+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing the study program after getting Visa

jaspriet

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
hi
I am a BBA Graduate and I will apply for PG course in Centennial college (Global Business Management ) From India then after getting visa I want to change My course to Under graduate diploma in Business of Cambrian Hanson international Academy Toronto.

So my Question is if I change my course from Post graduate level to Lower under graduate level then would It cause any problem related to Work Permit or PR.

According to .cic.gc.ca

Post-secondary student

You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.

If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor’s to master’s), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.

So I believe if they allow to change the level of study then there should be no problem

Please give your comments........

tiger007

Champion Member
jaspriet said:
hi
I am a BBA Graduate and I will apply for PG course in Centennial college (Global Business Management ) From India then after getting visa I want to change My course to Under graduate diploma in Business of Cambrian Hanson international Academy Toronto.

So my Question is if I change my course from Post graduate level to Lower under graduate level then would It cause any problem related to Work Permit or PR.

According to .cic.gc.ca

Post-secondary student

You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.

If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.

So I believe if they allow to change the level of study then there should be no problem

Please give your comments........
Hi,

Absolutely NO problem. Changing course/educational institute has nothing to do with OCWP/CO-OP WP/PGWP or immigration/PR. As per current CIC laws, it's totally within the legal rights of the international students to be able to change educational institute/course. Student work permits and PR are different things... and both have their own set of rules, where the international student after fulfilling the eligibility criteria, become eligible to apply for specific student work permits or PR under one of various student immigration programs.

If there is any confusion, or environment of doubt/fear among international students, regarding changing of course/college in Canada, then it's only because of the Study abroad consultancies.. who give this false idea or even wrongly suggest against changing of course/college, simply because they will not receive that lump-sum commission from the educational institute... in-case the student leaves the college/university affiliated with that particular consultancy. Nothing else.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

over9000

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Absolutely NO problem. Changing course/educational institute has nothing to do with OCWP/CO-OP WP/PGWP or immigration/PR. As per current CIC laws, it's totally within the legal rights of the international students to be able to change educational institute/course. Student work permits and PR are different things... and both have their own set of rules, where the international student after fulfilling the eligibility criteria, become eligible to apply for specific student work permits or PR under one of various student immigration programs.

If there is any confusion, or environment of doubt/fear among international students, regarding changing of course/college in Canada, then it's only because of the Study abroad consultancies.. who give this false idea or even wrongly suggest against changing of course/college, simply because they will not receive that lump-sum commission from the educational institute... in-case the student leaves the college/university affiliated with that particular consultancy. Nothing else.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

This is exactly what a consultant told me.. I even showed him the CIC's website and even after that he said " Likhne se kia hota hai" LOL... I was like wtf you talking about.

teh123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
over9000 said:
This is exactly what a consultant told me.. I even showed him the CIC's website and even after that he said " Likhne se kia hota hai" LOL... I was like wtf you talking about.
second that, most "consultants" seldom give the right advice, i guess its up-to us in terms of researching and gathering correct details,rather than completely depending on them

jaspriet

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

thank you tiger that means I can change my course to lower level with no further complications

tiger007

Champion Member
jaspriet said:
that means I can change my course to lower level with no further complications
Hi,

Yes. But, make sure you have secured admission in the new course of your choice, because usually it is required, that you show the offer letter of new course/college, to Centennial college and then apply for withdrawal from GBM course, before the deadline. While most of other colleges charge cancellation fees of 500$, including Humber college... (rest of tuition fees is in most cases, directly transferred to the new institution), Centennial college on the other hand charges a massive 500$ (non-refundable tuition fee) +615$ (withdraw application fee) = 1,115$ as total cancellation fees.
(http://www.centennialcollege.ca/international/withdraw).

adi9771

Aug 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
14-02-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-03-2013.
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2013.
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Yes. But, make sure you have secured admission in the new course of your choice, because usually it is required, that you show the offer letter of new course/college, to Centennial college and then apply for withdrawal from GBM course, before the deadline. While most of other colleges charge cancellation fees of 500$, including Humber college... (rest of tuition fees is in most cases, directly transferred to the new institution), Centennial college on the other hand charges a massive 500$ (non-refundable tuition fee) +615$ (withdraw application fee) = 1,115$ as total cancellation fees.

what if we change our college in different semesters because i have been accepted to humber for may intake and SAIT for september intake. can i withdraw my course from humber and change it to SAIT from september. I want to do that because the course which I choose was not available for may intake. so did govt. will ask me why I have taken 4 months of gap? should I do some course of 4 months to fulfill my 4 months gap? or is it fine. ? will there be any problem in future regarding extension or anything else. ?

sandhuboy

Aug 26, 2012
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
CHANDIGARH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2013
Doc's Request.
16-04-2013
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08/05/2013
LANDED..........
wahaguru manu v DATE pan da moka da..
tiger007 said:
Hi,

bro can u tell me about withdraw system of u of regina.

jaspriet

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Thanks for telling me about non refundable charges I wasn't aware about that.

tiger007

Champion Member
adi9771 said:
what if we change our college in different semesters because i have been accepted to humber for may intake and SAIT for september intake. can i withdraw my course from humber and change it to SAIT from september. I want to do that because the course which I choose was not available for may intake. so did govt. will ask me why I have taken 4 months of gap? should I do some course of 4 months to fulfill my 4 months gap? or is it fine. ? will there be any problem in future regarding extension or anything else. ?

