+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing province Immediate after landing

Upton

Mar 26, 2015
Hi I have got Permanent residency visa. My landing airport is Winnipeg, Manitoba but I want to live in Ottawa . After finishing immigration activities in Winnipeg can I take a flight to Ottawa? Will it hamper to get my PR card? Please advise...

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Upton said:
Hi I have got Permanent residency visa. My landing airport is Winnipeg, Manitoba but I want to live in Ottawa . After finishing immigration activities in Winnipeg can I take a flight to Ottawa? Will it hamper to get my PR card? Please advise...
It depends if you got Pr under FSW or Manitoba nomination?

karafili

Mar 13, 2015
polara69 said:
if FSW, sure, no problem. As long as immigration knows where to send the PR card..
Hi polara69,
Your answer is really useful to me (FSW). Do you have any source for this so I can use during my landing?
Thank you in advance!

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karafili said:
Hi polara69,
Your answer is really useful to me (FSW). Do you have any source for this so I can use during my landing?
Thank you in advance!
Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karafili said:
Hi polara69,
Thank you in advance!
Please read above. I, myself, changed destination from AB to ON

karafili

Mar 13, 2015
Thank you tiarachel85!

This is very useful. Luckily I have friends that has arranged housing for me for my first months.

My CoPR shows Vancouver as destination but from your references I can land and stay in Toronto,ON.

All the best!

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karafili said:
Thank you tiarachel85!

This is very useful. Luckily I have friends that has arranged housing for me for my first months.

My CoPR shows Vancouver as destination but from your references I can land and stay in Toronto,ON.

All the best!
You are welcome.

Yes you can land & stay in Toronto.

My COPR had destination AB

Upton

Mar 26, 2015
Thanks everyone. MY visa is FSW but I don't know why they choose my arrival destination(Winnipeg). I have no one there.
If I land in Ottawa, do you think they will allow me to enter or send back to Winnipeg?

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Upton said:
Thanks everyone. MY visa is FSW but I don't know why they choose my arrival destination(Winnipeg). I have no one there.
If I land in Ottawa, do you think they will allow me to enter or send back to Winnipeg?
For sure they will allow to enter & remain in Ottawa !