+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chat Logs, Letters, and Applying inside Canada

galpinj

May 11, 2016
Hi everyone!

First time poster, long time lurker!

I spent a lot of time shifting through the forum, but couldn't find an answer to these two questions.

I've seen that a lot of people provide chat logs and letters (this was also recommended on the sticky). My question is, does everyone provide this information in response to question 5 of the Spouse/Common-law Questionnaire? (i.e: 5. Are you in a common-law relationship, i.e. have you and your sponsor lived together in a conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year? Provide written and documentary evidence of your relationship, e.g., joint insurance policies, wills,....) They don't mention anything about letters, chat-logs, etc., but this seems like the only place for people to provide all that extra information. Is this also where I and my girlfriend could provide personal letters explaining our relationship and what it means to us?

My second question is regarding the application inside Canada. We both live in Canada and have completed the application for those living in the country; however, I have heard that handing the application in over-seas can be considerably faster (she is from China and we'd like to apply there). Would we have to use the other application to do this? Would you recommend we apply outside Canada?

Thank you everyone! We really appreciate your help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
galpinj said:
I've seen that a lot of people provide chat logs and letters (this was also recommended on the sticky). My question is, does everyone provide this information in response to question 5 of the Spouse/Common-law Questionnaire?

Is this also where I and my girlfriend could provide personal letters explaining our relationship and what it means to us?

My second question is regarding the application inside Canada. We both live in Canada and have completed the application for those living in the country; however, I have heard that handing the application in over-seas can be considerably faster (she is from China and we'd like to apply there). Would we have to use the other application to do this? Would you recommend we apply outside Canada?
Hi

No, most people don't provide that stuff. Communication proofs are really just needed for long-distance couples. If you live together, there is no need to submit any of that.

Most people cover this in the "relationship development" question. If you want to write letters, it doesn't really matter where you include them.

Yes, applying outland through Hong Kong will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than applying inland and is definitely recommended. You need to complete the outland application package http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp. Note that the outland application is still mailed to Mississauga.

htquach

Feb 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 4, 2016
AOR Received.
March 11, 2016; AOR2: April 1, 2016
File Transfer...
March 22, 2016
Med's Done....
January 10, 2016
Interview........
Queued: August 25, 2016 - Interview: October 18, 2016
Passport Req..
November 22, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
Touchdown... YEG!!! December 26, 2016
For your first question, I attached our chat logs, Facetime call history, e-mails, pictures, etc. with the sponsored spouse/partner questionnaire to support our responses to the questions (i.e. Q1, Q6, Q9, Q14, Q15, etc.). Not sure if this is the "correct" approach, but application is moving along slowly.

Afraid I can't provide any guidance for your second question.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
There is this statement on both the inland and the outland forms: 'On a separate sheet of paper provide any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing.' (Outland: IMM 5540 Sponsor Questionnaire; IMM 5490 Sponsored Spouse Partner Questionnaire. Inland: question 12 of IMM 5285 Spouse Common-Law Questionnaire.)

This is where you can write a letter describing your relationship, or explaining anything that you think the visa officer might have questions about. This is where you can also include evidence such as chat logs, letters, email log, etc. that you have not included elsewhere.

I would also suggest you consider applying outland. Your partner can be visiting in Canada and still apply outland.

galpinj

May 11, 2016
Thank you everyone!

Yes I've heard that it's faster to apply outland. Do you think that it would be more difficult to get accepted if we applied outland, even though my girlfriend has a work permit and lives here in Canada?

Question 12 does look like the perfect place for this extra information. Did most people attach their evidence to each question, or just answer all the questions and then provide a separate collection of evidence that includes everything (wills, stat. declarations, notes, letters, etc.)?

galpinj

May 11, 2016
Also, it seems a little strange that we would apply outside of Canada, given what is asked on the CIC website:
"If your spouse or partner lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-Law Partner. Note: if a child of your spouse or partner is also living with you in Canada, they may be included on the application if they meet the definition of dependent child.

OR,
If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class.

If we approve you as a sponsor, the CPC will send your family member’s application to a Canadian visa office to be processed."

She has lived here in Canada for over 2 years, so it seems strange to apply for outland. Are we even allowed to do that?

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Yes, you are allowed to apply Outland even if you are IN Canada. She can put her Canadian address on the forms, it's fine. The only requirement is that she will need to show them proof that she is in Canada legally. (work permit, visa, etc.)

Just make sure you use the OUTLAND forms, not the Inland ones. They are different.

galpinj

May 11, 2016
Thanks Kayaker,

I'm assuming I should use the forms found on the link provided by Canuck up above?

Looks like I have to redo the whole application :mad:

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
Kayaker said:
The only requirement is that she will need to show them proof that she is in Canada legally. (work permit, visa, etc.)
Would you know where that requirement is stated?

Vjreal

Mar 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone! i am currently in Canada visiting my boyfriend. I am from the philippines..I am currently holding a visitor visa..My boyfriend is a Permanent resident in Canada. We will be getting married here in Saskatchewan this coming june..should we apply for inland or outland application? Thank you..

Lets say if i will apply outland and i will stay in Canada with him..should i still apply a visa extension after 6 months of stay?

Thanks

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
It's not stated because there is no such requirement.
It doesn't seem to be stated, but generally people here say you must extend your visitor status (if you are in Canada as a visitor) or extend your work permit/study permit (or change it to visitor status when said permit expires) if you are applying Outland.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cic-says-my-spouse-must-reenter-canada-from-usa-t410545.0.html
The OP here seems to be an American who stayed longer than 6 months and the OP was told to provide proof that they have status, or go to the US and come back so that they are in status again.

Also on your background declaration you have to write where you have been living for the past 10 years (or was it since the age of 18?) and there's a column where you have to write what was your status in that country; whether you were visiting or had a student visa or whatever. Obviously you don't want to lie on that form, and CIC would check your status in Canada anyway, regardless of what you write on the form. Once they find out you're out of status, there's a chance you will be told to leave. Not something a PR applicant wants to happen, I'm sure...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Kayaker said:
It doesn't seem to be stated, but generally people here say you must extend your visitor status (if you are in Canada as a visitor) or extend your work permit/study permit (or change it to visitor status when said permit expires) if you are applying Outland.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cic-says-my-spouse-must-reenter-canada-from-usa-t410545.0.html
The OP here seems to be an American who stayed longer than 6 months and the OP was told to provide proof that they have status, or go to the US and come back so that they are in status again.
Yes, it is always best to maintain status and that is the advice given.

However, there have been many applicants without status who have had no issues applying outland and remained here the entire time. In fact, the case you referred to is the only one that we've seen on the forum where it's been an issue. I think it was simply an overzealous officer, while some think CIC is now cracking down and requiring status. No one knows for sure right now.

zgembo

May 31, 2016
Hello everybody, just a quick question.....do I need to print out all our Skype conversations, email, etc? It would take more than 1000 pages for all that information. Is it ok to put all of those info on USB stick and sent it like that? Thanks

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
No, you can't send it on a USB stick - it has to be on paper. I think they are afraid of people sending viruses that could compromise their system.

We had thousands of pages of skype records as well. We basically went through and selected a few conversations from each month as evidence and explained that it would be a huge waste of paper to print them all, but we could provide more if needed. It took quite a while to cut our conversations down to about 25 pages or so (half a page per month), but we got it done eventually. So far, no issues whatsoever. We haven't finished the process yet but we past first stage approval without them requesting more evidence or asking for an interview, so I think we are fine on that front.