Hi,

Yes you can either go and immediately cancel admission at Humber, get refund (500$ will be deducted) by showing SIAST offer letter... or leave Humber college after studying 1 sem there, and then join SIAST in Sask., No problem.. BUT then, you will NOT get refund of your 1st sem fees. Full waste of $$$s. That's it. Or else no problem. It's your full legal right to change course/college in Canada, while being on a study permit. You will need to show the SIAST offer letter and withdraw from Humber formally. Later when you shift to SIAST... and at the end of your program if the current study permit (issued since May) is about to expire, just make sure to extend the study permit , before it expires. Or else it will be a problem, as you will then be a student illegally studying without a valid study permit. (you can apply for extension of the study permit, maximum 3 months before expiry).

However, it is being proposed, that from Jan 2014, international students in Canada must maintain a full time student status while being on the study permit and if that rule is enacted, then you or any one cannot sit idle.. like if you withdraw from Humber now..and do nothing till Sept.. that will not be possible then. As of Now.. No problem.

Hope it's clear.

adi9771

Aug 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
14-02-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-03-2013.
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2013.
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Yes you can either go and immediately cancel admission at Humber, get refund (500$ will be deducted) by showing SIAST offer letter... or leave Humber college after studying 1 sem there, and then join SIAST in Sask., No problem.. BUT then, you will NOT get refund of your 1st sem fees. Full waste of $$$s. That's it. Or else no problem. It's your full legal right to change course/college in Canada, while being on a study permit. You will need to show the SIAST offer letter and withdraw from Humber formally. Later when you shift to SIAST... and at the end of your program if the current study permit (issued since May) is about to expire, just make sure to extend the study permit , before it expires. Or else it will be a problem, as you will then be a student illegally studying without a valid study permit. (you can apply for extension of the study permit, maximum 3 months before expiry).

However, it is being proposed, that from Jan 2014, international students in Canada must maintain a full time student status while being on the study permit and if that rule is enacted, then you or any one cannot sit idle.. like if you withdraw from Humber now..and do nothing till Sept.. that will not be possible then. As of Now.. No problem.

Hope it's clear.

But at the time of extension do they need any result or transcripts of last two sems... or anything else.?
may I know on what criteria will they extend my study permit??

tiger007

Champion Member
adi9771 said:
But at the time of extension do they need any result or transcripts of last two sems... or anything else.?
may I know on what cateria will they extend my study permit??

Hi,

While applying for extension of study permit, you must submit the "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]" along with follwing dcuments as listed on the checklist: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5555E.pdf

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-student.asp

The CIC will extend your study permit, if legally, you are an international student studying on a valid study permit, your course is clearly longer in duration than the validity of your current study permit and you submit the application and all documents correctly, according to the checklist.

Hope it's clear.

sandhuboy

Aug 26, 2012
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
CHANDIGARH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2013
Doc's Request.
16-04-2013
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08/05/2013
LANDED..........
wahaguru manu v DATE pan da moka da..
tiger007 said:
Hi,

While applying for extension of study permit, you must submit the "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]" along with follwing dcuments as listed on the checklist: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5555E.pdf

The CIC will extend your study permit, if legally, you are an international student studying on a valid study permit, your course is clearly longer in duration than the validity of your current study permit and you submit the application and all documents correctly, according to the checklist.

Hope it's clear.

tiger bro can u tell me withdrawal police of university of Regina.

tiger007

Champion Member
sandhuboy said:
tiger bro can u tell me withdrawal police of university of Regina.
Hi,

Have you tried GOOGLE or visiting the UoR website? If you type: Withdrawal policy of university of Regina on GOOGLE, you should find it. If in-case, you still cannot find this on UoR website, then just email UoR international students department, about the university's withdrawal policy.. you will receive it via email.
I came across this though:
http://www.uregina.ca/gradstudies/policies/withdrawal-reinstatement.html

Hope it helps.

adi9771

Aug 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
14-02-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-03-2013.
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2013.
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Hope it's clear.

Yeah!! But its lil confusing for me. When you go through the checklist for which you have provided the link. In that in STUDY PERMIT section point six is not clear to me. what does it mean "letter from the institutional registrar and or photocopies of transcript from your last two period of study". and I already told I will not be attending classes from MAY to AUG. then how can I provide transcript ?? please clear this doubt.. rest everything is fine... thanks in advance...