+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born in the United States to parents who hold PR.

fang21

Apr 17, 2019
Hi all,

I have a question regarding moving to Canada with a new born baby who is born in United States.
A little background - We are done with our landing last year. However, before we can move to Canada from the United States, I found out we are having a baby and due to medical conditions, was unable to travel during pregnancy. Both my husband and I are currently planning to move to Canada along with our new born child.
I guess my question is can we move to Canada along with our child and then apply for PR for the child? I was thinking applying for a TRV for my baby and sponsor the baby after we come to Canada. We currently don't have any jobs in Canada . What is the process for sponsoring our baby?

Editing to add, my child has a US passport.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Fang

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
With a US passport, your baby does not need any visa to enter Canada as a visitor.

Depending on which province that you plan to settle in, you will need to do some research on healthcare coverage (you may need to get travel medical insurance for him)

You can apply for PR for the child after one or both of you moved back to Canada.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes. You can move to Canada and apply for PR for Child. There is no other way. Entire process will take 8-12 months and you can apply for PR as soon as you establish permanent residence in Canada.

Your child will enter as a visitor on US passport and few days before 6 months mark you can apply for his/her visitor visa extension.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not quite sure I buy the medical need to stay in the US. Very few conditions that would not allow you to at least drive to Canada. Not sure why people don't admit they wanted the US passport for their child in addition to the Canadian passport. Collecting multiple passports for your child seems to be the new status symbol especially in a few select countries.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Not quite sure I buy the medical need to stay in the US. Very few conditions that would not allow you to at least drive to Canada. Not sure why people don't admit they wanted the US passport for their child in addition to the Canadian passport. Collecting multiple passports for your child seems to be the new status symbol especially in a few select countries.
Either Canadian tax payers paying it or American tax payers paying it, I prefer the latter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Either Canadian tax payers paying it or American tax payers paying it, I prefer the latter.
Actually for the weathly most do cover their own costs no matter how high and stay in some very fancy accomodations. Very popular in greater NYC, Miami area and southern California for lots of Russian, Chinese and Brazilian. Yes would prefer birth tourism stick to the US even if people cover your costs. Like in Canada some women plan for no complications or unerestimate the costs of birth tourism. Sure the hospital in Richmond is desperate to get the situation under control so they at least have the staffing to accomodate pregnant PR, citizens, international students or work permit holders who live in the area.

fang21

Apr 17, 2019
Yes. You can move to Canada and apply for PR for Child. There is no other way. Entire process will take 8-12 months and you can apply for PR as soon as you establish permanent residence in Canada.

Your child will enter as a visitor on US passport and few days before 6 months mark you can apply for his/her visitor visa extension.
Thanks for the reply ! So I am assuming, when we enter Canada, visitor visa would be stamped on to the child's passport at the point of entry? Because I am kinda confused when you say before six months mark we can apply for visitor visa extension.

fang21

Apr 17, 2019
With a US passport, your baby does not need any visa to enter Canada as a visitor.

Depending on which province that you plan to settle in, you will need to do some research on healthcare coverage (you may need to get travel medical insurance for him)

You can apply for PR for the child after one or both of you moved back to Canada.
Gotcha, thanks !

fang21

Apr 17, 2019
All I am going to say is don't judge me. You don't know me nor the situation I am in. If you have any information that would help answer my question I would be grateful else please move on.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply ! So I am assuming, when we enter Canada, visitor visa would be stamped on to the child's passport at the point of entry? Because I am kinda confused when you say before six months mark we can apply for visitor visa extension.
No passports usually aren’t stamped. 6 month stay unless otherwise indicated and you should apply online to extend visitor status before the 6 month is up. You will have to pay for emergency medical care until coverage and pay for any other care out of pocket for around a year in most province. PR or AIP approval plus up to 6 months.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
No stamping would be done on US passport of your child. Please keep track of time and apply for child's visa extension just a week before 6 months mark.