+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Born in the US for PR Parents

Mancilla

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2012
One of my friend, in the US is asking the following, please let me know your valuable answers:

Dear Members,

My wife is pregnant and she in USA.We got our PR in August 2011 and still working in USA and will be here till end of 2012.Now my question is:

1. A child born in US, will it get the same benefits in CANADA as their parents?

2. Do we have to file PR card application for our child before we enter to canada?

3. Are the health benefits for the child covered as well?

4. Will the child be able to avail all the educational benefits?

5. Can we apply for our child citizenship with us when we finished our five year term in CANADA?

Thank you for all your help.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. A child born in US, will it get the same benefits in CANADA as their parents?
Yes your child will also become a PR when he/she is sponsored as dependent child

2. Do we have to file PR card application for our child before we enter to canada?
Either one of you ( father or mother) should be in Canada to sponsor the child. But so far you have not landed in Canada after your PR, the principal applicant must enter first or together with other accompanying family members. But your new born baby, after getting his US birth certificate / US passport also can accompany without a visitor visa being US citizen.As a U.S. Citizen your son can stay in Canada without a visa for 6 months. Ask for an extended visitor record at the POE. That could allow the child to be in Canada on visitor status for a longer period. Everything depends to the officer at the POE.

3. Are the health benefits for the child covered as well?
The child will get the health coverage as per the respective provincial rules

4. Will the child be able to avail all the educational benefits?
If you start the sponsorship application as soon as landed, it could take approximately One year for the baby to her PR. So the child should get all the benefits.