Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
forcavisa said:
thanks steaky!
are you saying that all consulate has the same process time window?
Yes, according to this website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

JT1979

Jun 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010 - Mississauga
AOR Received.
06-05-2010 - App Approved
File Transfer...
17-05-2010 - Singapore
Med's Request
1st Meds done in Feb 2010 - 2nd - 10-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
24-05-2011
Passport Req..
28/06/2011 - Got Email with Doc ( POV - Promise of Visa Letter) - Passport with letter given to IOM on 28/06/2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2011
LANDED..........
Wife and Son Landed on Nov 22, 2011.
Quick Question(s)

1. my wife will be giving birth in september 2011.
2. i got all the forms for Proof of Citizenship and passport (limited validity passport)
3. what exact proof would i need to apply for the kids Proof of Citizenship and to get his LVP?
4. would i need to do a DNA test to proof the kid is ours?

reason i'm asking is i'm only going to be in vietnam for 3 months and wife is expecting baby around mid- SEPT. so which leaves no much room left, which we need to apply for his vietnamese birth cert, then his vietnamese passport. then take everything to the CHC. which i would need an answer for ( 3 ) and ( 4 ).

Thanks in Advance for any advice given.

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
I am corresponding with my local CDN embassy but am would like to post to this forum to ask of other opinions to better prepare myself.

My non-Canadian wife and I are expecting our 1st child this coming DEC.

I am born to Canadian citizens but abroad. I've never held any another citizenship and always had Canadian passports issued either under my mum's passport or my own.

Prior to receiving my Certificate of Canadian citizenship, I held a Proof of Canadian born Abroad - or similar - apologies i don't recall the exact wording.

extract from the citizenship section's FAQ's

"How do I find out if my child born outside Canada is a Canadian citizen?

If your child was born outside Canada after February 14, 1977, and you were a Canadian citizen when the child was born, your child is automatically a Canadian citizen.

Under the previous law, if you were also born in another country after February 14, 1977, to a Canadian parent your child may have needed to take steps to retain their citizenship before turning 28 years of age.

On April 17, 2009, the law changed to end the need to retain citizenship for many people. However, people born outside Canada who are subject to the retention rules and who turned 28 before the new law came into effect would have lost their citizenship if they did not take steps to retain it.

Also, if you were born outside Canada and your parent was a Canadian citizen when you were born, your child born in another country on or after April 17, 2009, will not be a Canadian citizen by birth, unless the child’s other parent:

was born in Canada; or
immigrated to Canada and was granted citizenship
Find out more about the new law and who is affected.

Find more information about proof of citizenship in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page."

Reading through the revised citizenship laws, it would appear that my child will not obtain Canadian nationality on birth due to my having been born abroad. a bit of a shock to be honest as for me, the new law seems to have watered down my citizenship considerably.

I'm hoping I am mistaken but would appreciate anyone's comments. it almost has me thinking of going to Canada to have the child delivered however that seems a bit of a desperate measure.

many thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Grumpy said:
Reading through the revised citizenship laws, it would appear that my child will not obtain Canadian nationality on birth due to my having been born abroad. a bit of a shock to be honest as for me, the new law seems to have watered down my citizenship considerably.
You are right. Your child is not eligible for Canadian citizenship. If you want to move to Canada, you may sponsor your child (and spouse) for PR. As a Canadian living abroad, you must show plans to move when they get their PR. After they get their PR, you can apply for citizenship for your child right away. Your spouse could apply after living in Canada as a PR for 3 years.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
please read the link I provided earlier. no need to take a dna test.

JT1979 said:
Quick Question(s)

1. my wife will be giving birth in september 2011.
2. i got all the forms for Proof of Citizenship and passport (limited validity passport)
3. what exact proof would i need to apply for the kids Proof of Citizenship and to get his LVP?
4. would i need to do a DNA test to proof the kid is ours?

reason i'm asking is i'm only going to be in vietnam for 3 months and wife is expecting baby around mid- SEPT. so which leaves no much room left, which we need to apply for his vietnamese birth cert, then his vietnamese passport. then take everything to the CHC. which i would need an answer for ( 3 ) and ( 4 ).

Thanks in Advance for any advice given.

bigludwig

Jul 14, 2011
This was probably already answered...

Background information: I am American and my wife is Canadian by birth. We have a 7 month old baby born in the United States. I have applied for my PR and we are hoping to move to Canada as soon as possible. I spoke with a representative about 5 months ago.

My questions are this:
What is the quickest possible way to obtain a Citizenship Certificate?
What is the quickest anybody on here has experienced?

The immigration website said it would take 10 months. It does not make sense that it would take that long. The Provincial government said we would need the certificate to get her a medical coverage card.

Thank you in advance for any answers

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bigludwig said:
This was probably already answered...

