not you so you have no idea when you will be called again. It could be in a month, in a year, who knows.

If the son is under 14, he does not have to attend the oath. When his mother comes back to Sweden after the oath, she can apply for a Canadian passport for him through the Canadian embassy.
Thanks Leon.

My son is 10 years old and he is being applied with my wife.

My only concern is suppose my wife comes for the test (alone) and gets oath within a week/month and if my son is still in Sweden then will it be difficult for him to enter Canada later?

Because the day my wife gets the citizenship that means she and my son both are canadian from that date. So if he enters Canada say after 3 months his citizenship while reentering won't be canadian but of Sweden.

Hope you got my point.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Felixo said:
Thanks Leon.

My son is 10 years old and he is being applied with my wife.

My only concern is suppose my wife comes for the test (alone) and gets oath within a week/month and if my son is still in Sweden then will it be difficult for him to enter Canada later?

Because the day my wife gets the citizenship that means she and my son both are canadian from that date. So if he enters Canada say after 3 months his citizenship while reentering won't be canadian but of Sweden.

Hope you got my point.
You are worried about the final exams of a 10 year old? I can't imagine they would be that important at that age.

It will not be difficult for him to enter Canada later. Your wife can apply for a Canadian passport for him at the Canadian embassy in Sweden. If she doesn't get around to it, it will also work flying on his Swedish passport but as they land in Canada, they should say that he is a Canadian citizen and show his citizenship certificate. Actually, he is a dual citizen, both Swedish and Canadian so he can travel on either passport.

Seira

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
Leon said:
You are worried about the final exams of a 10 year old? I can't imagine they would be that important at that age.

It will not be difficult for him to enter Canada later. Your wife can apply for a Canadian passport for him at the Canadian embassy in Sweden. If she doesn't get around to it, it will also work flying on his Swedish passport but as they land in Canada, they should say that he is a Canadian citizen and show his citizenship certificate. Actually, he is a dual citizen, both Swedish and Canadian so he can travel on either passport.
Hi Leon,
I am in a similar situation but I am from India. Will it also imply to me if my children are in India(below 14) during oath?
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seira said:
Hi Leon,
I am in a similar situation but I am from India. Will it also imply to me if my children are in India(below 14) during oath?
Thanks
Your case is different in two ways. First, your children will lose their Indian citizenship when they get Canadian because India does not allow dual. Therefore they can not travel on their Indian passports after getting Canadian citizenship. Where his case differs, his son will be a dual citizen because Sweden allows dual and can therefore continue to travel on his Swedish passport.

Second, your children, even if they could travel on their Indian passports, are not visa exempt to Canada while his son is.

However, it is still not a problem because after you get back to India, you can apply for Canadian passports for your children through the Canadian embassy in India.

Seira

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
Leon said:
Your case is different in two ways. First, your children will lose their Indian citizenship when they get Canadian because India does not allow dual. Therefore they can not travel on their Indian passports after getting Canadian citizenship. Where his case differs, his son will be a dual citizen because Sweden allows dual and can therefore continue to travel on his Swedish passport.

Second, your children, even if they could travel on their Indian passports, are not visa exempt to Canada while his son is.

However, it is still not a problem because after you get back to India, you can apply for Canadian passports for your children through the Canadian embassy in India.
Thanks Leon. I am happy to read your detailed answer and get the suggestion of applying in India.
Appreciate it

Felixo

Star Member
Jan 4, 2014
Leon said:

Thank you so much.

Explorer1909

Feb 4, 2024
Hello everyone,
I have a child (minor 3.5 year old) on my application who is outside Canada at the time of my Oath Taking Ceremony with his mother. The application includes my child and myself. Since it is optional for minors to attend the ceremony, is it necessary for the minor to be present inside Canada at the time of Oath Taking? Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,
I have a child (minor 3.5 year old) on my application who is outside Canada at the time of my Oath Taking Ceremony with his mother. The application includes my child and myself. Since it is optional for minors to attend the ceremony, is it necessary for the minor to be present inside Canada at the time of Oath Taking? Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
They need not be, but there is a process for there PR card to be cut and sent to some address. How will you manage that?

Explorer1909

Feb 4, 2024
I will opt for the e-certificate of citizenship and can apply for a Canadian passport outside of Canada through the consulate.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Reactions: mefarahat

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Not that I've encountered the situation, but it should be doable to tell the agent that the daughter will cut the ID, send the picture that the father can then show the agent, either from the phone on the laptop camera during the call, in mail or whatever...
Maybe a call with IRCC regarding this specific question can clarify the situation.