+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cheapest taxi ride from Toronto airport to North York . . .

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear

Ive heard taxis at toronto airport are a rip off and uber is not allowed there -- so whats the cheapest way to get from airport to north york, we are family with kids and luggage, so will need bigger car.

Is there any private service we can book ?

Thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I don't know who told you that but taxis and limo service from the airport is not a rip-off. They have flat fees by destination area that you can inquire about before getting on. I use a limo from Pearson to downtown (without pre-booking) every time I come back and even to downtown toronto that's just $55 plus tip.

What is a rip off are all these people standing at arrivals that talk to you and offer taxi services to you. Just ignore them. Instead, follow the signs to limo/taxi and wait where there is a sign that tells you to wait (note: you usually wait 30 seconds).

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It can cost you just $3 each if you take the subway...

Take the 192 Airport Bus to Kipling Subway station and then just take the subway across and up to get to North York..

https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/interactive_map/interactive_map.jsp#

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jamesdavid3 said:
It can cost you just $3 each if you take the subway...

Take the 192 Airport Bus to Kipling Subway station and then just take the subway across and up to get to North York..

https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/interactive_map/interactive_map.jsp#
That could be a disaster with kids and luggage. Would need to take bus to Kipling, transfer to Bloor subway line, transfer again to Yonge or University subway line going north, and finally a possible last transfer to bus to get to final destination, then maybe a good walk to home from bus stop.

Most people traveling with family would gladly pay an extra $50 to get door to door delivery with an airport taxi/limo.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Based on comparisons I would say North York would be about $55 too. I found an online thing that doesn't match up with prices but it's apparently cheaper to go to 5000 Yonge vs Yonge/Bloor (where I paid about $60 inc. generous tip). Either way flat rate limos are the way to go if you can afford it. I wouldn't bother booking, because you have to then find that person, the limo area will easily find a large car to fit you all.

I know people who have used Uber with the airport. The challenge is they aren't allowed into the private areas, they'd have to go through the generic areas and be picked up like people picking up friend and family.
I'd also say be careful with Uber, I know people who paid more for Uber than a standard taxi.

TTC is $3.25 a pop at the moment with cash, I'm not aware of being able to get tokens at the airport. Just mentioning this because if you DO want to do that you need $3.25 x people in change. Or you'll be overpaying as TTC drivers do not carry change.

On the TTC the bus and onto line 2 is fairly easy (once you find the bus stop, I'm pretty sure it's the lowest level but I'm always on auto-pilot), the trek changing at Yonge would be a nightmare especially if you don't know the system. St. George is far far better as you just walk up the stairs. But that only helps if you're going up to Downsview which to my mind isn't really North York compared to say... Finch.

And just to mention it ... The Union Pearson express gets you into Union station from where you could choose if you go up to Downsview or North Finch, I would personally not recommend this because aside from probably not saving much money Union station is a complete maze.

Kraretto

Apr 6, 2016
IMO, why dont you rent a car or a van? I think it is the best way if you have so many stuffs (include your kids :D ) Also, you have it with you at least one day and you can go shopping.

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
True

renting a car is good idea, but ill be in a new place and will need map and directions and stuff -- after long flight wont be able to drive properly, i guess

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarimraza said:
True

renting a car is good idea, but ill be in a new place and will need map and directions and stuff -- after long flight wont be able to drive properly, i guess

Thanks
You can ask for a GPS! With GPS, you will see the map and direction.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarimraza said:
Dear

Ive heard taxis at toronto airport are a rip off and uber is not allowed there -- so whats the cheapest way to get from airport to north york, we are family with kids and luggage, so will need bigger car.

Thanks
uber works here, my friend does uber in his mercedez benz :D . but it might not be the best idea since u will have lugguage and kids. It might not fit in 1 taxi/car.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
I'd suggest you use the limo service as some posters have advised. You're dropped off, you relax...
Personally, I intentionally booked a hotel near the airport for 1 night. I made sure my choice offered complimentary airport pick-up. Slept well, next day, Uber dropped us off at place of temporary accommodation.

Of course, it all depends on your budget and preferences, but I know, traveling with kids is a challenge...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on how much stuff you have you may need to get 2 cars. Public transportation is not an option with lots of luggage and kids. Where ever you are staying may not be on a TTC route. Depending where you are going and when, Uber could actually cost more if it was actually an option.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Dear

Thanks
Download the Lyft app. There are always promo codes, and you actually get the one of same large SUV's used as Limo taxis for $10-$15 less than what they usually charge.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Download the Lyft app. There are always promo codes, and you actually get the one of same large SUV's used as Limo taxis for $10-$15 less than what they usually charge.
whatever the equivalent to Uber Black will likely be more expensive than an airport limo. Think in general the OP is going to have to get used the fact that there may not be a cheapest option to many things in Canada especially in the larger cities. I have taken the TTC to Pearson but it only makes sense at very specific times. Definitely not with a family, lots of luggage, after very long flight and not right on the subway line.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
whatever the equivalent to Uber Black will likely be more expensive than an airport limo. Think in general the OP is going to have to get used the fact that there may not be a cheapest option to many things in Canada especially in the larger cities. I have taken the TTC to Pearson but it only makes sense at very specific times. Definitely not with a family, lots of luggage, after very long flight and not right on the subway line.
I did it last week and it was $50 vs. $65 for an airport limo. And the SUV was actually an airport limo car, with the driver driving for Lyft on the side.