Background information: I am American and my wife is Canadian by birth. We have a 7 month old baby born in the United States. I have applied for my PR and we are hoping to move to Canada as soon as possible. I spoke with a representative about 5 months ago.

My questions are this:
What is the quickest possible way to obtain a Citizenship Certificate?
What is the quickest anybody on here has experienced?

The immigration website said it would take 10 months. It does not make sense that it would take that long. The Provincial government said we would need the certificate to get her a medical coverage card.

Thank you in advance for any answers
1. You apply for proof of citizenship for the child and then as the child is under 2 you can immediately apply for a limited validity passport.

JT1979

Jun 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010 - Mississauga
AOR Received.
06-05-2010 - App Approved
File Transfer...
17-05-2010 - Singapore
Med's Request
1st Meds done in Feb 2010 - 2nd - 10-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
24-05-2011
Passport Req..
28/06/2011 - Got Email with Doc ( POV - Promise of Visa Letter) - Passport with letter given to IOM on 28/06/2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2011
LANDED..........
Wife and Son Landed on Nov 22, 2011.
Thanks for the Reply Steaky,

but your previous posts were related to Hong Kong, does it matter if its in vietnam? also can you clarify how you are sure you do not need a DNA test, because that dang test could take up to 3 months. for other proof i got everything i need.

Thanks.

steaky said:
please read the link I provided earlier. no need to take a dna test.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JT1979 said:
Thanks for the Reply Steaky,

but your previous posts were related to Hong Kong, does it matter if its in vietnam? also can you clarify how you are sure you do not need a DNA test, because that dang test could take up to 3 months. for other proof i got everything i need.

Thanks.
If you want to make sure, you can always email your queries to the visa office.

gingin

Jul 27, 2011
thanks for your encouraging information. My child was born when I was canadian, and I only have DNA related document with the child. Can this document alone sufficient to apply her citizenship certificate ?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
PMM said:
Hi

1. You apply for proof of citizenship for the child and then as the child is under 2 you can immediately apply for a limited validity passport.
Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the prevailing wisdom was that the parents:

1. Should apply to their nearest embassy for "proof of citizenship", and then apply to Sydney for a citizenship card, which can take more than a year.

2. The citizenship card would be enough to get the child into Canada (without passport).

3. The parents should of course apply for the child's passport asap.

4. If the parents need to take the child into Canada before the citizenship card has arrived, and the child is under 2 years of age, they can apply for a limited validity passport (good for 2 years).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the prevailing wisdom was that the parents:

1. Should apply to their nearest embassy for "proof of citizenship", and then apply to Sydney for a citizenship card, which can take more than a year.

2. The citizenship card would be enough to get the child into Canada (without passport).

3. The parents should of course apply for the child's passport asap.

4. If the parents need to take the child into Canada before the citizenship card has arrived, and the child is under 2 years of age, they can apply for a limited validity passport (good for 2 years).
1. No a citizenship would not allow the child on the plane if s/he had a passport that required a TRV. A CC parent can apply for a limited validity passport for the child (under 2) if they have applied for proof of citizenship.
2. If you read the OP post, it is sort of vague, in that it appears that he is not married to the mother, and as he only talks of DNA proof, it is quite likely that his name doesn't appear on the birth certificate. I would think that if he had met those 2 items, he wouldn't have mentioned the DNA.
3. He also doesn't state whether he has custody of the child.
4. CHC is going to want to have their own DNA testing done in the approved lab, if the father is not married to the mother or isn't cohabiting with him, before they will process any proofs.

Gralgernon

Aug 8, 2011
My mother is a born Canadian citizen. I am 18 years old and I was born in the US. Do I qualify as a Canadian citizen?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gralgernon said:
My mother is a born Canadian citizen. I am 18 years old and I was born in the US. Do I qualify as a Canadian citizen?
Yes, you are a citizen. Contact the nearest Canadian embassy to apply for a citizenship card, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp for the application forms.

forcavisa

Jul 3, 2011
can anyone answer my questions?

1, I am sending citizenship application for my new born baby girl, in the signature page, "signature of applicant" and "signature of parent", do i sign in both boxes or leave the "signature of applicant" blank?
2, I have official birth certificate and also marriage certificate from Notary office, but when I read guideline, Do I have to provide Certified Copy of my ID, such as my passport, citizenship card, driver's license? or I just photocopies IDs and send them to consulate.
3, about Name Change, since my baby was born in China, and it is Chinese name on the certificate, if i want to change her name into English name on the "citizenship certificate", can I just change her name on the application form, "3B, request for a different name..." ? I read the guideline, which requires a bunch of documents that i don't have.
4, Since my baby is in China and I work in Canada/US, just want to make sure I am still suppose to mail application to Beijing consulate, not in Canada, correct?

Thank you very much!!