Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Hi All,

A couple if questions regarding my daughter. She was born outside of Canada and we are looking at moving to Canada permanently from Australia later this year.

My husband is Canadian by birth, and I have my PR.

I am in the process of applying for her to obtain a Citizenship certificate, to then apply for a Canadian passport.

1. The Document checklist asks for two identity docs with photos. I have an Austtalian passport as one document, but my daughter is only 19months. What other photo documents can I use?

2. How long does it take to process? If we don't receive proof in time is it ok for her to enter Canada as an Australian citizen, and then have her reside in Canada whilst waiting for the rest of the documentation?

Thanks so much in advance!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: Child Citizenship Certificate proof of Identity and processing times

bagelbagel81 said:
1. The Document checklist asks for two identity docs with photos. I have an Austtalian passport as one document, but my daughter is only 19months. What other photo documents can I use?

2. How long does it take to process? If we don't receive proof in time is it ok for her to enter Canada as an Australian citizen, and then have her reside in Canada whilst waiting for the rest of the documentation?
Hi

1. I'm not sure what checklist you are looking at.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0014E-2.pdf

Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver's license or a health insurance card, ONE of which must have your photo on it.

2. It takes many months. Your child can't travel to Canada on her Australian passport because as a Canadian citizen, she cannot obtain an eTA. She will require a Canadian passport to travel to Canada. As she is under the age of 2, you can apply concurrently for the Certificate of Citizenship and a limited validity Canadian passport.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!

Thanks for the response!

The link you posted was the checklist I was looking at- with the words you copied and pasted. I completely misread the 'one' as two... thanks for the clarification!

So what is an eTa? Do you know how long it takes to process a limited validity Canadian passport? Can I apply for this, and still use it if she turns two in the interim? Sorry for all the questions!

Edited to add: Oh, She actually has an eTA on her Australian passport already- as we are visiting Canada as we speak. So basically you are saying to process the citizenship certificate and passport we will need to be out of country? Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

bagelbagel81 said:
Edited to add: Oh, She actually has an eTA on her Australian passport already- as we are visiting Canada as we speak. So basically you are saying to process the citizenship certificate and passport we will need to be out of country? Thanks again
Uh, if she has an eTA, it means you lied on the application and didn't declare her Canadian citizenship. That isn't good.

You don't need to be out of Canada to apply for the citizenship certificate and passport.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
But I didn't lie on the application? They processed the VISA at excess baggage for me at the airport on the way out? We all went together as a family and they were well aware of all our citizenship/Visa statuses?

Thanks for clarification on the inside/outside part too

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bagelbagel81 said:
But I didn't lie on the application? They processed the VISA at excess baggage for me at the airport on the way out? We all went together as a family and they were well aware of all our citizenship/Visa statuses?

Thanks for clarification on the inside/outside part too
There is some confusion happening here. When you say "at the airport on the way out", what do you mean? The etA must be applied for BEFORE travelling to Canada. As of November 10th, 2016, the eTA became mandatory for all visa-exempt foreign nationals to be able to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada.

When did you actually fly to Canada?

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Our holiday to visit family in Canada is/was from 23rd December-8th Jan.
Upon checking in at Sydney (Australia) airport the attendant said they had a new regulation which was brought in a month or so ago requiring my daughter to have a Visa or eTa. She said go over to excess baggage and they can organise one for us on the spot.
Went over to excess baggage and paid $7 + $35 processing fee and they organised it for us then and there. Gave me a receipt- there was nothing physically in her passport, but the gentlemen said it would appear electronically. We then went back to check-in to get boarding passes.
Immigration on the way into Canada at Vancouver airport checked everything and asked us what our plans/intentions were and we said 'holidaying' and he asked me if I had my PR and I said I sure do- then that was that... hmmm maybe there is some kind of loophole or something at the moment. But obviously upon returning to Aus I am applying for my daughter's Temporary passport and Citizenship certificate. I just hope that I don't encounter issues in processing that now because of this eTa issue...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bagelbagel81 said:
Upon checking in at Sydney (Australia) airport the attendant said they had a new regulation which was brought in a month or so ago requiring my daughter to have a Visa or eTa. She said go over to excess baggage and they can organise one for us on the spot.
Went over to excess baggage and paid $7 + $35 processing fee and they organised it for us then and there. Gave me a receipt- there was nothing physically in her passport, but the gentlemen said it would appear electronically. We then went back to check-in to get boarding passes.

Immigration on the way into Canada at Vancouver airport checked everything and asked us what our plans/intentions were and we said 'holidaying' and he asked me if I had my PR and I said I sure do- then that was that... hmmm maybe there is some kind of loophole or something at the moment.

But obviously upon returning to Aus I am applying for my daughter's Temporary passport and Citizenship certificate. I just hope that I don't encounter issues in processing that now because of this eTa issue...
OK, so I'm guessing you never informed the person at the airport that filled out the eTA form on her behalf that she was a Canadian citizen, so they didn't declare your child's Canadian citizenship. Though the lie was unintentional, it was ultimately your (and of course your spouse's) responsibility to ensure that the correct information was submitted. The simple fact is that as a Canadian citizen, your child did not qualify for an eTA.

There was no loophole. The eTA is simply permission to board a commercial carrier to Canada; it doesn't have anything to do with actually being granted entry to Canada. CBSA didn't look or care how your daughter travelled to Canada; they just looked at whether they could grant her entry.

I don't think the eTA situation will have any effect on the certificate and passport apps. At this point, I wouldn't mention it. She shouldn't travel on the eTA again.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Thanks for clarifying. This makes sense... nope, I definitely don't intend on doing so. It is a little frustrating as I witnessed my husband telling check-in that she was our daughter and a citizen- and would definitely not have lied had the question been asked! Hopefully it's as you say, and does not affect future processing.