+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside of Canada to a Canadian Resident (Citizenship ceremony cancelled due to strikes!)

MissJustice

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
BC
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
16-05-2017
Nomination.....
05-2017
AOR Received.
08-2017
Med's Request
01-04-2018
Med's Done....
01-05-2018
Passport Req..
05-02-2019
Hi guys,
My citizenship ceremony got cancelled due to strikes and my daughter is due on June 1.
Does that mean she will never be able to become Canadian citizen because I will become Canadian citizen after she is born?

Is there no way around it?
I am curious if its worth getting a lawyer to argue this in the future since this is due the strike action, no fault of my own.

Anyone is the same boat?

Thanks

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
I am outside and my kid born on Apr/18, my oath was scheduled for Apr/25 and got cancelled. Not sure on the process for my kid. Your scenario is little different than mine, but please keep me posted how it goes.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can sponsor your dependent child and when the child arrives in Canada as a PR, apply immediately for the child's citizenship - they do not have to fulfill the three year residency requirement.

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
You can sponsor your dependent child and when the child arrives in Canada as a PR, apply immediately for the child's citizenship - they do not have to fulfill the three year residency requirement.
Thanks much for your response, May I know if I can apply for my kid’s PR when I am outside Canada ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks much for your response, May I know if I can apply for my kid’s PR when I am outside Canada ?
If/when you are a citizen, yes. You will need to show intent to return to Canada. The kid will actually need to land in Canada, and I believe apply for citizenship when in Canada. I do not know if/how strictly they follow whether the child is resident in Canada during the process. From limited experience / following some other posts, minor children/children of citizen files seem to take 4-8 months - and obviously there's no language or other testing, no biometrics for children under age 14 (? I think).

Reactions: senhari2005

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
If/when you are a citizen, yes. You will need to show intent to return to Canada. The kid will actually need to land in Canada, and I believe apply for citizenship when in Canada. I do not know if/how strictly they follow whether the child is resident in Canada during the process. From limited experience / following some other posts, minor children/children of citizen files seem to take 4-8 months - and obviously there's no language or other testing, no biometrics for children under age 14 (? I think).
Thanks much , will investigate my options. I am waiting for my oath to be rescheduled.

Reactions: armoured

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
A question.....I understand that you can apply for PR from outside of Canada and as you stated need to show intent to return to Canada, however the usual timeframe to apply for PR takes absolutely forever so I'm curious that would your child also have to wait for instance 12, 18 or however many months it takes or would that PR process be sped up given that the parents are Canadian Citizens and want to bring the child back home to Canada?

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A question.....I understand that you can apply for PR from outside of Canada and as you stated need to show intent to return to Canada, however the usual timeframe to apply for PR takes absolutely forever so I'm curious that would your child also have to wait for instance 12, 18 or however many months it takes or would that PR process be sped up given that the parents are Canadian Citizens and want to bring the child back home to Canada?

Thanks
You can check the family sponsorship forum here. Short form is that dependent children sponsorships usually take somewhat less time than spousal cases - but i don't follow closely enough to say how much time it takes.

Just as importantly - parents can apply for visas (TRV) for children and my understanding is that many (most?) of them receive them. Then they can just enter with the children. There are some issues with this like health insurance (private advised). Where both parents truly are living in Canada, TRVs tend to get approved for the kids - but this may just be impression, which is all I can go by.