20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DKG said:
Thanks much, Alphazip! That's very helpful. (Getting a "definite answer from CIC" is difficult, since I can't even find that they provide a phone number for ex-patriot Canadians to call them about such questions. Unbelievable!)

Regarding my question 4, I'm leaning toward not having any of my daughters sign. Two of the three are too young to sign at all, and I think it will only look confusing to have one sign (listing me as her assistant) and the others not. Make sense?

Does anyone else want to offer a second opinion on Alphazip's response? I hope to get this thing in the mail within a few days here...
1. Yes, Fill in the wife’s information. It is required regardless of nationality of other parent.
2. Yes, Say N/A
3. If you say NO to both 8 b) 1 and 2 then you leave grandparent info blank. It is required to be filled if you answered YES to 8 b) 1 or 2.
4. Only you as parent sign the application if any of the child is under 14 year of age. The child does not sign anything anywhere.
5. You do not need to send marriage certificate as marriage of parents has no bearing on the child’s natural right to citizenship by descent. It would make sense to send in the marriage certificate if the citizenship is granted only if Canadian father is married to mother as it was the case years ago (think war brides). That doesn’t apply anymore now.
I completed the citizenship certificate application for my 2 children and I never sent in the marriage certificate.

DKG

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks much, Screech339. That is so helpful!

Wow, what would I do without this thread? I hope you folks find some reward for your kind help! And hopefully I can pass on your blessings to another...

I think I'm confident now to proceed. If have more questions, I'll add them later. Thanks again!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
1. Yes, Fill in the wife's information. It is required regardless of nationality of other parent.
2. Yes, Say N/A
3. If you say NO to both 8 b) 1 and 2 then you leave grandparent info blank. It is required to be filled if you answered YES to 8 b) 1 or 2.
4. Only you as parent sign the application if any of the child is under 14 year of age. The child does not sign anything anywhere.
5. You do not need to send marriage certificate as marriage of parents has no bearing on the child's natural right to citizenship by descent. It would make sense to send in the marriage certificate if the citizenship is granted only if Canadian father is married to mother as it was the case years ago (think war brides). That doesn't apply anymore now.
I completed the citizenship certificate application for my 2 children and I never sent in the marriage certificate.
Sounds good to me. I did have to include my parents' marriage certificate, because I applied for a certificate before 2009 and I would have only inherited citizenship (through my father) if I was born "in wedlock." As Screech says, that doesn't apply anymore.

sahar habib

Dec 22, 2010
canuck_in_uk said:
If you have the child's citizenship certificate, then apply for the child's passport as normal. Limited validity passports are for those who have not yet received proof of citizenship.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng&region=international
I have applied for CC however not yet received but i have travel plan in next tow months so have to apply LVP , please guide the process from Pakistan

Mar 24, 2015
Hello everyone!

I am a Canadian citizen by birth and my husband and daughter are both British by birth - we all currently live in London, UK. I applied last month for my 3yo daughter's proof of citizenship and I appreciate that this can take between 8-12 months. We are planning to move back to Canada in three months and does anyone know if she can still travel to Canada on her British passport while the proof of citizenship is still being processed? Will customs expect her to have a return flight to Britain? Or is she recognized as a (pending?) Canadian citizen?

Thank you in advance for any advice! x

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SpidersfromMars said:
I am a Canadian citizen by birth and my husband and daughter are both British by birth - we all currently live in London, UK. I applied last month for my 3yo daughter's proof of citizenship and I appreciate that this can take between 8-12 months. We are planning to move back to Canada in three months and does anyone know if she can still travel to Canada on her British passport while the proof of citizenship is still being processed? Will customs expect her to have a return flight to Britain? Or is she recognized as a (pending?) Canadian citizen?
Hi

She can travel on her British passport and will not be expected to have a return ticket. I suggest carrying proof of the Citizenship Certificate app.

Just to make you aware, depending on the province you are moving to, you may have issues getting provincial health coverage for your child without any proof of Canadian citizenship.

fahid

Apr 22, 2015
I have a question, is it possible to send in both the proof of Citizenship app AND passport app (for lvp) at the same time to the consulate?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
fahid said:
I have a question, is it possible to send in both the proof of Citizenship app AND passport app (for lvp) at the same time to the consulate?
I don't believe you can. A passport requires a Canadian birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship certificate. If it is missing one of those, it will get rejected.

If you are doing this for your newborn, then you would have to apply for a temporary canadian travel document for your newborn as they do issue that if you have submitted application for certificate but need passport quickly for travel to Canada. I think this option is for those 2 years and under. Once the child passes the 2 year mark, the child have no choice but to get certificate first and then canada passport.

fahid

Apr 22, 2015
screech339 said:
I don't believe you can. A passport requires a Canadian birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship certificate. If it is missing one of those, it will get rejected.

If you are doing this for your newborn, then you would have to apply for a temporary canadian travel document for your newborn as they do issue that if you have submitted application for certificate but need passport quickly for travel to Canada. I think this option is for those 2 years and under. Once the child passes the 2 year mark, the child have no choice but to get certificate first and then canada passport.
This seems confusing, cause I thought there is a procedure for a Limited Validity Passport for under 2 yrs?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
fahid said:
This seems confusing, cause I thought there is a procedure for a Limited Validity Passport for under 2 yrs?
Yes that is what it is called. Wasn't sure what it was called.

fahid

Apr 22, 2015
I found this on the canada consulate for italy websites (passports for newborn)

When urgent travel requirements exist, or when a newborn must have a passport in order to obtain a legal residency status abroad, parents can apply concurrently for the child’s Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and for a passport, which will be limited in validity to the normal timeframe required to produce the child’s Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. This option is only available for children under 2 years of age.

I assume this could be for other consulates?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
fahid said:
I found this on the canada consulate for italy websites (passports for newborn)

When urgent travel requirements exist, or when a newborn must have a passport in order to obtain a legal residency status abroad, parents can apply concurrently for the child's Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and for a passport, which will be limited in validity to the normal timeframe required to produce the child's Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. This option is only available for children under 2 years of age.

I assume this could be for other consulates?
I would assume so. But the key word is urgent travel requirement. Meaning you need to show proof of moving to Canada in the immediate short term to be granted a limited passport for child. You can't simply apply for limited passport for child if there is no short term travel plans.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
fahid said:
Yes, you can submit both at the same time.

aman123

Dec 28, 2013
Hi everyone
I became Canadian citizen in 10 April 2015 . My husband live in Australia as a student. Next month I ll sponsor my husband . Now I am pregnant . My question is can I give birth to my child in Australia and can my new born get Canadian citizenship because I am Canadian citizen??? If new born can get then how many months it take to get Canadian citizenship??
My next question is I ll sponsor my husband and if I go to Australia , this ll effect my husband's sponsorship case or not????
Thnx and waiting for reply ..