+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside Canada

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
Hello,

I was born in Canada but working for a few years in France. Here I met my girlfriend (from Finland) and we had a baby which was born in Finland. We plan to all move to Canada (Quebec) in a few years.

What should be the next steps please?

1) Request a citizenship certificate for me (I only have my Canadian passport). Apparently I need that citizenship certificate number to fill the CIT 0001 form for my daughter
2) Request a citizenship certificate for my daughter, CIT 0001 form? (I feel CIT 0003 does not apply)
3) Move to Canada and sponsor my girlfriend for a few years until she can get a citizenship?

Am I missing something?

Many many thanks

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Your daughter is by birth Canadian citizen as you were born in Canada.

Your girlfriend needs to apply for permanent residency with you as her sponsor.

I had the same situation: husband born in Canada. We met in London, UK. I am German. We have three kids born in the UK. He applied for their Canadian passports at the embassy in London. Yes he needed his birth certificate to prove that he was born in Canada as only the first generation Canadians, born in Canada can pass on automatic citizenship to their kids. Kids got Canadian passport while living in the UK.

I applied for permanent residency in Canada at the embassy in London.

Be aware: the application to emigrate to Canada took exactly six months and it is a lot of paperwork.

Satchboogies

Oct 12, 2014
Your daughter is by birth Canadian citizen as you were born in Canada.

I had the same situation: husband born in Canada. We met in London, UK. I am German. We have three kids born in the UK. He applied for their Canadian passports at the embassy in London. Yes he needed his birth certificate to prove that he was born in Canada as only the first generation Canadians, born in Canada can pass on automatic citizenship to their kids. Kids got Canadian passport while living in the UK.
If I understand http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=365&top=5 correctly, even a naturalized Canadian citizen can pass on the citizenship to a child born outside Canada. The above statement that only a person born in Canada can pass on citizenship to a child born outside Canada is incorrect. Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hello,

I was born in Canada but working for a few years in France. Here I met my girlfriend (from Finland) and we had a baby which was born in Finland. We plan to all move to Canada (Quebec) in a few years.

1) Request a citizenship certificate for me (I only have my Canadian passport). Apparently I need that citizenship certificate number to fill the CIT 0001 form for my daughter
2) Request a citizenship certificate for my daughter, CIT 0001 form? (I feel CIT 0003 does not apply)
3) Move to Canada and sponsor my girlfriend for a few years until she can get a citizenship?

Am I missing something?

Many many thanks
1) You probably don't need the citizenship certificate. You need proof of your citizenship, which in your case would be your provincial or territorial birth certificate. I think you're under scenario 3 in the checklist, at a quick glance, so you'd have to provide a birth certificate for your baby that lists the parents, and one for you to show you're a Canadian citizen (if you had been a naturalized Canadian citizen you would need to provide a copy of your citizenship certificate, but as you were born in Canada your birth certificate is sufficient). You should be able to request a birth certificate from your province of birth by mail.

The "citizenship certificate" they ask for "if applicable" is for people who are asking for a replacement certificate, so they need to send back their previous copy, as you're not allowed to have multiple citizenship certificates.

2) Yes, and then a passport for her to travel to Canada (it is mandatory for dual citizens to use their Canadian passport when travelling to Canada).

3) You can apply for PR status for your girlfriend before you move back; you just have to commit that when you move you'll do so at the same time. (you don't need to sponsor your kid, because they're a citizen).

Note that once the application has been approved there's a limited time to enter Canada to formally be granted PR status, so keep that in mind about deciding when to apply. But also be aware that processing can take a while (IRCC says it takes 12 months to process 80% of all applications).

As you'd be intending to reside in Quebec you would have one more hoop to jump through, as Quebec needs to issue a CSQ for the person you're sponsoring. It's explained in the instruction guide in what way and when that happens, but it is a bit of extra effort and cost.

There is a residency obligation to maintain PR status, but living abroad with a Canadian partner counts as meeting that obligation. So it is possible to apply before you're ready to move, as long as she can do the landing within the limited time she'll be given to formally become a PR.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
If I understand http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=365&top=5 correctly, even a naturalized Canadian citizen can pass on the citizenship to a child born outside Canada. The above statement that only a person born in Canada can pass on citizenship to a child born outside Canada is incorrect. Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.
There are three scenarios in play, and the statement is correct, but only for the two scenarios that deal with people who inherited their Canadian citizenship.

A Canadian who was born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent cannot pass Canadian citizenship on to their children, if those children are born outside of Canada.

Someone who was born outside of Canada and became a naturalized Canadian citizen can pass Canadian citizenship on to their children, even if those children are born outside of Canada.

A Canadian who was born in Canada can pass Canadian citizenship on to their children, even if those children are born outside of Canada.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Am I missing something?

Many many thanks
1) As others have written, you do not need a citizenship certificate. Your birth certificate is your proof of Canadian citizenship.

2) Yes, apply for a citizenship certificate for your daughter. You will need to send your birth certificate and hers. Take them with you to the Canadian consulate in France so that certified copies can be made.

3) Apply to sponsor your girlfriend for permanent residence before you move. To figure out how far in advance to apply, check here for average processing times: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-processing-times.html

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
There are three scenarios in play, and the statement is correct, but only for the two scenarios that deal with people who inherited their Canadian citizenship.

A Canadian who was born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent cannot pass Canadian citizenship on to their children, if those children are born outside of Canada.

Someone who was born outside of Canada and became a naturalized Canadian citizen can pass Canadian citizenship on to their children, even if those children are born outside of Canada.

A Canadian who was born in Canada can pass Canadian citizenship on to their children, even if those children are born outside of Canada.
Yes, I forgot to say, we were told that my kids who were born outside of Canada to a Canadian father, need to have their own kids in Canada for them to become automatically Canadians.

In other words: your daughter’s children need to be born in Canada to be automatically Canadians.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Yes, I forgot to say, we were told that my kids who were born outside of Canada to a Canadian father, need to have their own kids in Canada for them to become automatically Canadians.

In other words: your daughter’s children need to be born in Canada to be automatically Canadians.
Not unless the daughter married a Canadian born / naturalized Canadian spouse and has children with him. The children will become Canadian through the Canadian father, regardless of where the children are born.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Not unless the daughter married a Canadian born / naturalized Canadian spouse and has children with him. The children will become Canadian through the Canadian father, regardless of where the children are born.
Obviously...as this repeats the circle...I married a Canadian born and therefore my kids are Canadians.

ARIONI Ca

Jan 26, 2019
I ask for help I have 3 children 2 children I was born in Canada and a child in kosovo The reason for the birth outside Canada is that they did not allow me to travel by plane because I was in the last month of pregnancy yes Now I apply for Canadian Citizenship Baby Please make a good answer and I am a Canadian citizen!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12