+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

child education and medical benefits for non-citizens?

jrxstyper

Jan 1, 2015
Hello Folks, Happy new year!
My name is Yohan. I currently reside in Seoul, Korea.
I got a job in Vancouver and I am scheduled to start working in June.
Here is the dilema. My wife is three months pregnant and she is due in July.
My concern is that the MSP( the insurance) would probaby not be ready by the time my wife delivers the baby.
So, plan A is that we deliver the baby in Canada at any cost, even if we have to play $20,000 for medical fees.
Plan B is that my wife deilvers the baby in Korea and they join me couple of months later in Vancouver.
Obviously Plan B sounds much easier but, the reason why we desire the plan A is because, we assume that my child would have so much disadvantages if he or she is not a citizen.

Let's say my child is a non-citizen. Basically I want to know what are the disadvantages my child would get as a permant resident.
Here are the questions.
1) Eventually I will become a permanant resident. If I become a permanant resident, can my child becif ome a permanant resident as well?
2) Can permanant resident attend public schools? if not, how much should I pay for private schools. I basically want to know if child education takes a lot of suffer for permanant residents
3) will my baby get medical benefits from MSP?
Thank you.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
jrxstyper said:
Hello Folks, Happy new year!
My name is Yohan. I currently reside in Seoul, Korea.
I got a job in Vancouver and I am scheduled to start working in June.
Here is the dilema. My wife is three months pregnant and she is due in July.
My concern is that the MSP( the insurance) would probaby not be ready by the time my wife delivers the baby.
So, plan A is that we deliver the baby in Canada at any cost, even if we have to play $20,000 for medical fees.
Plan B is that my wife deilvers the baby in Korea and they join me couple of months later in Vancouver.
Obviously Plan B sounds much easier but, the reason why we desire the plan A is because, we assume that my child would have so much disadvantages if he or she is not a citizen.

Let's say my child is a non-citizen. Basically I want to know what are the disadvantages my child would get as a permant resident.
Here are the questions.
1) Eventually I will become a permanant resident. If I become a permanant resident, can my child becif ome a permanant resident as well?
2) Can permanant resident attend public schools? if not, how much should I pay for private schools. I basically want to know if child education takes a lot of suffer for permanant residents
3) will my baby get medical benefits from MSP?
Thank you.
1) when ever you submit your permanent resident application you have to include your wife and children (under 19yrs of age) in your application to be processed as your dependents. you all will get Pr cards at the same time.
2) yes your kids can attend public schools even before becoming a permanent resident.
3) if your child is born in canada he will directly become a Canadian citizen. and if baby is born outside of canada you have togo through all the sponsorship process to make the baby a permanent residence.

You have provided a little information about your own current status or type of status you yourself will be living with in canada initially. so more accurate answers to your questions will base on what will be your initial status in canada.

hope it hepls

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jrxstyper said:
There are no disadvantages for a child PR. A PR cannot vote, hold political office or work in certain high security jobs and must meet the Residency Obligation. Other than that, they have all of the same rights as a Canadian citizen, including education and healthcare.